Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ List of Secrets ❯ Chapter 17

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Joe and Amy couldn't believe what they were seeing. Julie was almost in tears.

"I'm sorry," said Amy, "but when we found out about the List, you knew this could happen."

"Do you have any idea what this could mean?" Julie said. "If this got out, my government career would be over! No one wants to hire a goddamn cripple! I'd be thrown out and forgotten. Then what? I wouldn't have an income or any kind of future. You can't tell the Judge about this. You just can't!"

"Then how come your name wasn't on the List?" asked Joe.

"I don't know," said Julie, who was starting to calm down. "I have no idea how my name managed not to be listed."

"If your secret was listed," said Amy, "then why be an Investigator?"

"I supposed I just wanted to hide in plain sight." Julie took a deep breath. "With my name unlisted, I figured no one would have any reason to bother me. I thought that if I could uncover the listed secret-holders, I could make the List go away."

"So you could continue protecting your own secret."

"Exactly." Julie looked down on the floor. "That certainly backfired."

"I couldn't begin to understand what you've been through," said Amy, "but having MS doesn't make you a bad person. And I know the goverment wouldn't fire you. You've done such a great job of managing your condition that we managed not to notice. After all you've done, they wouldn't throw you away. I just know it!"

Julie smiled. "Thanks, Amy," she said. "You always know what to say. The Judge was right to make you a part of the Investigation. And you have the guts to do the right thing."

"Huh?" Amy was momentarily confused. "Oh, right. I'd forgotten that conversation."

"Hey, you two," said Joe, "don't we have a train to catch?"

"Oh, that's right!" said Julie. "We've missed the one we were going to take, so we might as well take our time."

Julie, Amy and Joe carried their stuff to the train station, then got on the first train that pulled in. On their way to the main office, they found themselves looking at the scenery.

"You seem more relaxed than usual," said Amy.

"Our job's over," said Julie. "This is me when I'm not in 'work mode'. Besides, I'm relieved that I could finally be honest with you two." She looked at Joe. "Sorry for earlier."

"Just remind me not to fight you," said Joe.

They finally arrived at their destination. The Investigators went before the Judge, and Julie gave her full report about the secret-holders, including herself. To her relief, she had indeed been wrong about how her superiors would respond. They even offered to redesign her office to accomidate her condition. For now, though, she declined such help.

"I hereby declare the List Investigation concluded," said the Judge. "You three may have the week off."

"Cool!" said Joe. "A vacation!"

"I'm going home," said Julie. "I guess I'll see you two when I see you."

"If you need me," said Amy, "I'll be at my place." She was going to be on the phone, talking to everyone she'd met.