Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ My Ghost ❯ Chapter Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

My Ghost
-
Chapter Eight
-
© 2008 Ohne Sie
 
 
 
Will watched Callie converse with her friends. He couldn't help but peel a twinge of anger, seeing her laugh at something Aaron said. But there was no basis for such anger, was there? Will's emotions had confused him lately. Then again, he hadn't felt any kind of emotion whatsoever since his parents left. He wasn't even sure if the emotions he felt were real, or if they were simply a result of his longing to be alive again.
 
But I don't really want to be alive…do I? Will thought to himself. I just don't want to be an incorporeal spirit, wandering around the house where I died for centuries.
 
Was that all he wanted? Will still didn't know. He looked at Callie. She was a cute girl, and he could tell that Aaron liked her a lot. The affection seemed to be at least partially mutual. Will bit his lip. It was more of an instinct brought on by nervousness than anything, and he didn't feel it, but he knew he had done it, all the same. “Am I jealous?” he whispered to himself, vocalizing his thoughts so that his mind, or the spirit of his mind, could not ignore it or push it into his subconscious.
 
Callie's eyes wandered to Will and he almost panicked for a moment, imagining that she'd heard him. But she only flashed him a wink and a quick smile, and turned back to Aaron.
 
Will also turned his attention to Aaron. The boy was a spitting image of his brother, Edward. “If we're not related, something is definitely wrong,” Will mumbled. It was amazing how strong Edward's genes apparently were, even after three generations.
 
“Out of curiosity,” Will heard Callie say, jarring him from his thoughts, “Did you have a great-grandfather named Edward? On your father's side, I mean.” Will was surprised that she had waited so long to ask.
 
“I don't know,” Ashley said. “I could ask my dad. Do you know, Aar?”
 
Aaron shook his head. “I have no idea. Why?”
 
Callie shrugged. “It was a name that came up while I was doing some research on the house.”
 
“Ooh!” Ashley leaned in closer, resting her elbows on her knees and he head in her hands. “Something to do with the ghost in your house, right?”
 
“There's no such thing,” Aaron said. Will rolled his eyes at Callie, who smiled back at him.
 
“Do you really believe that?” Callie asked. “What makes you so sure that there aren't any ghosts?”
 
“Because scientifically, it doesn't make sense. Especially not for them to be able to walk around and talk, and think. They have no brains, no muscles, no skeletal systems. They can't physically do any of that.”
 
“Well, maybe science has nothing to do with it,” Ashley said. “and it's not like you know all that much about scientific stuff, anyway.”
 
“True, but I know enough. I know that it's not possible.”
 
Callie frowned. “What if you saw a ghost?”
 
Aaron shrugged. “I'd be proven wrong? I don't know.” He sighed. “I don't really want to argue about this. I mean, if you believe in ghosts, that's fine. I just don't.”
 
“I think it would be so cool to see one,” Ashley said, trying to break the tension. “You know?”
 
“I know,” Callie said. An awkward silence passed over the group, lingering for a moment and interrupted by Callie's mother opening the door to announce that dinner was ready.
 
Callie led the siblings inside, and they all sat at the table her mother had set for the family. Callie's father was already seated, and her sister was seated at her high chair, already eating her food.
 
“What did you make, Mom?” Callie asked as she pushed her chair in. Her mother brought the bowls over to the table and Callie's face lit up. “Mashed potatoes and peas! Is it my birthday or something?”
 
Ashley frowned a bit, and Callie's mom laughed. “Don't worry, Ashley. That's not all we have. That's just Callie's favorite. She's strange sometimes. She takes after her father.”
 
Her father shook his head, scooping out a spoonful of mashed potatoes for himself. “Mashed potatoes and peas may be the greatest food combination ever created.” Callie nodded in agreement.
 
“So,” Callie's mother said, turning to Aaron as she sat in her chair, “Have you always lived in Cedar Valley?”
 
“Yeah, our family's been here for a long time.”
 
“It's a nice area. So, Aaron, how old are you, again?”
 
“Almost eighteen,” he said. “Next month.”
 
“And do you have a girlfriend?” Callie's mother asked. Callie's eyes widened and she nearly choked on her mashed potatoes. Aaron had a similar reaction. Ashley giggled.
 
“No,” Aaron said. “I prefer not to date casually. I only really go out with someone if I think there is potential for a long-term relationship, so I really haven't had too many girlfriends.”
 
“Good answer,” Callie's father murmured. Her mother nodded approvingly. Callie sunk in her chair, lowering her head letting her hair fall in front of her face in order to hide the color that had shown up on her face.
 
“I'm sorry,” Callie's mother said, “Was that question too personal? I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I just like to know a little bit about the kids my daughter is friends with. Ashley, how about you? Any relationships?”
Ashley shrugged. “I'm seeing a boy. It's not too serious.”
 
“Really?” Callie said. “I didn't know that.”
 
“Because it's not too serious,” Ashley said, laughing. “We're not dating or anything. We just go out sometimes.”
 
“What's his name?”
 
“Nick,” Aaron said before Ashley could respond.
 
“Wait…the boy you were hanging out with this morning?” Callie asked. Aaron nodded. “Isn't that a little strange for you?”
 
Aaron shrugged. “I think it's better. I mean, if he does something to hurt her, I know where he lives so I can hunt him down and kill him.” He glanced at Callie's father and added, “Just kidding.”
 
Carrie whimpered and her father picked her up. “Does someone need to be changed?” he asked her. The odor permeating the room answered his question.
 
“That's rancid,” Callie said, wrinkling her nose.
 
“She's a baby. That's what babies do.” Her mother cleared the dishes off the table while her father took Carrie upstairs to change her.
 
“We should be getting home, probably,” Aaron said.
 
“Yeah, we haven't done our homework yet.” Ashley called to Callie's mother, “It was nice meeting you!”
 
“Likewise,” came the response from the kitchen. Callie opened the front door for her friends as they walked out.
 
“I'll ask my dad about his grandfather for you,” Ashley said as she and Aaron left. “Hopefully he gives me an answer that will help you. It'd be really cool if my ancestors lived here, wouldn't it?”
 
“It would.” Callie smiled. “Bye, guys. See you tomorrow.”
 
“Bye!” Ashley waved as she and Aaron turned the corner and walked down the street. Callie turned around, walked inside, and faced Will, who had followed her to the door.
 
“So? What do you think?” Callie asked Will.
 
“I think he likes you.”
 
Callie frowned. “What?”
 
“Isn't that what you meant?” Will asked.
 
“No!” Callie blushed. “I meant, what do you think? Do you think they're related to you?”
 
“Like I said before, he looks a lot like Ed did when he was younger. So I think it's a very good possibility.” He paused. “He does like you, though.”
 
Callie ignored the last comment. “If they're related to you, maybe they have some sort of clue lying around their house. A family heirloom or something.”
 
“Yeah,” Will said. “Do you like him?”
 
“What?”
 
“Aaron. He likes you, but do you like him?”
 
“He's cool,” Callie said. “I mean…we're friends, and he's nice. And smart.”
 
Will frowned. “It's obvious you like him. You should tell him.” Callie said nothing, so Will continued. “I'm serious. You should go after what you want. It's the only way you'll be happy.”
 
Callie frowned back. “What makes you think I'm not happy?”
 
Will shrugged. “I didn't say you weren't. But in the long run, you should do what makes you happy, and take what you want, when you can.”
 
“I'm really confused, Will. What is this about?”
 
Will shook his head. “Never mind. Forget what I said. You have homework to do, right? I'm going to go off and leave you to that. See you later.” He vanished, leaving Callie confused and a little annoyed.
 
“What do you know about anything, anyway?” she mumbled. “You said you never dated any girls when you were alive.”
 
Besides, she thought, I'm not so sure I do want Aaron.