Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Machinegun Angel ❯ Saved ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Episode 7 "Saved!"

"You've returned empty handed, I see." A deep male voice spoke from across a large room. The crimson haired General stood there, between two of his bodyguards, and watched the dark figure behind the screen tap his fingers on the sides of his armed chair. This worried Rogue, knowing he had once again upset his former beloved Archangel.

"All efforts to recover a body have proved unsuccessful so far... I'm afraid it is too cold for any human search parties. The Search Unit Sentinels will continue to scout the area where Salvation 1 was last seen." Rogue's dark eyes met the clean, shiny floor at his feet. He could see his own reflection, although the room was somewhat dark.

Archangel Nova reached over to pet one of the large white lions sitting by his side. Rogue knew the felines all to well from his past relationship with Nova. "For your sake, you had better HOPE that he turns up. Now leave my sight at once." Nova growled. "Your face disgusts me."

Rogue's eyes shot open wide and he gritted his teeth. He watched another figure emerge from behind the screen. "You heard the man..." The aqua-haired young man smirked, blinking his beautiful, yet sinister eyes before the man who had become his arch rival. Rogue nearly hissed at him, his eye twitching as Orion approached, towering over the rather short General.

"...You've already been demoted... lost your lover, as well as your looks. You wouldn't want to lose anything else precious to you, would you?"

Another figure moved closer to where Rogue and the Arc General were standing. It was a tall slender female. "Silence, Arc General Orion. It is not your duty to demean others. Rogue is still a superior officer, maybe not to you, but to an entire army... all so you don't have to lift anything heavier than a nail file. I would hold your tongue if I were you." She spoke sternly, clutching the hilt of her sword. Orion, who knew all too well the wrath of the woman before him, slowly backed away. This was Saffron, Arc General of Genesis Faction, and leader of robotics technology. It was Saffron who was responsible for developing the dreaded Sentinels.

"I will have my eye on you, General. Mark my word-- you will NOT be given another chance." Orion added before making his exit. Rogue turned to make his exit, his bodyguards following. Saffron looked to him, and followed.

He pushed through the double doors to the chamber rather angrily, but was soon halted by the female Arc General. "Rogue...” her voice was just about the only thing soothing to the enraged General at the moment.

"What..." he spoke softly, turning to her, “...Arc General...?"

"You can't continue this losing battle... it's killing you. You know it and I know it. Even if you do manage to find Salvation 1, what are the chances of regaining your title as Arc General?" Saffron looked into Rogue's eyes, and he for some reason could see something in her that he had never seen before. For just a moment, she reminded him of someone he once knew...

"I must do this for myself, Saffron. If not for anyone else, than for me. I thank you for everything you've done for me thus far." Rogue continued to walk way from her.

Saffron knew this was a lot coming from a person so corrupted by evil and power. Her heart ached for him, the object of her desire. Seeing him hurting like this tore her apart. She only wished that Rogue would accept her into his life as she wished he would.

--

A warm feeling had almost completely overcome Gauge. It was comforting to him, feeling handfuls of soothing warm water being poured over his head. A gentle hand carefully stroked his hair, and another cradled his head in such a delicate way. As his body was lifted from the warm bath, Gauge felt himself being carried in someone's arms. It was then, that he felt a blinding pain that flowed through his entire body. His head hurt... his legs hurt... it was as if he had just fallen off a cliff.

It was close to that. His memories came flooding back instantaneously. The accident; followed by falling through the corroded bridge. He remembered gaining just enough strength to catch one of the girders and keep himself from falling. It was pitch black, and the icy air made it hard for him to breathe and hold onto the steel for long. The pounding wind made it impossible for him to hear what was going on above him. Then, he saw her fall. Ophelia!! Gauge's eyes opened wide and he knew he could not let her die. As she fell, he released the girder and tried to regain his strength enough to use Salvation 1. Unfortunately, his body had been too ravaged in the accident, and it was impossible. Just as Ophelia's body struck the icy water, he soon followed. It felt as if a thousand swords pierced his already wounded body.

Gauge barely had enough strength to move, but he managed to grasp Ophelia's limp hand. The shock of the icy water drained the blood from his limbs, and he fell limp within seconds. Before his head became submerged in the black water, he could hear the sound of two dogs barking loudly from the river's edge. It was then that he fell unconscious and slipped beneath the surface.

Gauge felt that same pair of hands carefully checking over his body. He lay in a comfortable bed, surrounded by pillows and soft blankets. Although he was in agony, this was the warmest he had been in a long time. His eyes finally dragged open and focused in the bright light of the room. He smelled the scent of clove cigarettes hanging in the air around him, and he knew immediately where he was. He was very much alive, and in a chair next to him, sat Virgo.

Virgo took a drag off of his clove cigarette and placed it in the ashtray on the night stand. "Ah, you’re awake now. I knew a hot bath would bring you around. You are one lucky bastard, you know that don't you?" The middle-aged man laughed, pushing Gauge's damp hair back off his bruised, scratched up face.

"Virgo-sama?” Gauge managed in a weak voice. "How...?"

Virgo smiled to him, and removed a roll of clean bandages from the kit on the bed next to Gauge. He began to cleanse the wounds on his face and chest with iodine. Gauge winced and let out a cry of pain. "My dogs fished you and that... girl... out of the river. What you were doing in the river when it's 10 below zero outside is beyond me. You keep this lifestyle up, and I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to lock you up here to keep you from getting yourself killed."

Gauge sat up in the bed slowly. He was shocked he hadn't broken any bones in the crash, or the fall. As a matter of fact, he was still trying to comprehend he was still alive. "I went down to the river to see what all the commotion was about. I heard choppers and sirens and assumed it was a matter to be concerned with. I was fortunate enough to see you and send my hounds. You're hurt, but I imagine you will heal just fine."

Just then, it hit Gauge. His eyes shot open. "OPHELIA!!" he yelled out, searching the room for signs of her. Virgo reassured him by placing a hand on his.

"She is resting in the guest room. Don't worry, she is doing fine. I wouldn't be concerned with that right now. You haven't eaten well. Your stomach is nearly concave..."

Gauge sighed in relief, and bowed his head. Virgo continued taking care of his wounds, wrapping his chest in bandages and covering various cuts and abrasions. "Thank you, Virgo-sama." He smiled charmingly to his rescuer. Virgo finished, and moved closer to him, sitting on the edge of the bed. He grabbed his cigarette, and took a long drag. Gauge watched his deep emerald eye gazing endlessly into his, as Virgo raised a hand to once again caress Gauge's cheek. Gauge's hand reached to his, and he remembered what Monet had told him in private back at the hospital. His eyes closed and he turned his head away in shame.

Virgo moved closer to Gauge and released his breath of smoke into Gauge's face. His lips searched for Gauge's, but he only succeeded in finding his neck. Virgo began to place gentle kisses down his neck and then attempted to reach his lips once again. "I missed you so much, my sweet beautiful Gauge. Oh how I have longed for the moment where I could touch you once again, and hold your body close to mine. I need you... right now... please..." He began to remove his clothes.

"...Virgo-sama... there is... something... I have to tell you." Gauge breathed, but he could feel Virgo's warm, rugged, sexy body against his.

"Anything you have to tell me can wait!" His legs parted and he allowed for Virgo's entry. All the comfort of Virgo inside of him seemed to ease his worried mind, and he wrapped his arm around the man before him. Gauge let out a cry of pleasure into the room.

He was unaware that a pair of aqua eyes had been watching from behind the cracked hallway door.

Ophelia, who had recently awoken from her own deep sleep, clutched the robe around her tightly. She nearly fell to her knees watching them make love to each other in the silhouette of the large window. Her suspicions about the strange white-haired man were true... he was Gauge's lover. How could Gauge have been so cruel as to get her hopes up, while he had another-- a MAN at that, waiting in the wings? She felt a tear stream down her cheek, but it was her own fault for thinking she could have meant anything more to Gauge than just a friend. She turned and ran back to the room, shutting the door and falling into tears.

--

It wasn't until the following evening that Ophelia awoke to the sound of a knock at the door. Dragging herself out of the bed, she focused on the elaborate guest room that surrounded her. The bed was large and exquisite, the curtains hanging from tall gothic windows. Antique paintings of queens and monarchs that were set in gorgeous frames decorated the walls, along with a wrought-iron vanity. The bed was covered in satin sheets fit for royalty.

"This is the housekeeper... The Lord of the manor would like to know if you are coming to dinner, Ms. Desdemona." A female's voice spoke from behind the door. Ophelia looked up and saw a brand new set of clothes had been placed on the chaise lounge. She walked over to the dress and knelt down to touch it. She noticed a small note, and on it had been written Gauge's name. It was clear to her that Gauge had picked the dress for her to wear while her clothes were being cleaned.

"Yes... I will be there... in a few minutes." she spoke. Ophelia's heart still ached thinking about what had happened the previous night. She still couldn't allow this to prevent her from thanking Virgo for rescuing the two of them, or thanking Gauge for rescuing her from the hospital. She just couldn’t restrain her feelings of jealousy for Virgo, no matter how hard she tried.

Little did she know, Virgo was having trouble restraining his jealousy for her as well.


The world outside was a pale purple, as the city had just fallen into night, and a snow storm had begun to overcome the buildings in the distance. Ophelia had taken just a few seconds to look outside one of the huge guest room windows in hopes of recognizing some kind of landmark. It was clear to her that she was in a part of the city that she had never seen before. It was very industrialized, and from what she could make out in the blizzard, they were very close to a factory. The blinking lights could still be seen in the haze of snow.

It was occurring to her more and more that this Virgo man was extremely wealthy and powerful in the city of Sanction 9. She wondered why, since he was part of RUBICON, he became so close to Gauge, and ignored the opportunity to gain any kind of reward for turning him in. This bothered her to no end. She stepped away from the window and allowed the curtain to fall shut once again. Stepping away, she turned and looked at the brass full-length mirror at her reflection. She was interrupted by a sudden knocking at the double doors.

"I told you, I'm coming!" She snarled.

"Ophelia?" A familiar voice inquired from behind the doors. Her eyes lit up like candles as she heard Gauge's voice. Despite knowing what she knew about Gauge and Virgo, she couldn't help the overwhelming relief that came over her at the sound of his voice speaking her name. The following night, she had feared him to be dead, and once again, fate had brought them back together.

Ophelia ran over and pulled open the doors.

Gauge was standing there before her with a huge grin on his face. Her eyes searched him over and noticed how he had been washed up and dressed in brand new clothes. A gray ribbed sweater hugged his body and was decorated with a large riveted belt. It hung down off of his shoulder where she noticed underneath he was wearing a sleeveless turtleneck shirt. He wore tight leather pants, and his legs were absolutely perfect. He was barefoot, as she soon discovered he liked to be. His face was bruised, but was barely noticeable when she saw how his hair had been done up in tall spikes. Clumps of his bangs hung down over his scarred left eye. Both eyes were lined in mascara and a smoky shadow. She nearly melted at the sight of him, but instead, fell into his arm.

"Oh hey!" his voice said quietly, and he smiled. He could feel her trembling, and crying on him. He wrapped his arm around her to offer comfort.

"You're alive... You're... I thought you were dead... I thought that you were..." She repeated, and then pulled away. She became quiet for a second, and then punched him lightly in the shoulder. "Don't you ever do that to me again, you hear me!?"

Gauge grinned, his eyes squinting into little black crescents. "Hey Nursey, it's okay! You know I can't be killed off that easily. Now, come on! Virgo made us POT ROAST!" He grabbed her arm and tugged. "The dress looks nice on you. It matches your eyes perfectly!"

As Ophelia was led down the hall, she looked down at the powder pink dress. It hardly matched her eyes, but she blushed anyways, and smiled at Gauge's comment. Ophelia suddenly stopped in the hallway, as she passed a half-open pair of double doors. Her eyes glistened at the sight of what was inside.

"What is it...? The food is gonna get cold!" Gauge watched her look inside, her eyes meeting with over 300 gorgeous porcelain dolls all placed in various areas of the large room. Someone Virgo knew, or perhaps even he, was very much into collecting these elaborate works of art. Many of them looked quite old, as if they were antiques from the past era.

"They’re so beautiful! Does Virgo collect dolls?" She asked, reaching out to touch one.

Gauge gently pulled her hand away. "Don't touch them... they are very expensive. They belonged to someone very special to him. If anything happened to one of them..."

"Who?" Ophelia was being her usual nosy self, but she just had to know if there was someone other than Gauge in the picture.

Gauge hung his head low and there was a pause of silence. "Come on, Nursey." He once again tried to lead her away to change the subject. "Our dinner is gonna get cold. And that wouldn't make Virgo very happy."

Ophelia glanced at him, and then back into the room for only a second before she was pulled away. She wondered if before Gauge came along, there was someone else in Virgo's life that was very important to him. Instead of bringing up painful questions she decided she would wait, and possibly do some research on her own later on.

--

"The winter storm has picked up dramatically." Virgo spoke as the three of them sat around the edge of his large dining room table. Servants brought courses and pewter dishes to the table and uncovered them. Gauge licked his lips at the smell of the exquisite food before him. "What kind of host would I be sending you out into this kind of weather? I'm afraid you two won’t be able to leave here at least for a few days. You are welcome to stay as guests here as long as you like. My servants will tend to you as needed." The white-haired man lifted his glass of scotch and drank. A glass of wine had been placed before Ophelia, and a glass of whiskey before Gauge.

Wine-- the thought of having something so rare and so delicate within her reach made Ophelia feel like a princess, if only for a minute. The thought of all the glamour and expensive things was quickly beginning to wear off and she was feeling slightly uncomfortable. The sight of those poor homeless clones on the street... it was eating away at her. Even herself. Even though she worked for RUBICON, she was still working class, and was lucky to have heat in the small apartment she had once shared with Dublin. The hospital was run-down and in need of repair so badly, yet there was this wealthy factory lord drinking wine and eating expensive foods. She looked to the glowing fireplace on the wall and then to Gauge, who was deeply gorging himself on food covered in gravy, and bread. All of these things didn't at all faze him... Or maybe they did, and he was just taking advantage.

"I want to thank you, Virgo, Sir for saving our lives. It was so kind of you to take us in... Especially me... I know I'm quite the stranger to you." Ophelia looked to him, watching him drink. She noticed he didn't touch his food at all, and this made her a bit concerned.

He placed his glass down on the table. "As I told Gauge, you two are very lucky. Next time, you may not be so fortunate.” Virgo turned suddenly to Gauge, who had ceased shoveling food down his gullet to grab his abdomen.

"MMH!" He groaned, wincing, then his eyes widened. Ophelia and Virgo turned to him, and watched him throw his fork down, cover his mouth and jump up from his chair. They watched as he made a run for the dining room doors and down the hall towards the bathroom.

Ophelia smirked. "That’s what he gets for eating so fast! You think he would learn to slow down once and a while..."

"I'm not sure that is the case. He has been getting sick all day. This morning, it was particularly bad. I offered to call for a doctor, but assumed it would wear off as the day passed." Virgo placed his cloth napkin back on the table, and poured himself another drink.

"Come to think of it... Gauge was sick a lot at the hospital too. Every day when he woke up he would get so nauseated. It was worrying me for a while, but he would always say he felt fine later on in the day. Hmm... It’s funny, isn't it?" Virgo had filled Ophelia's glass a bit more with the deep red wine.

"Go ahead. It is one of the oldest in my collection. It has a very sweet, rich flavor."

Ophelia closed her eyes-- she couldn't hold back anymore. "No thank you. I'm sorry, and I don't mean to insult your hospitality, but I find it quite disturbing how you RUBICON types can gorge yourself like this and allow others to live on the streets in poverty. I'll admit I've sold myself to the likes of people like you... but still. I've seen with my own eyes the pain and suffering that goes on out there. Here you are drinking wine... made from fruit grown in laboratories and greenhouses because the soil cannot be cultivated. This meat even... from animals that once flourished now endangered of extinction. I'm sorry, but I just can't."

Virgo placed the wine bottle down on the hardwood table. He couldn't help but smirk. "Such bold words young one. If you weren't a lady, I may be inclined to slap you." He leaned back in his chair casually. "But you are right; yes this world, being as FUCKED up as it is... some of us have sold our souls more than others to gain the things that we have. It all depends on how you wish to live. You can die on the streets, cold and alone just to hold onto your so-called 'beliefs'. Even in the old era human beings sacrificed in order to survive. It all depends on how much you are willing to give up in order to have these things. You... have you not given up on your beliefs in order to live a life of comfort? To have food, and shelter... a man to return to every night, although you would rather not?"

Ophelia snarled at him. "THAT is none of your business!" She folder her arms and looked away angrily.

"The truth hurts, does it not? I say these things because if you truly wanted to say what you just said to me, you would THINK about your OWN decisions before judging someone else on theirs." Virgo lifted his glass once again and drank. He drank until the entire glass was emptied, and then filled it once again. "By the way, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but your husband Dublin... he is dead."

Ophelia's eyes widened. "What?" despite her hate for him, she couldn't help but feel a lump form in her throat.

"Apparently the reports talk of him not being able to cope with the thought of his beloved wife committing suicide, and he put a pistol to his head. I apologize for being the one to tell you this. You and Gauge have also been reported as dead, but since your bodies were not recovered, as of now, you are missing."

"...Dublin..." She shook her head. "As much of a bastard as he was... he really did love me after all."

Virgo shook his head. "I don't think it was love, as much as it was an obsession. You very well may be better off on your own. Only time will tell."

"At least, I still have Gauge. I don't know what I would do without him." She smiled, and wiped her eyes with the napkin.

Virgo swirled his drink around in the glass. "I wouldn't hold him to any promises he may have made to you, Ophelia. You do realize he is still in love with another, don't you? Gauge is like the wind. He will remain here as long as it is beneficial to him, or until his luck runs out. Then just like the wind, he will shift direction and head elsewhere. You, like I, am just another stone in his path."

"That's not true! You don't know what he said to me... About certain things..."

Virgo couldn't help but laugh as he stood up and took his cane.

"You are a naive, foolish young girl. You do realize the only reason you've gotten as close to him as you have, is because you remind him of Ellie. Ellie was a nurse, just like you. Once he realizes you are nothing like her, he will move on, and you will be left in the dust."

Ophelia wiped her eyes. Virgo could be so cruel! She was wondering if he was just being brutally honest, or if this was a ploy to get her away from him, and allow Virgo, Gauge's full attention once again. She was beginning to realize this was exactly what he was doing. She knew she had to retaliate.

"And what about you, Virgo? What will happen to you when Gauge decides he no longer has any use for you? How will you feel then? How will you feel when you’re all alone without him, and all you have left is your pride and your expensive..." she searched the table "...forks... and... your fancy wine... and your liquor!? I hope that it will bring you comfort, because you will be by yourself as well as I will be!" She stood up and placed her hands firmly on the table.

"Besides, he is nothing but a piece of ASS to you anyway! You probably don't even know the meaning of LOVE do you, you old PERVERT!?"

Virgo picked up a vase from the pedestal near the window and prepared to hurl it in her direction, when all of a sudden the double doors opened and Gauge appeared. The two froze in their places.

"...Okay guys, what did I miss?" He scratched his head. Virgo glanced at Ophelia, and then she glanced back at him.

--

Ophelia found herself being dragged down the hallway towards a pair of large double doors. Virgo held her wrist firmly, and gave her a swift push through them. "OW! YOU CAN’T DO THIS TO ME! This is ABUSE DAMNIT! I'm gonna call the Gestapo on you, you old haggard man beast!"

Virgo released her wrist and she fell to the cold floor behind the doors. "Shut up, wench! You will remain here until your stay is over. And I don't want to see your face again until it is on its way out my door, do you understand me?! My servants will bring you your meals and the hell I care if you bathe or not. Mouthy little bitches like you deserve to lay in your own FILTH! Good DAY." Virgo threw shut the large doors and locked them from the outside. Ophelia gasped, and jumped up, tugging on the handle to try and open them. When she realized she couldn't, she began pounding on them.

"LET ME OUT OF HERE! YOU CAN’T DO THIS TO ME!" When she realized that Virgo was gone, and that she was alone in what looked to be a dark empty room with no windows, she turned her back to the doors and slid down to the floor. She heaved a sigh. Perhaps she had been a bit nosy, and a TAD mouthy to the man who had altogether saved her life, offered her a place to stay, and welcomed Gauge into his life although he was a wanted criminal. Now she was screwed. Her only hope was that Gauge wouldn't be mad at her for what she had done.

--

The truth is Gauge was completely out of the loop with the whole situation. Virgo had ordered a huge slice of banana cream pie to be delivered to Gauge, who was resting on the bed in Virgo's quarters. He would usually have devoured the pie, but instead took small bites.

"Your female friend has decided to return to her quarters early tonight. She has asked to not be disturbed... I apologize on her behalf."

Gauge looked onward at the fireplace, and watched Virgo remove his shirt. His scarred chest was so firm and defined for a man of his age. Gauge turned away.

"Are you feeling better now, Gauge? Would you like more tea?" Virgo offered. Gauge shook his head.

"Remember last night...? I said there was something I had to tell you... it's really important that I tell you." Gauge watched as Virgo went over to his safe and unlocked it. "Why... I keep getting sick and... Other things..." Gauge watched as he removed a wad of money and a box from it and closed the door. He made his way back over to the bed, as if he was completely ignoring him.

"This is your payment for last night. I hope that it is as generous as you are to me. For tonight, I have a little something more planned for us." Virgo touched Gauge's soft cheek and pushed his gray hair to the side.

"What is... that?" Gauge asked, watching him carefully open the box. Virgo admired the contents for a few moments before handing it over to Gauge.

It was a diamond wedding ring.

"This ring belonged to my beloved Jade, and I would like you to wear it... just for tonight, if you would."

Gauge blushed as Virgo slipped the ring onto his finger. He knew exactly what was in store, and looked to him with huge, ruby eyes.

--

Ophelia had finally managed to locate a light switch, and when she did, she could see nothing but red. She finally realized that she was in some kind of lab. Before her were a large table and a few strands of string where she noticed there were pieces of paper hanging. The smell of chemicals was pretty strong in the air. When she approached the table, and could finally get a glimpse at the hanging papers, she realized exactly what was going on.

She covered her mouth. This was a photography lab! The first picture she saw was a photograph of Gauge, dressed in a beautiful gown. He looked absolutely amazing! Another depicted him in a summer dress lying on the bed. There were many pictures of him made up to look like a woman... But why was Virgo photographing Gauge like this?

There on the wall, was the largest photograph of them all. It became clear to her that this was not Gauge, but the woman in the picture resembled him very closely. Although she could not see the colors, she could tell this short haired woman was indeed a clone. Beside the picture, were more photographs and newspaper articles. One photo was of Virgo, that same woman, and a young girl. There was a caption written in ink.

'Virgo, Jade and Lucy', they were a family. Jade must have been Virgo's wife... Lucy, their child...

Then there were the newspaper articles. They told of a robbery in which a young mother and her child were shot and killed. Ophelia covered her mouth when she realized this was indeed Virgo's family that had been taken from him. Photographs of his daughter with all of her dolls that he and Jade had bought for her were there on the board as well. It was many years ago that he lost them, but she soon realized why Virgo had taken such a liking to Gauge. His resemblance to Jade was absolutely striking.She couldn't help but cry, knowing how she had upset him earlier. She had been completely unaware of what happened.

--

Virgo took his camera in his hands and stepped backwards. "Beautiful-- absolutely stunning. You are nothing short of perfect, Jade my love" He whispered.

Gauge ran his hand across his midriff, feeling a bout of nausea, and then steadied himself. He wore the huge wedding ring on his finger along with an exquisite bridal gown. He blinked his mascara and shadow-lined eyes, and allowed Virgo to photograph him over and over, still withholding the secret he so desperately needed to tell him.