Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 15

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
"Hey, Joe!" said Nate Jones. "Let's get this over with already."

"Hold on, Nate," said Joe. "I just got out of the bathroom."

A minute later, they were in the car heading to the Licensing Office.

"Tell me again," said Joe, "why I'm driving you there in your car."

"Because I don't want to get in trouble again," said Nate. "I got pulled over last week, and almost got busted."

Joe had gone to Nate's house as part of the Investigation. He'd hardly shown up when Nate gave up his secret - not having a driver's license - without being prompted in any way. It turned out he was looking for someone to drive him to the Office.

Finally, they were at the Licensing Office.

"You sure you brought the money with you?" asked Joe.

"Of course," said Nate, who showed off the cash. "I was making sure of that while you were on the toilet."

They went inside, and Joe sat down while Nate took a number.

"I may be a government employee," said Joe, "but goddamn, do I hate bureaucracy."

"Why do you think I put this off?" replied Nate. "You look like you're thinking about something."

"It's just that you and some other person are at the end of the List. Technically, I've finished my assignment, and I'm just here to tie up a loose end."

"Oh, so I'm just a loose end."

"Sorry, that didn't come out right."

"No, it's okay. I should thank you for doing this, even though you're not obligated." Nate heard someone call up his number. "I'll be right back."

By all rights, Joe could just leave right now. Still, he decided to see this one all the way through. Besides, he needed some time to think. With the List finished, Joe couldn't help wondering what job he'd have next. Before he was assigned to the List of Secrets, he was just one screw-up away from being fired. Now, he hoped, he'd proven himself to those who had urged him to leave the public sector and "get a real job".

Finally, Nate returned. "Huh?" he said. "I wasn't really expecting you to still be here."

"Yeah," said Joe. "I just had some things to think about."

"Well, I have my license, so I'll be driving from this point on."

"Fair enough." Joe got up. "It's been real, but I gotta get back to my team."

"If you tell me where you're staying, I can take you there."

So Nate drove to where the Investigators were staying. Joe got out, then they said their goodbyes.

Joe went in to tell Julie what he'd found out, and maybe discuss their future plans.