Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 8, Chapter Fifty-Eight: My Last Breath ( Chapter 58 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

My Last Breath

-Shizuma-

I just learned the truth about my mother. Part of me wished that I hadn't.

I walked to the shrine in the east. Sora waited for me at the stairs. The first thing I noticed about her was the grim expression on her face. I knew right away this was it.

“Do I have to go inside?” I asked.

“Yes,” she said.

“And then what?” I asked.

“You will have to see,” Sora said. “Excuse me.” She bowed and vanished into thin air. I waved at her before I turned to the shrine. Now, I am not a feeling demon. Before I met Yuki, not much could reach me. Sometimes, I cursed myself for getting close to a human. It still hurt that I had to break up with him. But I had to. I'm so sorry, Yuki.

I walked up the stairs. I put my hand to my chest. What was this feeling? My heart felt so heavy. What is that? My eyes felt so wet. I reached up and wiped my right eye dry.

I don't like this.

I made it up to the top of the stairs. Just inside that shrine was the truth. I couldn't turn back now. It wouldn't feel right. The problem was I didn't know what I would do after all of this. I hadn't thought about that at all.

I looked up and saw an altar across the shrine. My heart sank in my chest. My footsteps became closer. It felt like it was calling out to me. Before I knew it, I was standing closer in front of the shrine. My fingertips touched the small Buddha statue and flowers inside. A deep shock shot through his body. My vision turned dark as I could see things.

----------

-Rin-

I was once loved by my family. I had a normal life. My mother died after my youngest brother was born. My father got sick by the time I was four. He died months later. I was left to raise my siblings alone. Despite this, I was happy. We all were happy.

But then a plague struck my village. We were all dying one by one. I did my best to keep my family together. It would be long before the illness hit us too. It took my youngest sister first. I cursed myself for not noticing until it was too late. There were eight of us. I would be the last to fall. My twin brothers were next. My first sister followed. By winter, it was just my middle sister, youngest brother, first younger brother, second younger brother, and me. It didn't help that we didn't have much food to survive. I struggled to find work. Somedays, I wished that death or someone would take me away. I would feel guilty about feeling that way afterwards. Still, I fought to stay strong. When my first brother got sick and died, I started breaking down.

I would soon get my wish.

It was in the middle of winter when I first met him. I was gathering up sticks for the fire. That winter hadn't been kind to us. I think the year was going to be over. By then, my sister started to get sick. There was no cure for the plague still. Even if there was, I don't think I could afford it.

I was walking home when I heard footsteps following me. When I turned around, there was no one in sight. Something told me I was being followed. I slowed down my walking and held my breath.

“Hello?” I whispered. I didn't get an answer, but I heard the footsteps walking closer. I didn't know what to do. Before I could make a decision, a pair of hands grabbed me from behind. The touch felt so cold that my breath caught in my throat. I started trembling.

“Shhh,” a voice whispered. My body went limp in the grasp. I looked up to see a handsome face. He gave me a sweet smile. I got lost in his eyes.

“Do not be afraid of me,” a voice said. “I wish to help you.”

“What do you mean?” I asked. He, I think it was a he, leaned down to my ear.

“I will protect your family,” he whispered. “You have to give yourself over to me.” He kissed me on the lips. I seemed to melt into his arms. Something told me that this wasn't right, but I was desperate. I didn't want anymore of my siblings to die. So, I surrendered to him. I'm not proud of it. You have to understand. That was going to be a long winter. Food was scarce and the snow storms had gotten worse.

He whispered in my right ear.

“Good girl,” he said.

For years, he came back to me every winter. Each time, I gave him every part of me. One the one hand, I enjoyed every moment of it, but afterwards I would feel so guilty. I told myself it was for my siblings. He did keep his word to protect them. They never got sick again. My sister got better. I thought that was going to be enough.

Soon, he wanted more.

At first, I didn't know what he wanted.

“What?” I asked. He grabbed me by the cheeks.

“I want you to give me a baby,” he said.

“What for?” I asked. The gaze in his dark eyes made me feel so small.

“My kingdom is dying,” he said. “I do not have time left in this world. So I will have to leave my mark before I go.” I didn't like the sound of that. His grip tightened on my cheeks.

“You are in no position to argue,” he said. “We have a deal. I protect your family and you give yourself to me.” I felt like I didn't have a choice. So I gave into him. What else could I do? These were my siblings' lives on the line.

It didn't take long for these to get worse.

My siblings ended up dying as expected. It wasn't by the plague. One night after I slept with him, I came home to my house on fire. You see, my siblings and I lived in an isolated location. There was no way that anyone could help us in time. Still, I tried to get help. I didn't know what it was, but I had to try. I have to tell you that I was nine months pregnant at the time. I couldn't get far on my own. I ended up getting lost in the woods in the snow while trying to look for help.

I don't know how I long I was out there. At one point, I ended up falling into labor. I didn't get far before falling down and giving birth in the snow. I only got one moment with my son before I died. They wouldn't find my body until the spring.

I don't blame my son for my death. Shizuma-kun's too innocent for that. All I want to say is that I love him so much.

----------

-Shizuma-

I sank down to my knees with tears in my eyes. Everything inside of me broke down.

Holding My Last Breath