Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 7, Chapter Forty-Nine: New Interest ( Chapter 49 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

New Interest

-Katsuya-

I fell in love again. My heart turned away from Yuki when I laid eyes on a new person. Who are they? This story started out like this.

Three days ago, I was downtown picking up a package for dad from the post office. I personally just wanted to sleep in on that Saturday, but he just had to get me up. That bastard. Anyway, I stood in line, frowning. I hadn't expected much of anything to happen that day. Just pick up the package, go home, eat lunch, and go to bed. That's what I counted on at least.

That all changed when I turned my head to my right.

I recognized the girl with bright blonde hair holding a big box to her chest. I tilted my head.

“Annette?” I asked. Sure enough, she turned around when she heard her name. I didn't know what happened, but my heart froze in my chest for a second.

“Katsuya?” Annette asked. I quickly stood up straight. I couldn't make out what was going on with me.

“Yes!” I said.

“Running errands too, huh?” she asked.

“Yes!”

Annette tilted her head. “Are you feeling okay?” I quickly shook my head as my face turned bright red.

“Yeah, yeah! I'm good!” I said. What was I doing? I've seen her plenty of times. We've talked with no trouble before. We were even good friends.

“W-What are you doing here yourself?” I asked. That was a dumb question. Shut up before you embarrass yourself even further, stupid! Annette gave me a small smile.

“I'm dropping off a package for my grandmother,” she said.

“I see,” I said. “I'm picking up something for dad.” Before, I didn't think much about Annette. I met her through Yuki. My first impression of her was a nice, popular girl in our school. She didn't hang out much with the other girls. Something about her seemed so lonely.

Annette walked up to the desk when the lady called for the next person. Now that I think about it, she looked really pretty. Despite taking care of her grandmother and Yuki, she always had a smile on her face. Annette put others before her without complaining. Even through that, she managed to take care of herself as well. I could see why Yuki admired her.

“I just wish she would get the chance to live out her dreams,” he said on Monday. I've heard Annette sing too. The first time was during rehearsal for the school festival. She's got a nice voice. However, that girl can't join any clubs to further her skills. Her grandmother's illness left her joining the Going Home Club. We all hoped that Annette would get a chance to live out her dreams someday.

“Next, please!” the lady at the front shouted. “Next!” Someone nudged me in the back. I whipped around, shouting.

“Oi!” a man yelled behind me. “You're holding up the line!” I looked behind me at the line of people glaring at me. I began into a nervous laughter as a sweat drop appeared on my head.

“I'm so sorry!” I shouted. I bowed and raced up to the desk. The lady raised an eyebrow at me.

“Can I help you?” she asked.

“Uh… yeah, I'm here to pick up a package for Iseki-san,” I said.

“Hang on,” the woman said. She typed up the information in her computer. “Ah, yes. Here it is. Please wait here.” The lady turned around and pulled out a big box. I paid the fee and walked out of the post office.

During the walk home, I began thinking about Annette again. This was the first time that I noticed she looked so cute. She had her long blonde hair tied back in a messy ponytail. That girl looked so stylish in whatever she wore. Annette didn't have to be too girly-girl to leave a good impression. She had more of a down to earth style in her wardrobe. I almost wonder why she hasn't found a boyfriend yet.

I stopped in my tracks as it began to don on me. When did this happen? My heart began racing again. I shook my head as my cheeks turned redder. I've had this feeling before, but not like this. It couldn't be because of Annette, was it? I still wasn't sure when I got home.

“I'm home,” I said.

“Welcome back,” Dad said. I poked my head around the corner in the living room. Dad sat on the couch, watching TV as he usually does on a Saturday. At this point, I would just go back to my room until dinnertime. But today, I walked further into the living room.

“Hey, Dad,” I said.

“Yeah?” he asked without turning his head. I shuffled my feet before I formed the question that I wanted to ask.

“How did you know when mom was the one?” I came out with. Dad turned his head and raised his eyebrow.

“Why do you ask?” he asked. My cheeks flushed red as I looked down at my hands.

“I think I might have fallen for something,” I said in a low voice.

New Feelings of Love