Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 8, Chapter Fifty-Nine: Cry Out ( Chapter 59 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Cry Out

-Yuki-

I felt so numb in New York. It hurt to smile. Still, I had to do this. It was Asuka… No, it was for… me? No, that's not it. I don't know why I'm doing this.

My English isn't really good. I didn't have much to say. Asuka did most of the talking. She was good this sort of thing. She had to be because of her job. I just stood, smiling and nodding. I wanted to go home. Nee-san put her arm around my shoulders.

“You're doing fine, Yuki-kun,” she whispered. I pressed my lips together as I nodded. I didn't know if she really believed that or not.

The award ceremony wasn't too bad. It went by me in a blur. There was nice food and people clapping. There was a guy in a suit talking a on microphone. I could barely understand what he was saying. There was a lady doing sign language on stage behind him. Asuka had to translate the important parts of the speech. She nudged me in the side when they called my name.

“That's you,” she said. “Go up there.”

“Huh?” I asked. She pushed me to stand up.

“Okay, okay,” I said. I stood up and walked up to the stage. This was the second time that I had to do this. At least the first time was at a school, with people I knew. This was different. They were all foreign. They probably couldn't understand me. Still, I spoke as if instructed to. I don't remember everything I said. I think I thanked everyone and talked about the essay I wrote. (I don't even remember what all I wrote. It had been so long.) The presenter patted me on the shoulder afterwards.

“Thank you,” he said. Later, I was going to read my essay. By this point, I didn't care. I just wanted to get back to the hotel room.

“How long are we going to have to stay here?” I asked at the party.

“Come on, be nice,” Asuka whispered. “Just eat up.” I shoved a piece of shrimp in my mouth and forced myself to smile. Ah, there it was. Smiling. By now, my jaw ached. I wanted to stop smiling. I wanted to leave this party. I just wanted to go home.

----------

Asuka and I would leave by Sunday morning. Despite me getting my wish, I didn't feel anything. I still had to deal with Shizuma. I hadn't thought about him over the past two days. Didn't have time to. I was jerked everywhere from place to place. Never a moment to rest. But now, I'm going to have to face the fact that I am single again.

What was I going to do if I had to see him again?

I rested my head on Asuka's shoulder. She gently patted me on the top.

“It will be okay,” she whispered. “You can rest now.” I drew my eyes closed and went to sleep. This trip took too much out of me. When I got home, I just wanted to sleep away the world.

However, reality was waiting for me when we got home.

Asuka and I made it to our house. My stomach dropped at what I saw. Shizuma sat slumped on our doorstep. His bangs covered his eyes, but I could tell that he felt the same way I did. I wandered up towards my ex.

“Yu…ki…” I heard Shizuma croak. My heart sank. I had a vague guess as to what happened to him. I ran over to him.

“Yuki-kun?” Asuka asked. I ran to my ex and pulled him into my arms. What he did next shocked me. Shizuma broke down crying against my chest.

“That's it, just it all out,” was all I said. He sobbed against my chest. I found myself crying as well. I didn't know what was going to happen from here. Right now, I had to be there for him. I had to be there in any way possible. Our tears wouldn't stop falling.

We Cry Together