Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 13

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
"Okay," said Julie, "two more on the List! Who gets the next one?"

"Since we're so close to being finished," said Joe, "why don't we deal them both at once? You know, one for each case."

"That's actually a good idea. You and Amy go out and handle it. I've got some phone calls to make, and a report I need to give to the Judge."

"Okay." Joe looked at the List. "How about you go to Tanya Thompson," he said to Amy, "while I deal with Nate Jones?"

"Sounds good," Amy replied. As they were leaving, she had another thought. "I still can't help thinking about the List having an extra secret..."

"Are you still on about that?" said Julie. "Just get going already!"

Amy's concern didn't go away, but she decided to put it aside for a while. She and Joe then went off on their respective assignments. She took a bus to a nightclub where Tanya was known to hang out. To her horror, the place called itself the Seal Club. No doubt much of its profits went to buying off potential protestors.

Finally, she was at the club. She had to pay an admission fee, and then she learned there was a two-drink minimum. Fortunately, she didn't mind having a few drinks.

She'd been waiting for nearly ten minutes when someone came to her.

"You look bored," the other person said.

"I'm just waiting for someone," said Amy.

"Good luck with that. By the way, the name's Tanya Thompson."

"Amy Westminster. And you're the one I've been waiting for."

"Sorry, I don't swing that way."

"What?!" Amy shook her head. "No! I just mean I had something to talk to you about."

"Oh, I was hoping you were into me. How disappointing. But seriously, what's this about?"

"Not to intrude on your... whatever it is you're doing, but I'm here from the government."

"If you're here about my carbon footprint," Tanya said, "I assure you I've changed my ways. I've been green for two years now."

"That's good to hear," said Amy, "but no. I'm here investigating something called the List of Secrets. There are both names and secrets on it. My teammates and I are going through the List, matching each person to one of the secrets."

"And I was next on the List." Tanya took a drink. "I really don't like the idea of that."

"Take your time. I'm in no hurry. I'll leave you alone for a while-"

"No, please, I wouldn't mind spending some time with you. Just wait here while I do my business."

"I'll come with you," Amy said. "I have to go too."

They went to where the bathrooms were. Amy was going to the women's room, but Tanya went toward the men's room.

"Hey!" said Amy. "The women's bathroom is over here!"

"Oh, damn!" said Tanya. "Old habits die hard."

"What?"

"Wait a minute. Did I say that aloud?" Tanya hesitated. "Could we discuss this after we've gone?"