Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 16

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
"Hey!" said Joe, as he walked in the door. "I'm back."

"Well," said Julie, "what was it?"

"Nate Jones was driving without a license. But I helped him clear that up."

"So all the secret-holders are accounted for. Okay, pack your stuff, we're going back to main office."

"Hold on just a minute," said Amy. "Isn't there something we're forgetting?"

"What?" asked Julie. "What are we forgetting?"

"The last secret!"

Julie sighed. "What about it? There's no one left to go with it."

"Isn't that just a little odd?"

"Maybe we should just let this one go."

"What?" said Joe. "Just ignore the last secret? I'm sorry, but this isn't like you."

"How would you know what I'm like?" said Julie, her irritation growing by the minute. "Seriously, let it go."

They got ready to leave, but as they were heading out, Amy suddenly stopped.

"What is it?" Julie asked.

"Those pills your're taking," said Amy. "They're not supplements."

Julie froze. She began thinking of how to talk her way out of this.

"Yeah," Amy continued, "I looked at your pill bottle while you were napping. You're taking something to help manage neurological symptoms."

"Just repetitive stress from all my typing."

"And that's what caused you to nearly fall down those stairs, when we were visiting that town? Yeah, I remember."

"Come on, accidents happen!"

"And I finally realized how you seemed to be tired a lot of the time."

Julie was now angry. "It's a tiring job," she said. "Just what the hell are you implying?!"

"Seriously, Amy," said Joe. "What's gotten into you?"

Amy didn't stop. "And this bring us back to the last secret. You seem to be rather eager to just write it off."

"I fucking told you already!" shouted Julie. "There's no one on the List! Stop it!" By now she was nearly hysterical.

"I'm convinced now," Amy said. "This last secret on the List... it's yours, isn't it?"

"Where did that come from? Seriously knock it off already!"

Joe walked up to Julie. "Come on," he said, "if there's something you need help with..."

"SHUT UP!" Julie yelled, shoving Joe away.

"That settles it," said Amy.

Julie could no longer contain her panic. "Oh my god," she said, "you've both turned on me."