Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 9, Chapter Sixty-Five: What I Like About You ( Chapter 65 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

What I Like About You

Things have been going good so far. Katsuya and Annette were making their relationship work. They were taking things slow. Annette doesn't know what she really wants.

“I always wanted to become an actress when I was small,” she said. Katsuya turned his head.

“What happened?” he asked.

“Grandma got sick,” Annette said. “Then my parents died.”

“I'm sorry to hear that,” her boyfriend said. She shook her head.

“Don't be,” Annette said. “It is what it is.” It hurt Katsuya to hear her say that. She should be free and happy to follow her dreams. Life just held her back.

“Let's make it official,” he said.

“What?” Annette asked. He took her by the hands.

“Let's tell them,” Katsuya said. “I mean, why not? We don't have anything to hide.” He frowned when he saw the worried look on her face.

“Too soon?” he asked. Annette shook her head.

“No, no,” she said. Katsuya cocked his head.

“What are you trying to say?” he asked. She made herself smile.

“Sure, let's do it,” Annette said. Her boyfriend frowned.

“Are you sure?” he asked. “We don't have if you don't want to.” She smiled and shook her head.

“No, it's fine,” Annette said. He didn't need to ask her. Katsuya bowed his head.

“I understand,” he said. He pulled her in for a hug. She slowly put her arms around him as she rested her chin on his shoulder. Katsuya was going to help her be happy for herself for once.

---------

They decided to tell Yuki first. The couple had to do it together.

“We'll tell him in person,” Annette said. Katsuya didn't have an argument.

“Fine,” he said. He kissed her on the forehead. They didn't have to go far to Yuki's house. Annette just lived a few blocks away from her childhood friend.

“Really?” Katsuya asked after told him.

“Yes,” she said. “Didn't you know that?”

“No,” her boyfriend said. Annette tried not to laugh. Katsuya smiled and played with her chin. His girlfriend backed up, giggling.

“What are you doing?” she asked. He drew back his hand with a boyish smile on his face.

“I just like seeing you happier,” he said.

“Huh?” Annette said. He rubbed the back of his head.

“Never mind,” he said.

“Heh,” was all she said. Katsuya turned to the door and knocked. Too late to turn back now. This would just be the start. He held his hand. Annette held his hand back as the door open.

“Katsuya,” Yuki said. “And Annette?” The boy looked confused. He tried to say something, but no words came out.

“We're dating,” Annette said. Yuki blinked at first.

“For real?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Katsuya said, nodding. His grip tightened on his girlfriend hand. Their friend looked blank before he perked up.

“Are you serious?” he asked.

“Yes,” the couple said.

“Have you told anyone else?” Yuki asked.

“Not yet,” Katsuya said. “You're the first one we told.” Yuki didn't have anything to say, but his eyes were so bright.

“Yuki-kun?” they heard behind him. Yuki turned to see Shizuma walking into the living room. He paused as he looked out the doorway.

“Oh,” he said. “Katsuya, Annette. What are you doing here? You a thing now?” Annette blushed as Katsuya's mouth hung open.

“You knew?” he asked. Shizuma shrugged.

“I mean, it was obvious,” he said. “I've seen the way they look at each other. We all have.” The couple looked at each other.

“Seriously?” Katsuya asked.

“Yeah,” Yuki said, nodding. His friend didn't know what to say. He sank down to the ground his knees to his chest. Annette rubbed him on the back.

“We can still tell them,” she pointed out. Katsuya looked up at her as if experiencing a moment of clarity.

“Oh yeah,” he said. “We could do that.” Shizuma rolled his eyes.

“Anything else?” he asked.

“Nope,” Katsuya said, jumping to his feet. The demon waved them off.

“Okay, you can go now,” he said.

“Shizuma!” Yuki said. The dull look on his boyfriend's(?) face didn't change. Katsuya took his girlfriend by the hand.

“Fine,” he said. “See ya!” The boy pulled Annette before she could say another word. She waved as they walked back to her house.

They would get to announce their relationship to the rest of their friends. Sure enough, they already had a guess. (So much for keeping it a secret.) Still, it felt good to be out in the open.

“What happens now?” Annette asked as her house. Katsuya took her by the hands.

“We'll have to see, my love,” he said. Katsuya leaned in and kissed her on the lips. She couldn't help but to kiss him back.

Free to Love