Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Mafia ❯ Volume Two, Chapter Seven: Charm ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Even after all these years, Boris still loved her. Ruri was still beautiful like she was in her twenties. No wonder the boys called her the Siren. When she was younger, Ruri turned heads. Not so much now, but Boris didn't care.

Right now, she didn't look happy. He couldn't blame her. They were in her home. They only let her go to work. His boss is holding her son for marriage. She's not happy. He doesn't blame her. Which was why he had to make things better.

It was Boris' shift tonight.

“I could go with you,” one of the mobsters said. Boris waved him off.

“No, I'm good,” he said. His colleague frowned, unconvinced.

“You sure?” he asked.

“Yeah, yeah,” the older man said. He noticed the look on his comrade's face.

“What?” Boris asked. The younger man shook his head.

“Nothing,” he said. “It's just…”

“What?” Boris asked again. His colleague looked around for a moment. The younger man leaned in closer.

“It's the Siren,” he said. “She could… you know…” Boris narrowed his eyes. The younger man closed his mouth. Boris frowned as he got into the car. The younger man looked concerned as he waved.

“Good luck…” he muttered under his breath. He turned and walked into the house.

----------

Ruri sat on her couch looking angry. She couldn't talk to her son just yet. They were going to see this wedding through. She didn't want Mikhael in the mob life. It almost killed his dad. Ruri buried her head in her hands.

“I can't lose him too!” she wailed. Then there was a knock on the door. Ruri paused. What now?

She got up and walked to the front door. The woman looked out the peephole. Boris stood outside, waiting. Her heart jumped into her throat. She fumbled to unlock the door.

“Good evening,” Boris said.

“Good evening,” Ruri mumbled. She shifted her eyes away from him.

“Aw, what's wrong?” the Russian man asked. She didn't answer. He turned her face toward him.

“Talk to me,” Boris said. “Aren't you going to let me in?”

“Uh… okay…” she said. Ruri took a step back.

“Thank you,” the Russian man said. He walked into the house.

---------

They sat together on her couch. Neither one spoke. She wouldn't even look at him. Boris couldn't think of anything to say. Why am I so nervous? We've known each other for years! I should just talk to her!

Boris clenched his fists on his lap.

“I like you,” he said aloud. Ruri turned her head.

“Huh?” she asked. The Russian gangster turned to her.

“I have fallen for you,” he said. “Truth is, I have loved you for years.” He reached for her hand. Ruri drew back her hand as she blushed. Boris stared at her.

“Is something wrong?” he asked. She doesn't say a word at first.

“I'm… I'm…” Ruri said. “That's sweet. But…” Boris frowned.

“It's him, isn't it?” he asked. Ruri nodded once. Boris sighed.

“But he's dead,” he said.

“I know,” she said. “But he was my husband. I love him so much.” He took her by the hand.

“But you can't stay alone forever,” the Russian man said. He took her by the hand.

“But you can't stay alone forever,” the Russian man said. “Aren't you lonely?” Ruri trembled as she pressed her lips together.

“I… I…” she said. He leaned in and kissed her on the lips. Her body went stiff. She didn't know whether to push him off or give in. She just froze. Boris finally pulled away. She stared at him with big eyes. Boris cleared his throat. He lost what he was going to say. Ruri couldn't look at him. Still, he won't give up on her. They weren't young anymore. He decided that might as well try. The Russian man inched his hand toward hers again but she pulled away.

Charm