Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 7, Chapter Fifty-Four: Willow ( Chapter 54 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Willow

-Shizuma-

Last night, a note was left for me on the nightstand. There was no name or address on it. The folded up black paper felt so cold that it burned in my fingertips. The smell of coal teased my nose. I didn't know what to make of it at first. I looked over behind me. Yuki was still sound asleep. I took a breath and opened the note. The faint scent of perfume teased my nose. Is that jasmines? Why did I have a strange memory floating through my head? I started thinking about her for some reason. Was she still around? How was that even possible? Didn't she die back then?

I shook my head. Don't think like that. Just open the note and read it. I turned my focus back to the paper.

I can tell you what you need to know. Please meet me at the shrine across town. You really need to know this.

I didn't have to try and look for any other clues to know who this was. So she still was alive. But how? This could be a trap. Still, I had to know. I took more one look at my bed. Yuki turned in his sleep. Damn, could that boy sleep through anything. I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.

“I'll be right back,” I whispered. I climbed out of bed and crept over to the door. This probably won't take long.

----------

The quiet streets didn't help. It had to be about three in the morning, I suppose. I looked at the note again. Yes, these were her words. Why would she be holding back whatever she had to say after so long? What did she have to say now? I frowned to myself. Might as well get this over with. I started walking down the road.

Lately, I don't like getting lost in my thoughts. I think it's Yuki and his friends' fault. I rubbed my forehead and laughed to myself. So this is what happens when you live with humans for so long. I shook my head. I couldn't focus on that right now. I forced myself to keep walking.

There was a small shrine across town. It's kind of a blink and you'll miss it type of thing. Somebody did a good job to take care of it. The shrine looked like it had been cleaned this morning. I took a step forward.

“Okay, I'm here,” I said, looking around. “Come out and show yourself. What do you want to tell me?” I froze when I sensed someone behind me. I turned around and saw her. She looked the same as she did all those years ago. Her skin looked so pale that she could easily mistaken for a ghost. Her long black hair blended in with the night. Why did she have to look like a priestess again?

“Sora,” I said.

“Good morning,” she said. I pulled out the note.

“Did you really write this?” I asked. I handed out the note to her. Sora took it and read it. She looked up at me after reading.

“Yes,” Sora said.

“Okay…” I said, shrugging. “What do you want to tell me? Come on, tell me.” She didn't even blink.

“Are you sure you want to know?” she asked. “This is going to change you.” I clenched my fists at my sides.

“I don't care,” I said. “I will leave if you are going to waste my time.” Sora held the note at her side. She still had no emotion on her face.

“Very well,” she said. “Your father is looking for you.” I stared at her with nothing on my face.

“My father?” I asked.

“Yes,” Sora said.

“Why now? What does he want from me?” I asked. I noticed that she had a grim look on her face. I raised my eyebrow.

“Sora?” I asked. I lifted her chin.

“He is going to die,” she said.

“What?” I asked. Sora now looked worried. Oh no. It must be really bad.

“Well, spit it out,” I said. “How bad is it? Will I have to go to war or something?”

“It's starting to look that way,” she said. I already knew that I wasn't going to like the next answer to follow if I asked. But I just had to ask anyway.

“Who am I going to war against?” I asked. There was a pause. I furrowed my brow.

“Who am I going to war against?” I asked again. “Go on, say it!” The next thing she said set me in for a shock. Sora pressed her lips together and lifted her head.

“Your brother,” she said. I just stared at her.

“My brother?” I asked. “I have a brother?”

“Yes,” Sora said. Everything I could've said then and there just died away in my mouth.

“Give me your orders. Tell me what to do,” Sora said. I clenched my fists at my sides. So, it's come down to this? I gave off a dry laugh. I should've known.

Going to Family War