Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ My Ghost ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

My Ghost
-
Chapter Seven
-
© 2008 Ohne Sie
 
Author's note: Oh my God, you guys! I never thought anyone would actually LIKE my stories, but apparently there are quite a few of you. It's a lot of pressure to be under, but thank you. Hopefully this chapter continues to meet your standards. Wow. I honestly never expected any reviews except by the two people who know who they are. Thank you so much. ^^ I'm sorry this chapter is so late, but I moved and just had a chance to get online and upload it.
 
 
Callie found herself in the library, once again, when she got out of school. She approached the assistant who had helped her the day before.
 
“I was wondering if there was any way to do a search for wedding announcements and birth announcements and things like that without having to go through every single disc. Because I don't know exactly when the events happened.”
 
The assistant frowned. “Maybe, but there's no guarantee that the search will find it or that there will even be anything.” She walked Callie to the back room and opened a file on the computer, which had what was apparently a very long list of links. She clicked on one that read, “Wedding announcements” and a much longer list of links opened.
 
“Wow,” Callie said.
 
“Well, if you know what you're looking for, it should be a lot easier. Just search for it. You know how to do that, right?”
 
Callie nodded. She waited until the assistant had left the room and typed in the name “Edward Johnson.” Several results appeared. She clicked on the third one, which read, “Edward Johnson to Nora Miller, January 15, 1930.”
 
“I bet they had kids around that time, too,” Callie said. She clicked on the first list of links and selected “birth announcements.” Then she searched for “Edward Johnson” again.
 
“Okay, so…Mary Johnson, born to Edward and Nora Johnson, April 4, 1932. And Andrew Johnson, born on June 17, 1936. I'm guessing that Andrew is Aaron's and Ashley's grandfather, since…well, their last name is Johnson.”
 
She did another search in “birth announcements,” this time for “Andrew Johnson.” There was only one result other than Andrew's own birth.
 
“One kid, huh?” Callie said, clicking on the link. “Joseph Johnson, born on October 30, 1964. So, finally…” She did one more search, for Joseph Johnson, this time, and found…
 
“Nothing.” Callie sighed dejectedly. “Seriously? He never got married or had kids or anything?” Hanging her head, Callie gathered up her bookbag and headed out of the library.
 
She walked outside at four o'clock, just as her mother pulled into the parking lot. Callie ran toward the car. She opened the door and paused, making a face at her sister in her car seat. Carrie's face lit up. Callie smiled back at her and climbed in the front seat.
 
“How was school?” her mother asked.
 
“It was cool,” Callie said. “I ate lunch today.”
 
“Yeah, your father told me you didn't eat yesterday, even though I packed your lunch for you. What did you end up doing with it?”
 
“Oh, I ate it last night. I got pretty hungry around midnight.”
 
Her mother frowned, turning the key in the ignition. The motor hummed. “Callie, you know you shouldn't eat in the middle of the night. It makes you have weird dreams.”
 
Callie cocked her head to the side, pondering what her mother said. “Weird dreams, huh?”
 
“Yeah,” her mother said. From the back seat, the baby cooed. “You tell her, Carrie. Midnight snacks aren't good for you.”
 
Maybe the dream was just a result of a late-night snack, Callie mused. And I guess I'll have to ask Ashley or Aaron about their father…
 
As her mother pulled into their driveway, Callie saw two familiar figures standing on the porch. Callie ran excitedly toward them, vaguely ignoring her mother's request that she get her homework done at a reasonable time tonight. She stopped in front of Aaron and Ashley, smiling. “Hey! You found me?”
 
“We looked for the haunted house,” Ashley said.
 
“Yeah, although it looks really nice. Hard to believe it's as old as it is.”
 
Callie shrugged. “It hasn't been abandoned or anything. I think I read something about it being the oldest house still standing on the street, though.”
 
Aaron looked around. “Soo…are you going to give us a tour, or are we going to stand outside all night?”
 
“Oh, right.” Callie smiled awkwardly. “Yeah, come in.” She held the door open and the three teenagers filed inside. Callie spun in a semi-circle, waving her hand. “This,” she said, as they entered the house, “Is the foyer. As you can see, it is relatively large, and it has a high ceiling. And I'm sure you noticed that there is an echo, too.”
 
Ashley giggled. Her laughter resonated through the room. “That's crazy,” she said.
 
“And in here,” Callie said, walking to the next room, “Is the dining room. It's pretty plain-looking right now, because we really have a lot more room than we have stuff. And through that archway is the kitchen.” The siblings followed her into the room.
 
“I like the floor,” Ashley said. “It looks like marble.”
 
“It might be.” Callie shrugged. “Anyway, there's the back door. I'll show you the outside later. Through this other door,” she said, holding it open for them, “Is the living room, where my father is currently watching TV.”
 
Callie's father waved a hand absently. “It's probably a good idea not to disturb him right now. He gets cranky if he doesn't watch his shows as soon as he gets home,” she whispered. She led Ashley and Aaron up the stairs. “My room is on the left. To the right of my room is my baby sister's room.”
 
“I wanna see her!” Ashley said excitedly.
 
Callie opened the door to Carrie's room. The baby was lying in her crib, staring up at the ceiling and making faces. “Aww,” Ashley said. “She's so cute. Isn't she cute, Aaron?”
 
“Yeah,” Aaron said. “She doesn't have that squished-headed alien thing going on.” Ashley smacked him. “What?” he said. “Most babies do.”
 
“She's a little old to have a squished head,” Callie's mother said, walking in behind them. “But I know what you mean.” She looked at Callie. “Are your friends staying for dinner?”
 
Callie shrugged. “I don't know. Do you guys want to stay for dinner?”
 
“I'd have to call Mom first,” Ashley said.
 
“She'll probably be fine with it,” Aaron added. “We don't actually have, like, family meals or anything.”
 
“That's terrible. Then I'll make sure to make enough for the five of us.”
 
“Thanks, Mom,” Callie said. “Anyway, to continue our tour…” She led the siblings out of the room and her mother closed the door behind them. “My bathroom's on the other side of my room, and my parents room and the spare bedroom are next to Carrie's. And that's the house.”
 
“Can I see your room?” Ashley asked. Callie shrugged.
 
“I guess. I'm not used to people coming in my room, but it's fine with me.”
 
Ashley followed Callie into her room, but Aaron stayed in the doorway. “I think your mom might get pissed if I come in.”
 
Callie shook her head. “Door's open. As long as it stays that way, we're good.” Aaron finally conceded and followed them in. There's at least one guy who will come in here. She frowned. Where is Will, anyway?
 
Noting her frown, Aaron asked, “Is something wrong?”
 
Callie shook her head, also shaking the expression off of her face. “No, sorry. I was just thinking.”
 
“Again?” Aaron smiled. “You must have a lot of secrets.”
 
“Well…no, I mean…just in the past few days.” Before Aaron could question her about that, Callie blurted out, “Hey, did you know that the kid who died here in 1927 had the last name as you guys?”
 
“Really?” Ashley squealed. “Oh my God, maybe he was our ancestor!”
 
“It's a common last name,” Aaron said.
 
“Don't be a downer,” Ashley said, rolling her eyes. “No, seriously. Maybe he was related to us.”
 
“Maybe,” Callie said. “I don't know how we can find out, though.”
 
“We could ask Dad,” Ashley said. Aaron sighed.
 
“Does it really make a difference?” he asked.
 
“Well, if the house is haunted, maybe because we're related to him, we can finally help hi pass on to the next life.”
 
“Except that, if that were how it worked, wouldn't he have `passed on to the next life' when his parents were still here?”
 
“Well…maybe he wasn't ready.”
 
“Or there's no ghost.”
 
Callie shuffled her feet uncomfortably. “Um…actually…” She peeked into the hallway, searching for any sign of Will. There was none. “I think…maybe…”
 
“You've seen a ghost?” Ashley asked.
 
Callie shrugged. She didn't know what to say. Ashley seemed like she'd believe her if she told her the truth, but Aaron would probably think she was crazy. “You know…just…I feel things sometimes. A presence or something.”
 
“That's awesome. Maybe he's trying to make himself known to you, so you can solve his murder and set him free,” Ashley said.
 
Aaron said nothing. Callie bit her lip anxiously. “Yeah, maybe.” Maybe Ashley and Aaron weren't the best people to mention Will to. After all, they probably weren't even related to him. Probably. Callie decided not to bring up the subject of ghosts around them anymore.
 
Just as she decided this, Will appeared in the doorway, as if telling her that her decision was the wrong one. Callie gasped, and both Ashley and Aaron turned toward her.
 
“What happened?” Aaron asked. Callie shook her head.
 
“Nothing,” she mumbled, looking at Will out of the corner of her eye. “I just…I remembered that I need to show you the backyard. Come on.” She grabbed Ashley by the wrist and pulled her toward the door, brushing past Will in the process. He did not seem to follow them. Sighing inwardly with relief, Callie let go of Ashley's wrist and led her two friends into the backyard, where they remained until dinnertime.