Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 6, Chapter Forty-Two: Break Trial ( Chapter 42 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Break Trial
My Dear Yuki-kun:
By the time you wake up, I won't be in bed with you. This is because I have gone off to Thailand for a trial for a murder in my past. This shouldn't take no more than two weeks. Your friends will take good care of you while I'm gone. Be good until I return and maybe… Well, I'll let you finish that sentence.
Until Then, Shizuma
*Yuki*
And just like that, he was gone. I woke up alone just like the note said. Read it over a couple of times. I lowered the piece of paper and looked up at the ceiling. I pressed my lips together and looked around. Right… I looked around the guest room again. Strange, when did this room get so big? It seems so quiet too.
My attention jerked back to earth when I heard my phone buzz. Hm? I reached down onto the phone and answered it.
“Hello?” I asked.
“You okay, Yuki?” I heard a familiar voice ask on the other line. My face became puzzled.
“Dave?” I asked. “Of course I am, why?”
“Just,” he said.
“Just what?”
“Shizuma asked us to look after you while he was gone.”
“Really now?”
“Yeah man.”
Shizu-kun has my friends looking after me? Okay…
“Thanks… I guess.”
“Shizuma knew you would be lonely.”
“I see.”
“You eating well?”
“Yes…”
“Good, good!”
I shook my head to myself. “Look, I'll be fine. Okay?”
“You sure?”
“Yes!”
“Alright. Don't forget your homework.”
I blinked at first. “Huh?”
“You know, the assignment for Mifune-sensei's class. It's due today.”
“That's due on Monday.”
“Today is Monday.”
“Today's Saturday.”
“No, it's not.”
“Yes it is.”
“You sure?”
“Yeah. We all went to Annette's house last night, remember?”
There came a pause and then a chuckle from Dave. “Oh yeah, that's right.”
“Anything else?”
“No. I'm good.”
“Okay. Bye.”
“Bye.” We both hung up. That's how the rest of my day went. My friends all kept calling me and asking questions. It all seemed sweet… for the first eight calls. But then, I started to dodge them. That of course led to more calls. Asuka noticed as well.
“Aren't you going to do that?” she asked. I looked at my phone as I ate my lunch.
“Nope,” I said. The phone rang again.
“Could be important,” she said.
“No,” I said. “It's just my friends calling to harass me.” The phone rang again. Asuka blinked at me.
“You sure?”
“Yeah.” The phone rang again. I tried my best to ignore it.
“Yuki-kun.”
“I'm not getting it.” The phone rang again.
“Yuki-kun.”
“Nothing getting it.” The phone rang again. She didn't say anything this time. I fought hard against screaming at my phone. That lasted about a good ten seconds. At last, I slammed down my fists.
“Fine, I'll get it!” I snapped. I picked up my phone and put it to my ear.
“What?!?” I snapped.
“Yuki! What's wrong?” Annette asked me. I breathed out in stress.
“Nothing,” I said. “Look, I know Shizu-kun asked to watch over me while he was gone, but can you please back off with the calls? It's driving me crazy. I almost want to throw my phone out the window every time I hear it ring. So, please. Dial it down. Please, for my sake.”
“Okay,” Annette said. “Anything else?”
“No,” I mumbled.
“Okay then, bye,” she said.
“Bye,” I said back. We both hung up and I turned to my sister. I sighed out loud again.
“I'm going to take a bath now,” I said. She only shrugged at me.
“Fine, whatever,” Asuka said. I got up from the table and hurried down the hall. And this is only day one of Shizu-kun being absent. God help me!
Sorry I'm Not Home Right Now, Walking into Spiderwebs