Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 6, Chapter Forty-Six: Cupids ( Chapter 46 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Cupids
*Yuki*
I can’t remember the last time Asuka went out on a date. She’s always taking care of me. That worries about. She is about thirty and still single. (It’s an old-fashioned belief, but I’m still worried.) I really want to hook her up with someone. Yet, I can’t really do this alone. I watched her at the table one morning. It was then I put my plan into action.
“Nee-san,” I said. She didn’t look up from the cabinet.
“Hm?” she asked. I shifted a bit in my seat.
“What do you want in a guy?” I asked. She paused when I asked that.
“What do you mean?” she asked. I shrugged a bit.
“I mean what type of man do you like?” I asked. “Handsome? Funny? Nice?”
“You could say that,” she said. I looked at her interested now.
“Anything else?” I asked. Asuka turned around and looked at me.
“Why do you ask?” she asked.
“When was the last time you were on a date?” I asked. She blinked at me.
“In high school before mom and dad died,” Asuka said after she had to think about that one. “Why?”
“You just seem to be taking care of me all the time,” I said. “When do you ever get time for yourself?”
“And you want to know what kind of guy do I like because of it?” she asked. I nodded at her.
“Pretty much,” I said. Asuka frowned at me for a moment.
“I’m fine,” she said. “You just need to focus on school and growing up right.” I drew my mouth closed for a moment.
“Alright,” I said. She turned back to the cabinet.
*Asuka*
His question stirred something within me. I hadn’t been on a date in a long time. I just put sentimental things like romance and my personal future aside after our parents died. It had always been about what Yuki wanted or needed. However, he’s found someone else to take care of him. Maybe I should back up some and let him be for a while. Yet, what do I want? Should I even be thinking about dating right now?
*Yuki*
I think I have her attention now. Now to get some back-up with this plan. I met with Annette in front of the school that same morning. She gave me quite a curious look.
“What’s on your mind?” she asked. I walked up to her, smiling.
“I have a project for you,” I said.
“Okay…” she said. “What is it?” I flashed a grin at her.
“Want to play cupid with me?” I asked.
“With who?” Annette asked.
“My sister,” I replied. My dear friend’s eyes grew big in shock at that revelation.
“What?!?” she asked.
“Come on,” I insisted. “I really need your help with this.” She looked at me, still uneasy.
“Alright…” she said. “Do you even know what she wants in a man?” I just kind froze at that one.
“No…” I mumbled. Annette gave me a little smile out of pity.
“Why not come to me earlier?” she asked. I blinked at her.
“What?” I asked. She patted me on the shoulder.
“Just leave the details up to me,” Annette said. I felt myself smiling again. We walked to class together when the bell rang.
So, our plan got under way.
By the afternoon, Annette walked with me back home. I looked over at her.
“Are you sure this is okay?” I asked. “I mean, what about your grandma?” She nodded at me.
“She’s fine,” she said. “One of the other workers is with her right.” I gave her a small nod.
“Oh,” I said. “I see.”
“They’ll call me if there are problems,” she went on.
“Alright,” I said. We made it to my front door. I unlocked it and let Annette inside.
“We’re home!” I called out. I looked and saw a note taped to the wall. I took it down and read it to myself.
“Yuki, I will be back home late,” the note said. “Dinner’s already on the table.” I looked up at Annette.
“Nee-san’s not in right now,” I said. She turned around to me with a grin on her face.
“Perfect,” she said. I raised an eyebrow at her.
“What?” I asked. “What’s going on?” Annette grinned before grabbing onto my wrist. I looked around in shock.
“Annette!” I cried. “What are you doing?!?” She didn’t answer as we went up the stairs. We came to Asuka’s room. She put her hand to the doorknob. My eyes widened as I figured out what we were doing up here.
“Annette!” I wailed. “You can’t!” My dear friend turned to me.
“And why not?” she asked. I struggled to find the right words to respond.
“It’s Nee-san’s room!” I blurted out at last.
“I know,” Annette replied. “What better way to know what type of guy that she wants than to look in her room for the answers.”
“Yeah, but…” I said. My friend gave me a kind, little smile.
“You want your sister to be happy with a boyfriend, right?” she asked.
“Yeah…” I said. She leaned in close to my face, grinning.
“So,” she said. “What better place than to start in her room?” I didn’t have a real argument for that, but it’s Nee-san’s room. It just doesn’t feel right. I shrugged at her.
“Fine…” I mumbled. Annette patted me on the head.
“I knew you would come around,” she said. “Let’s get inside.” She pulled me along with her into Asuka’s room.
-Meanwhile-
*Asuka*
I think I have fallen in love!
Cupid, Draw Back Your Bow