Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Nishi Kaze ❯ Vol. 9, Chapter Sixty-Eight: Free Bird ( Chapter 68 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Free Bird

Annette is going to have to figure out what to do next. The funeral arrangements were made and done with. But what happens now? Only Yuki and Katsuya knew what she really wanted.

“What do you want to do?” Katsuya asked. Annette frowned. She didn't have an answer for that. The girl had an idea, but it didn't feel right to do it. His girlfriend shook her head. He pulled her into his arms for a hug. She didn't try to push him off. Annette was just tired of feeling numb.

----------

-Annette-

I am free. But now, I don't know what to do. I could go to America and live out my dreams. Ever since I woke up from the funeral arrangements that first night, I have been going over in my head what I want to do. Telling Yuki my true feelings have made things so much better. That still leaves me with my options.

I could stay in Japan. I would go to college and be with my friends. I just started a new relationship. My father is okay with either decision that I make. The only reason I stayed around in Japan was because of grandma. She needed someone to take care of her. Dad didn't trust professional home care to do the job. So, it all fell on me. I was mad at him for that, but I still loved my family. It was the only way I could stay in the Japan while was working overseas. But now…

I am kind of tired of staying here, to be honest. I don't hate Japan, but I want something else for a change. I would have to leave my friends and boyfriend if I did.

There is an acting school that I have always wanted to go to in America. Why would I want to go there? I don't know. I have been in the country when I was a baby before my father took me to Japan. I don't really know anyone in America. My father does have a sister out in California. She said that I could live with her for a while. But I would be away from my friends and my boyfriend. I would have to try and go into an arts school there too. Schools in America are rather expensive. Dad and my aunt said that they would cover it. Still, that would feel like I would leeching off of them. They are insisting that I'm not, but still…

So what should I do? Go to America and live for myself or stay in Japan and be comfortable with what I know. I pulled out my phone and dialed up a familiar number.

“Hello?” Dad asked.

“Hey dad,” I said. “Grandma's dead.”

“I heard, I'm so sorry to hear that,” he said. “How are you feeling?” I closed my eyes and sighed.

“Not good,” I said. “I don't know what I am going to do now.” We didn't speak for long, but it was good enough for me.

“Hey dad,” I said.

“Yeah?” he asked.

“Can we just stay on the phone for a while?” I asked.

“Sure, pumpkin,” he said. I tried to smile but gave up halfway. The next day, I would make up my mind.

----------

On the day of the funeral, Katsuya knocked on Annette's front door. She greeted him with a simple black dress and a calm expression on her face.

“How are you holding up?” her boyfriend whispered.

“I am fine now,” Annette said in a low voice. “I now know what I want to do.” Her boyfriend raised his eyebrow.

“And what would that be?” he asked. Annette opened her mouth to speak.

Fly Away, Birdie