Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 8, Chapter Fifty-Seven: Essay Prize ( Chapter 57 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Essay Prize

-Yuki-

I hadn't had time to grieve my loss. By the time I got him, Asuka was sitting on the couch, waiting for me. I looked confused.

“Nee-san,” I said. “Uh… what's going on?” I noticed that she was holding something in her hand.

“What is that?” I asked.

“It's from New York,” she said. “Your essay won first place.” My eyes widened.

“What?” I asked. Asuka handed me the paper. I snatched it up and read it. I couldn't believe what I was looking at. I stood with my mind going blank.

“I… I don't know how to feel,” I said in a dull tone. Nee-san gave me a strange look.

“That's a strange way to respond,” she said. “Did something happen?” I slowly shook my head. I didn't hear when Asuka walked up to me and started talking to me. I snapped out of it when I heard “New York”.

“What?” I asked. Her face was now inches from mine.

“They want you in New York for the ceremony,” she said. I didn't have it in me to react. So much just happened in a few hours. I got dumped, I won first prize in an essay contest, and now I was going to New York? What was happening?

--------

The ceremony was this weekend. We had to move quickly. This trip came at such short notice. I was still trying to process everything before the day was over. By the time Asuka found out I was dumped, she pushed for me to go on this trip.

“New York will do you some good,” she said. As much as I wanted to believe her, I couldn't bring myself to do it. All of this felt hollow without Shizuma to share it with. He probably wouldn't care, but he'd be happy that I was happy. Asuka straightened up my tie.

“Are you ready to go?” she asked.

“I don't get it…” I said. She tilted her head at me.

“Get what?” Nee-san asked. I stared at her but said nothing. She waved her hand in front of my face.

“Hello? Are you feeling okay?” Nee-san asked. I didn't respond. I think my mind was going elsewhere. Asuka pulled me back when she pushed on my shoulder.

“Huh?” I asked. She frowned at me.

“Are you feeling okay?” she asked.

“No,” I said. My eyes welled up with tears. Asuka pulled me into her arms. I just cried on her shoulder.

-------

Asuka ended up coming with me to the airport. I looked so numb in the car. She played the radio to fill the silence. I stared out the window. The scenery passing by meant nothing to me.

“Come on,” I heard her say. “I can't have you like this the whole trip.”

“Huh?” I asked.

“I don't expect you to cheer up,” Nee-san said. “But this isn't healthy for you.” I settled back into my seat. She didn't get it, did she? I haven't seen her date in my life. So how would she understand heartbreak. She took me by my hand.

“I'm going to help you get through this,” she said. “You just get your prize, enjoy the city, enjoy the party, and talk to me if you need to.” I pressed my lips together. Asuka turned into the parking lot of Narita Airport. Three days and two nights in New York, huh? Come to think of it, I've never been out of the country before. All of this from an essay. This was my old teacher's idea, really. If only he could see me now…

My mind went back to Shizuma-kun. I felt my heart breaking again. How was he doing? Was he going to be okay?

I Love New York