Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 8, Chapter Sixty-Four: Eighteenth Birthday ( Chapter 64 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Eighteenth Birthday

-Yuki-

Today was my birthday. I didn't know how today was going to go. I had been through so much this year alone. New friends, graduating, the bullies left me alone, winning an essay contest, going out of the country, and (maybe) my boyfriend. I don't know about that last one. I don't think I had a moment of quiet this year.

I woke up to someone shaking me on the shoulder. Asuka stood over me beside my bed.

“Happy birthday,” she said. I sat up in bed.

“Thank you,” I said. I climbed out of bed. I hadn't expected to do much that day. I was too old for a party. There wasn't much that I wanted. Maybe I could start looking in getting a license. Other than, not so much.

“What are you up to today?” Asuka asked. I shrugged and shook my head.

“Not much,” I said.

“Is that right?” she asked.

“Uh-huh,” I said. I walked over to the bathroom. I froze at what Asuka said next.

“Make sure you are nicely dressed by next,” she said. I turned around.

“Huh?” I asked. “What for?” Asuka just smiled and shrugged before she turned and walked out of my room. I tilted my head. What was that about?

---------

I didn't really do much for the morning. As soon as I got out of the shower, I heard the doorbell ring. I didn't think much about it at first.

“I'll get it!” Asuka shouted. I walked over to the closet and just threw on a shirt and jeans. Shizuma and I weren't really talking. Still felt awkward between us. I don't know if we will be good together again or not. I shook my head. Don't try to think about that today.

I came downstairs to see Asuka and Toyota sitting on the couch, talking to each other. I tilted my head. What was this? I quickly walked into the living room.

“Toyota?” I asked. “What are you doing here?” My sister and friend looked up.

“Happy birthday, man,” Toyota said.

“Uh… Thank you?” I said. He handed me a present.

“This is for you,” he said.

“Thanks?” I said. I felt like I was on a TV prank show for some reason.

“Um, Asuka can I talk to you for a moment?” I asked. She rose to her feet.

“Okay,” she said. Asuka followed me into the kitchen.

“What is going on here?” I whispered. My sister gave me a little smile.

“You'll see in a moment,” she said. Asuka turned and walked out of the kitchen. I blinked to myself.

“What does that mean?” I asked. She was already gone.

----------

Toyota wasn't the only one to show up at my house today. The whole gang showed up. I had no idea what was going on.

“What are you all doing here?” I asked. Asuka stood up from the couch.

“I invited everyone over for a small lunch,” she said. “Happy birthday.” I looked around so confused.

“Huh?” I asked.

“Relax,” Asuka said. “It's not a party. Just a small lunch with presents.” I stood blinking as I tried to piece together what was happening. Shizuma stood up and took me by the hand.

“Happy birthday,” he said in a whisper. My face turned bright red. Asuka clapped her hands together.

“Right,” she said. “I will start cooking for everyone.” Asuka walked past us into the kitchen. I looked at all of my friends as I struggled to ask anything.

“Your sister asked us to come over,” Annette said. I figured that was that happened.

“But why?” I asked. No one said a thing. The sounds of a knife cutting up vegetables filled up the silence. Shizuma squeezed my hand. My eyes darted over to him. Was he… smiling? What he said next made my heart jump in my chest.

“I will give you your present later,” he said. My face felt like it was on fire. Shizuma had to walk me to a chair and sat me down. Dave shook me on the shoulder. I didn't respond as he tried to call my attention.

Some time later, I came back to reality in time to hear Asuka walking back into the dining room. I think Annette was asking me a question before then, but I didn't really hear her. I was about to ask when my sister cleared her throat. We all looked up.

“Lunch is ready,” she said. I had to admit that she didn't go overboard with cooking lunch. She didn't make it a feast, but she did make my favorites. I picked up a piece of sweet omelet with my chopsticks. Not bad.

----------

That evening, Shizuma stood in my room. I sat on my bed and gulped.

“Happy birthday, Yuki-kun,” he said. He over to my bed and climbed on. Shizuma leaned in and kissed me on the lips. I kissed him back. This should be fine for now, right? I fell back onto my bed and didn't think about that anymore.

Happy Birthday