Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 14

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Amy and Tanya returned to their seats.

"I feel better now," said Tanya.

"I know," said Amy. "Sometimes you don't realize how bad you have to go until you're going. Now, what was you were talking about earlier?"

"Not to intrude on anyone else's privacy, could you just give me the remaining secrets?"

"Sure, I don't see the harm in that." Amy went through the List. "We have driving without a license."

"Don't drive. Don't care to learn."

"Multiple sclerosis."

"Nope. No MS here."

"And transgender."

"Damn!" Tanya frowned. "I should've known someone would find out sooner or later."

"So I can cross 'transgender' off the List?" Amy asked.

"Yeah," Tanya said. "I suppose you're curious about why I did it."

"No, that's none of my business." Amy put the List away. "Besides, now that my job's done, I'd rather we just hang out for a while."

An hour later, Amy was ready to leave. "Well, I'll see you later," she said. She then got on the bus to meet back up with Julie.

On the way, she thought back to everything that had gone on up to that point. At first, she wasn't sure she wanted anything to do with the List Investigation. She felt the List's very existence was an insult to everyone on it. Still, she realized that if she declined the job then someone else would just take her place.

At the same time, she simply could not calm her worries about the List itself. Julie tried to reassure her the extra secret wasn't anything to bother with, but still her mind kept coming back to it. Amy was increasinly convinced there was a secret-holder that somehow ended up unlisted. She would bring it up again when Joe returned, and this time she wasn't intending to back down.

For now, she was content to enjoy the scenery. She then thought about the people on the streets and in the buildings, and she found herself thinking about why she was doing all this in the first place. At first, she supposed, it was just her way to make herself feel better. But now, she felt she'd really done something worthwhile. Of course, once she'd reported Tanya's secret back to Julie, her role in the Investigation would be over. That is, if there wasn't a ninth secret-holder.

Amy now found herself thinking about what she'd do next. Maybe she'd use her accomplishments to finally get that position she'd alway wanted. Or she could give up this career, find a husband, and become a housewife. Unfortunately, the latter option would leave her with less time to spend with the people she'd met during the Investigation.

The bus reached her stop and she got off. She went inside and found Julie taking a nap. She decided she would lie down too, but not before tidying the room up a bit. She turned off the TV and put the used dishes in the sink.

She found Julie's pill bottle across the room. She looked at it and thought about putting it next to Julie, but in the end she left it where it was.