Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Mafia ❯ Volume Four, Chapter Thirteen: Small Talk ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

People will always talk. That's just human. Too bad Mikhael and Valentina were the latest target of the talk. It just takes the wrong person to see the wrong thing. And then it gets out of hand.

-Mikhael-

What the hell is this? Why do they keep staring at me? I don't like it. What's going on? They act scared of me.

“What?” I asked. Two freshmen stared at me before running off. I waved in a feeble attempt.

“Uh… okay. Bye then,” I said. That's been going on for days. My friends look awkward around me.

“What is with everyone?” I asked. “Why are they acting like this?” Jim and Akiko didn't want to answer me. I looked at them.

“Guys?” I said again. Jim lifted his chin.

“Well…” he said.

“What?” I asked. He looked like he didn't want to say it. Akiko sighed.

“They think you and Valentina are dating,” she said. I stood stunned.

“What?!” I asked.

“Sorry, dude,” Jim said. I groaned as I slapped my forehead.

“Gah!” I shouted. It didn't take long for me to hear the rumors. I wasn't the only one who was suffering from them.

Akiko had people staring at her too. The girls started whispering about her. They pretended she couldn't hear them but she did.

“She's bold to steal Valentina's man.”

“Shameless woman.”

“What a slut.”

“Valentina will kill her.”

“I wouldn't want to be her.”

“It's her funeral.”

The talk kept going on and on. Akiko pretended it didn't faze her. But I could see the cracks.

“I'm about to go crazy!” she complained. I put up my hands.

“Okay, okay,” I said. “I get it.” My girl glared at me.

“Do you?” she asked.

“Fine. I will talk to her,” I said. Akiko bowed her head.

“Thank you,” she said. I breathed out. Why did this keep getting worse for me?

----------

How was Valentina taking this? I found her in an empty club room. She sat at a table in the dark.

“What do you want?” she asked. I quietly walked into the room. I had to be careful of how I was going to do this. Valentina's mood could turn on a dime. I couldn't tell how she was right now. Might as well get this over with. I lifted my chin.

“Have you heard the rumors around the school? About us?” I asked. She didn't answer at first. I could barely see her face, but I could tell she had her eyebrow raised.

“What about them?” Valentina asked.

“That we're a couple?” I said. There was another pause. She broke down laughing. I looked so confused.

“Valentina?” I asked. She laughed for a good five minutes.

“We aren't,” she said in a deadpan tone.

“I know,” I said. “But they don't.”

“So?” Valentina asked.

“Can't we do something about it?” I asked. “Please.”

“No,” she said. I stared at her with big eyes.

“Why?!” I shouted.

“Don't care,” Valentina said.

“Well I do!” I said. Valentina shrugged at me.

“What do you want me to do about it?” she asked. “They're just going talk anyway.” I closed my mouth.

“So… what? I just ignore it?” I asked.

“Yes,” Valentina said, nodding.

“But… What about Akiko?” I asked. She shrugged at me.

“Not my problem,” she said. I sighed and dropped my head. I should've known. I was going to have to be on my own for this. It just kept getting worse and piling up for me.

Small Talk