Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Machinegun Angel ❯ Escape ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Episode 6 "Escape!"

Ophelia had grown tired, and the temperature outside was dropping rapidly. It was time for them to head back indoors. The melted slush on the steps had become a sheet of glare ice, and tiny flakes of snow were beginning to blow around outside in the darkness. As Gauge ate his meal, Ophelia sat in the chair by his side, carefully looking over him. After hearing his story she had only become more attached to him. Her eyes slowly drifted closed, every now and then looking over to see Gauge lying there in the bed, drifting off as well. She felt complete comfort with him by her side.

The two were unaware that behind the scenes, they had aroused the anger of another. Just when they thought they had seen the last of Dublin, he was desperately trying to get his revenge on Gauge for doing what he did. He had figured out Gauge's secret, and was desperate now to get him out of the picture. After all, Ophelia was HIS prize, and he wasn't about to see her taken away by a filthy Sub-Human Clone. Then there was the idea of the reward money. He would never need to worry about working for RUBICON again! He would practically be royalty! His connections to RUBICON would soon become well known.

"Are you SURE he's the one?" A young, yet sinister male voice spoke from the other line. Dublin grinned, and then rubbed his bandaged cheek. "The markings on his back... are they consistent with what was described in the reports?"

"Yes, General. I am sure of it. We have him cornered-- I can guarantee his capture... Now there is the matter of my payment..."

"Rewards will be payable upon the presentation of the body, Desdemona." The voice spoke. "I have sent some of my 'friends' to aide in your capture. Now go and capture our little rabbit once and for all!"

Dublin heard the phone click and he jammed the receiver back onto the hook. Looking behind him, he could see his reinforcements had definitely arrived. Dublin smiled blissfully.

Sentinels.

--
Later that night, Ophelia hadn't even realized she had completely fallen asleep. She suddenly realized that she was no longer in the chair and had instead been placed in the bed where Gauge had once been. She shot up from her resting place, and her eyes widened. "Gauge?" She cried out into the room, fearing he had left.

"Over here." He spoke softly. Ophelia looked over at the window, seeing Gauge standing there. Her jaw nearly completely dropped when his image struck her. She had never seen him so gorgeous! Dressed in a black medium-length trench coat and form-fitting black leather pants with matching boots, Gauge had completely gotten dressed as if he were preparing to make an exit. He wore his skull shoulder guard and gathered all of his things in the black duffle bag that Koto-san had so kindly brought for him. Ophelia sat on the edge of the bed and watched him take the thermometer off the glass windowpane. "I'm not too good at reading, but the red stuff has dropped lower than I've ever seen it drop. It's freezing outside-- maybe too cold for a human to survive outdoors long. Ophelia... I sense something. Something bad... I have to leave this place."

His eyes looked back out the window at the flying snow. Ophelia stepped off the bed and walked over to him slowly. "Are you sure Gauge? I mean... I don't think you really have anything to worry about..." Gauge became very quiet. This worried Ophelia immensely.

He stepped back away from the window. "Ophelia..." he said quietly.

Ophelia did what he said, her heart racing. She had never seen a person act this way before. It was as if Gauge knew and felt something she couldn't...

"GET BACK!!!!" He cried out, and suddenly dove onto her throwing her to the floor. Before Ophelia could even cry out, the window shattered, as well as the entire wall. Bricks and glass shards fell all around them, and the cold air hit them both like needles. Gauge turned from his place on the floor, and saw his worst fear.

A Gestapo Sentinel-- and it wasn't alone.

There before them was a huge chunk of the robotic police army created by RUBICON to control the humans, and sub-humans. They were now locked on Gauge, and were about to stop at nothing to get him into their hands. Gauge covered Ophelia for only a second longer before he gritted his teeth and withdrew his six-shooter from its holster. He fired a round at the first Sentinel, and gave Ophelia a swift shove. His bullets completely missed their marks.

"What's going on?!" She cried out, afraid to let go of him. Gauge stood up onto his feet, dragging her with him.

"They found me. I don't know how, but they've found me. Ophelia if you want to live, you need to get as far away from me as you can!" he fired again, this time, hitting one of the human-sized sentinels and sending it crashing to the ground.

Ophelia clutched his arm. "NO! If you leave here, whether it be dead or alive, I won’t let you leave without me!"

Gauge was completely dumbstruck. "FINE... Then LET’S GO!" He grabbed her by the hair and pulled. Ophelia screamed out in pain, being dragged out of the room and down the hall as Gauge began to run.

The hospital was without a doubt under siege. Sirens and alarms sounded, and Gauge dragged the kicking and screaming Ophelia into an industrial elevator, throwing her up against the back wall. He threw the doors shut and hit the lever to take them up. "OW, YOU BASTARD!!!" she cried out, and then punched him in the arm. Gauge turned to her with a look of determination in his eyes.

"Just shut up and play along! I think I know what's going on here..."

--

Meanwhile, in the lower levels of the hospital, many of the nurses and doctors had been captured and held while the police and military soldiers began their sweep of the entire hospital. Monet, who had been at home for the evening rushed down to the hospital to find it was completely overrun. She was infuriated, but at the same time, she knew this was Dublin's doing. She was not allowed to enter, but she caught a glimpse of that man as she was restrained by soldiers. She wanted nothing more than to spit on him at that moment for what he was doing to Gauge. Her taunts to get his attention were quickly overshadowed by the loud copters overhead; their searchlights scanning the building. Monet only prayed that Gauge and Ophelia would be safe. There was nothing she could do to help them.

Dublin entered the building with his own unit of soldiers and 12 Gestapo Sentinel Units. He was dressed unlike anyone had ever seen him, wearing a long black coat that resembled Rubicon military uniforms. They stormed upstairs, taking out anyone who stood in their way, or tried to protect Gauge's identity. Dublin knew the two were still in the building, since its entirety was surrounded by reinforcements. The only way for them to go would be up, and that’s where Dublin planned on going.

--

Gauge hit the lever to stop the elevator, and once again threw open the gates. He grabbed Ophelia by the arm and pulled her along down a hallway lit only by fluorescent fixtures. It appeared to be storage of some sort. Ophelia knew exactly where they were. This was part of the psychiatric unit. Gauge tried to start running with her, but she ceased him. "WAIT!" She yelled. Gauge stopped dead in his tracks.

"What are you doing this for? Why don't you just abandon me and try to save yourself?"

He looked at her sternly, and then turned away. "Because you and I both know you hate it here. What kind of human, if that’s what I even am, would I be if I left you here? Taking you hostage is the only way to make sure you get out of here safely. If they see you working with me, they will kill you for treason. This is why it has to be done this way."

Ophelia felt her eyes swelling with tears. "Gauge..." She whimpered, looking into his eyes.

"No time for that now, Ophelia. Look, the only way we may be able to get out of here is from the rooftop. My bike is down in the alley behind Shop Street, and we can make our escape that way.."

Gauge was interrupted. "The ROOFTOP???"

"You have to trust me, Ophelia. Do you trust me?"

His gorgeous ruby eyes told her to trust him, but then again, she was unsure. With everything Gauge had done for her in the past month fresh in her mind, she could only tell herself to suck it up and prepare mentally as well as physically for whatever awaited her; no matter how hard it would be to face. Gauge had been nothing but trustworthy and kind to her, so why should she doubt him now?

She took a deep breath. "I know a shortcut to the roof."

--

Dublin and his team of sentinels were also on their way up to the roof. There was no other place for them to hide. Sentinels had now torn the entire hospital apart in search of Gauge. Unfortunately, Dublin also knew all the shortcuts and secret passages that Ophelia knew. It killed him inside to think his beloved would try to help him. His worst fears would soon be realized as he reached the roof.

"LET GO OF THE GIRL AND STEP AWAY FROM THE LEDGE!” announced a voice through a bullhorn. One of the choppers hovered close to Gauge and Ophelia as they stood at the edge of the roof near one of the huge Gargoyles that sat on the edge of the building. Gauge clutched Ophelia's arm.

"Damnit…" He said to himself, looking down at the ground. They were completely surrounded. There was no way they would be able to escape down the side of the building as he had planned. Gauge needed to think fast. A bullet was fired and skimmed the flesh of his left and only arm. He winced, and then gritted his teeth. He needed to think fast! He gently placed a hand on his abdomen and looked up at the sky. The icy wind hit them hard, and Gauge wrapped an arm around Ophelia.

"Let go of her! NOW!" Dublin howled at Gauge. "So we meet again, Sub Human. Unhand my wife and I may decide not to kill you."

Gauge glanced at Dublin through blowing locks of Ophelia's raven hair.

"I SAID UNHAND HER!" He suddenly raised a rifle to Gauge.

Gauge's eyes shot open, and he freaked. His memories poured back to him at that moment. His beloved Ellie, who had die this same way. He feared for Ophelia's life at that moment, and he knew there was only one way to save her, as well as himself. His feet inched closer to the edge of the 15 story building.

"Don't you dare... YOU WOULDNT DARE..."

Ophelia's heart dropped as she felt the two of them begin to rock forward. Within seconds, Gauge had sent the two of them into a freefall off the side of the building.

Ophelia screamed.

"OPHELIA!!!" Dublin cried out, and then realized what was happening. Gauge's eyes began to glow and suddenly, a huge pair of glowing wings ripped out of his back, reaching to a 30 foot span. All Ophelia could do was hold on...

and trust him.


Gauge's hand clutched Ophelia with all of his strength as they were sent into a freefall from the top of the building. He could hear Ophelia's screams, and feel her fingernails digging into his back. He only hoped he had made the right decision. She had said not to leave the hospital without her... He would keep his promise at all costs. Using his newly found adrenaline, Gauge closed his eyes and released his stored energy into the bomb.

Gauge was not yet able to fully control the doomsday device, but he hoped that what knowledge he had of it while in full health would allow him to control it long enough to get them safely to the ground unharmed, and to a safe enough distance away to make a run for it on foot. Gauge's enormous wings of glowing green energy could be seen for miles, and they were definitely not in the clear. They were soon being followed. Gauge knew he couldn't hold onto Ophelia forever, and that somehow he was going to have to lose her, even if it were momentarily, to chase off the choppers on his tail.

His feet slowly drifted to the ground in a dark alley, and he restrained the detonation, the wings retreating back into him. His eyes ceased from glowing, and he gently released Ophelia. Just a few yards away, she could see his motorcycle awaiting him. She knew this location. This was just a few blocks from Koto-san's shop. What was Gauge planning?

"Nursey..." He began "I want you to go to Koto-san's. You'll be safe there." She could hear his teeth chattering as he spoke, and could tell he was cold. There was no question as to why... it had to be at least 4 below zero outside. She watched as he slowly unbuckled his shoulder guard and removed his trench coat, and moved over to wrap it around her to give her warmth. He was now wearing a sleeveless turtle neck sweater, with an arm warmer that didn't look at all like it would keep him warm. Her eyes became huge as saucers as she watched him.

"Gauge... I'm so sorry I got you mixed up in all of this. This is my fault... it really is! I should never have gotten you involved. If you hadn't met me... this never would have happened." She looked to the ground, and he turned back to her.

"Ophelia... please don't say that. If it weren’t for you, I would be dead, and you know that. Besides..." He moved closer to her, and placed a hand on her shoulder. Her aqua eyes looked to him, full of tears. "...I got involved because I wanted to. Because you needed me. I have to go now. I'm not certain I will be back."

Ophelia's heart sank at his words. "What do you mean you won’t be back?! What are you saying?! That you’re going to just leave me here alone?" She was now crying. Gauge could feel his own heart breaking.

"This is a battle I cannot involve you in. Your life is too precious to me. Stop crying and be strong... and maybe I will come back to you alive. They will tear this city apart looking for me, and until they know I am gone, nobody is safe here, not even you. Hold your breath, and DO NOT try to follow me. You hear me? I forbid it!" Gauge turned away from her and walked towards his bike slowly.

Ophelia collapsed to her knees. Her heart wanted to scream out her feelings to him. That she believed she loved him, but her body was as cold as ice and she couldn't do anything but watch him walk away and mount the bike. The sound of the engine roared, and he strapped on his helmet.

"THIS IS NOT GOODBYE YOU HEAR ME?!" He smirked... that gorgeous grin she loved so much, and she feared she would never see it again. As he peeled away out of the alley, Ophelia picked herself up off the ground and tried to run after him. She stopped, reaching her hand out, and felt a warm tear break the iciness of her face. She suddenly became angered, and knew she had to do something or she would never see him again. Ophelia made a run for Koto-san's shop.

--

The nurse ran as fast as she could, cloaked in Gauge's thin leather jacket around the corner where she remembered Koto's thrift shop was. Her feet carried her to the back entrance, where she noticed an old-fashioned rusted up pickup truck. She nearly broke down the door, yelling out for the elderly man.

"MR. KOTO!!" She called out into the shop. Luckily, the old shopkeeper was listening in on a news report over the radio. He knew everything that was happening.

"OPHELIA-CHAN!" He clutched her arm as she struggled to catch her breath. "I heard everything... I figure you two would come here, but Gauge-san... he is not with you... where is he? Is he okay?"

She shook her head. "He took off on his bike... I think he may try to leave Sanction 9! We have to go after him! There are Sentinels all over the city looking for him. If he leaves Sanction 9 he won’t ever be able to come back... and we will never see him again. Mr. Koto..."

She looked around the shop. "That transport vehicle out back... Does it work?"

The shopkeeper was unsure. "It was once used for deliveries by my close friend who passed... I know Gauge-san was trying to fix it... but..."

Ophelia turned to the door. "Give me the keys! I will MAKE IT WORK!" Following her orders, the elderly man pulled a chain of keys off the door and handed them over to her.

"Please be careful Ophelia-chan... I beg you."

She didn't even have time to answer or thank him-- she just took off out the back door once again. The old man closed his eyes and said a prayer for the two of them.

Ophelia threw open the driver's side door of the truck and climbed into the front seat. Never before had she driven a vehicle, but she had seen Dublin do it many times before. Right now, she didn't even care. She was too worried about losing Gauge to think about her own life. Her logic had taken a back seat to her emotions. Placing the key in the ignition she turned it. A thick black cloud of smoke poured out of the exhaust pipe and the engine sputtered. She stepped on the gas and kept trying to turn the key until finally, the engine turned over and the truck started. She immediately cheered for joy, and then pulled out of the parking lot. She didn't even care that she ran over barrels, knocked over a dumpster and took a huge chunk out of the side of the brick building in the process.

Where would Gauge have gone...? Where was a quick way out of the city where Gauge could get a clear escape path...?

It hit her-- the old freeway.

--

The thought had indeed crossed his mind, escaping by the freeway. The only problem would be losing the sentinels and the armored vehicle on his tail. He knew it was without a doubt Dublin chasing after him. What he didn't know was that in one of the choppers was another face familiar to him, and not in the friendliest of ways.

"Have you got our white rabbit cornered yet, Desdemona?" That same sinister voice inquired. His slender, gloved hand held the receiver microphone close to his elegant lips. Brushing aside long locks of perfect crimson hair, General Rogue batted his lashes and looked out the window of the flying transport vehicle. It was quite technologically advanced in comparison to the rest of the city below, after all, it was part of RUBICON, and was carrying a person who was practically royalty. Rogue was the former leader of NEO Faction, controlling the military, and all weapons created by RUBICON. Gauge was solely his responsibility, but after a mistake, he had been demoted. His only quest was to retrieve Gauge and regain his position as Arc General once again. The beautiful man was desperate, as there were other, more personal reasons involved.

"We have him in sight and we are about to close in on him. Don't you fret General Sir. He will be in the palm of your hand soon enough!" Dublin's voice spoke through the line.

Rogue laughed. "You had better, Desdemona. I will not accept failure."

Dublin heard the connection break and he watched closely from his place in the military truck. "He involved my Ophelia..." he spoke, even though he knew the soldier driving was given orders not to respond. "...Now it's personal!"

--With two Spider Gestapo on his back, Gauge knew he would have to take desperate measures to lose them. The two flying units were fast, and were capable of taking him out if they came too close. He was coming up on familiar terrain, and came up with an idea to try and shake the units. He hit the curb and drove down into a water and sewage ditch, entering a pipe. Dublin braced himself as the vehicle skidded to a stop at the guardrails. He cursed, and then watched the spiders enter the sewer pipe. Gauge was trying to escape through the underground tunnels.

"He's entered the catacombs sir... the tunnels once used for underground train transports in the old era. We will have to meet him at the freeway. If he exits, that is our best bet on catching him in his tracks." the female officer/driver spoke sternly.

Dublin gritted his teeth, and nodded.

--

Shaking those spiders was going to be harder than he thought. Gauge was now underground and in the dark. His only means of light was his headlight and the lights from the sentinels following him. His bike took the full impact of the bumpy tracks below him, and he was unsure if his body would be able to handle much more. He felt a sharp pain in his abdomen, and could feel a small amount of warm blood. He suddenly remembered what Monet had told him a few weeks ago, and knew he had to do something. He pulled his bike up onto the old subway tracks and balanced himself. Once he knew he would be able to ride the rails, he picked up speed with a grin and cut a corner. Looking back, he noticed the spiders took the same curve. When he turned back around, he was completely unaware of what was in front of him...

It was too late to hit the brakes, and Gauge let out a yell. The old abandoned subway train car jumped right out in front of him! There was no way he would be able to stop in time, so he decided to go straight through. Fortunately, he made it through unharmed, and even more exiting was the fact that one of the sentinels didn't. The explosion lit up the tunnel behind him, followed by the explosion of the other hitting the wall.

"TAKE THAT YOU BASTARDS! That will teach you to mess with me!"

--

"The sentinels have been taken out sir!" The female officer reported to Rogue as she watched the tracking device. "We are gonna need more units!"

Rogue growled at her. "DAMNIT!! CATCH HIM!!!" He warned. Taking his threat seriously, the vehicle pulled out from its standstill and was on its way to the abandoned freeway.

--

Gauge saw the light for the tunnel's end, which he knew lead to the freeway. The subway tracks traveled alongside the freeway and he would be able to hop over onto flat road that way. He took the exit and made a jump for the highway, hitting the road with a huge thump. He could feel his insides jolt painfully, but he kept on going up the ramp. One or two dimly lit lamp posts lit the old abandoned road here and there; the rest had been taken out during the nuclear blasts over 50 years ago. He dodged patches of dried weeds that had managed to grow up through the bleached out roughed up pavement below. He began to pick up speed seeing a spotlight hover above him. The icy wind felt like shards of glass on his bare shoulders.

Dublin and his vehicle were fast approaching, and now had once again locked onto him.

"He has no idea what is ahead of him. He will either meet death, or you will have your run in with him. The white rabbit will be in our hands in just a matter of time." Rogue spoke quietly, as he pointed out to Dublin what lay ahead in the road.

There, just above the river, the overpass was out. The bridge had been wiped out and had collapsed over time after the war, leading to a 75 foot drop into the icy river below. It was rusted out and the concrete had broken off in large labs. There was nowhere for Gauge to go, and he was completely unaware of this...

--

Ophelia had made it to the freeway and was well on her way behind Dublin's vehicle. She stepped on the gas and felt tears in her eye. She knew all too well about the bridge being out, as she had read about the collapse of the old abandoned overpass. "Don't do it Gauge... DONT DO IT!" She cried out, pushing the pedal down.

--

Gauge looked back only for a second to see the vehicle not far behind him slowing down suddenly. He noticed the choppers slowing down as well overhead, and staying back. Without warning, Gauge suddenly struck a roadblock sign, and let out a cry. His front tire hit a huge rut in the road at a speed of 65 miles per hour, and he completely lost control of the bike. The bike hit the ground and Gauge took a huge spill onto the rusted remains of the old overpass. His body tumbled and tumbled hitting debris, and he braced himself with all he could, until finally he came to a halt just inches from the edge of the collapsed bridge. His mind was left stunned for a minute.

When Gauge finally regained himself enough to open his eyes, he felt sharp indescribable pains all over his body. He had lost his helmet in the fall, and he felt and tasted blood, letting out a heart wrenching cry of pain. It was hard for him to move, and he ached to no end. When his vision focused as much as it was going to in his current state, Gauge could see his bike had stalled and was lying 300 yards from where he had rolled. When he finally gathered enough strength to painfully turn his head, he nearly became sick. He was lying upon an unstable platform of rotted girders that were about to give way to a 75 foot drop to the river below. Gauge was paralyzed with fear and pain... There was nothing he could do-- this was it.

He heard the ominous sound of metal bending and snapping, and he was sent into a freefall.

Darkness followed.

Ophelia was the first to arrive. She hadn't seen the accident, but knew he was there. She screeched out at the broken roadblock signs and jumped out of the truck. Leaving the door wide open, Ophelia ran towards the edge of the bridge, hopping along the broken concrete and steel girders. Her heart pounded, and she cried uncontrollably. In the distance, the light of morning was peeking through the grey sky over Sanction 9, and a freezing wind blew all around her as she saw his bike stranded.

She let out a scream of terror.

Gauge's body was nowhere to be found. She searched everywhere, but there was no sign of him. There at her feet, near the edge were frozen streaks of deep red blood. Her tears soon mixed with it.

He was gone.

"He is dead, Ophelia." A familiar voice spoke from behind her, and she heard footsteps along the crumbling concrete at their feet. She turned slowly to see Dublin standing there, surrounded by others unfamiliar to her.

She cried uncontrollably, and Dublin was in shock.

"There is nothing left to do now but locate the body and dismantle SALVATION 1 once and for all." Another voice spoke. She didn't even care that the figure emerging from the landed copter was the General. She just gritted her teeth.

"You... YOU BASTARD!!!" She screamed at him, throwing her arms out. "YOU KILLED HIM!! YOU KILLED GAUGE, DAMNIT!" Her voice sounded like that of a child screaming. She then tried to calm herself long enough to hear Dublin speak. She stepped back a few inches, closer to the ledge.

"I have saved you from him, my dear Ophelia... Now please... step away from the ledge. It is all over, and we are free to live in peace. RUBICON has promised us a reward for the slaying of that monster... WE WILL BE MILLIONAIRES! ROYALTY! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!?"

There was a look of insanity in his eyes. Ophelia became quiet, and shook her head in disbelief. "Come back to me, Ophelia! You will be my queen, and we can live together... I love you... I need you my dear sweet Flower..."

Dublin reached into his jacket, and pulled out his rifle. He was about to point it to Ophelia, when she suddenly noticed him turn it towards himself.

She stepped closer to the edge. "No, Dublin...” her voice muttered quietly.

"I would rather die than be your wife."

With that said she took the ring off her finger and threw it towards his feet. She closed her eyes, and leaned back...

Dublin saw his beloved fall toward the river to her death.

...and pulled the trigger.