Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Mafia ❯ Volume Seven, Chapter Twenty-Seven: Escapee ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-Mikhael-

I think I put a target on my back. It started with a wrong phone call. I made it to my room. That was close. I rubbed my forehead. What now? I took a breath. I flopped down onto my bed. I looked up when my phone rang.

Hm?

I reached over and picked it up. One missed call. I frowned as I squinted at the screen. I don't recognize the number. I sat up and unlocked my phone. Now, I should've just deleted the message and moved on from there. Instead, I hit play.

The call didn't last long. I couldn't really hear anything at first. I strained to listen. And then the call ended. I had to play the message three more times. I could make out two words.

“Help me.”

I sat up straight. That sounded like a girl. She's in trouble. But wait a minute. Was this real? I hoped it wasn't. I stared at my phone. The number was still there. I held my breath. Was I really going to do it?

I hit redial. I held my breath as it started ringing. What did I do that for? Maybe…

“Hello?” a small voice asked. I sat up straight.

“Did you call me earlier?” I asked. There was a pause.

“I'm so sorry!” the voice said.

“No, no, don't hang up!” I shouted. Another pause.

“Hello? Are you still there? Hello? Hello? Hello?” I asked.

“Yes,” the voice said. I relaxed.

“Oh, good. What is your name?” I asked.

“Andie.”

“Nice to meet you. Where are you?”

“I… I don't know. I'm sorry I called.”

“Are you safe where you are?”

“No! Look, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to call you.”

“It's fine. How did you get my number?” Another pause.

“Accident.”

“Okay. You said, `help me', didn't you? Are you in danger?”

“Yes.”

That answer reminded me of that book. Could she be…

I heard shouting in the background on the other line.

“Andie? Andie, who is that?” I asked.

“I'm sorry!” she shouted.

“Andie!” I shouted. But she already hung up. I stared at my phone.

“Andie…” My stomach dropped.

--------

Two Solashka dogs listened outside Mikhael's door. They looked at each other. One of them grinned.

“Is this it?” he asked.

“Yes comrade,” his fellow dog said.

“What do we do now?” the younger one asked.

“Trail him,” the other man said. “I have just the thing to deal with all of them.” The men softly chuckled.

----------

-Mikhael-

I have to help her. But I don't know how. I only have her name. Nothing else. She sounded so young too. I gritted my teeth as I messed up my hair. Grrr! What the hell am I doing?! I didn't have a choice anymore. I had to help Andie.

Escapee