Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Shade ❯ A Prominent Stranger ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter I:
A Prominent Stranger

"In Winters hollow, sunshine goes...
In Winters hollow, darkness flows..." - Lady Death

November 17th, 1389

"Die Goblin!"
Swing left, swing right, then left again, and finish it with a stab. Kiyam the 11-year-old,
brown haired, boy hero slew yet another Goblin. Another Goblin swung at him causing
injury to Kiyams arm, but no worries, Kiyams beautiful brown-haired mage will tend to his
wounds.
"Cure!"
"Thanks May!"
And with a punishing blow, the final Goblin was slain.
"Look there May!"
Kiyams say to the 10-year-old enchantress.
"The bridge of fanghew! We must cross it to slay the Goblin Lord!"
Kiyam sprinted torwards the moss-covered stone bridge. May hurriedly follows to the
brave warriors side, but trips and falls off the stone bridge... And out of her imagination.
May shrieks as she falls.
"Maaay!"
Expecting to hit the cold, stone ground below, May was surprised not to. In fact, she
landed somewhere much warmer.
"Tisk-tisk-tisk, we can't have you dying, now can we?"
Kiyam slid and stumbled down the autumn leaf covered Hill to assist may, only to find her
being held by a man. The man had short white hair and wore a long black jacket.
"Pretending to be a knight are we?"
Kiyam studied the man, but decided he was of no threat.
"Yes sir, me and May were slaying Goblins and she tripped off the stone bridge."
The man looked up at the bridge.
"A fallen pillar..."
The man said in a melancholy voice."Yes sir, Mays father said there used to be an old church here."
"I see, well I'm sure a brave knight like yourself would accompany me to your village, yes?"
The man put May down on her feet and motioned for the two children to follow him.
Kiyam tightened his grip on the wooden stick he held as a substitute for a sword.
"Let me lead the way! A peasant such as yourself would be so defenseless!"
Kiyam ran ahead of the man. And so the party of three were off, past the great tree
and through the thorny vines, or the Goblin Barbs in Kiyams fantasy.
"Mi-mister..?"
May finally spoke up and the group stopped.
"Yes? May, isn't it?"
"Um.. I wanted to say thank you for saving me.. And yes, that's my name."
The man smiled.
"It was no trouble, do not thank me."
The continued on walking but there advancement to the village met a terrifying end. Two
demon like crabs sprung from the wilderness and began slowly stepping torwards them.
"Kra-ebs!"
Kiyam ran in front of May and held his stick out, these were different from his imaginary
goblins, these would kill him if they could. The man smirked.
"Stand back."
He put his left hand in front of the children and put his right hand behind his back, underneath
his jacket and slowly pulled a concealed sword.
"Time to play.."
He ran torwards the right demon and thrusted his sword into it's head effectively killing it,
then turned right and brought a vertical slash to the kra-eb, but his attack was blocked by
the demons bladed claws. The man withdrew his sword to his holster and stepped back.
"Block this!"
The man put his hands together as if he was praying and pulled them apart which revealed
a black-energy like matter in his right hand. He promptly threw it at the demon and the
dark energy went through the monster and landed on the earth below it, expanding, and
dissolved the creature into nothingness.
May and Kiyam stared at the stranger, mouths wide open at the incredible event that took place just before their eyes. The stranger stood still for awhile in complete silence, then he turned around.
"Well now, I suppose it's time to continue our journey.. Yes?"

The group arrived at town. The man looked around and realized there wasn't an inn.
"Sir, why don't you come to my house?" Kiyam said.
"...Hmm... We will discuss this with your parents."
On the way to Kiyams house May was called home.
The stranger and Kiyam walked into his house, a small shack with the dining room and a hallway to the left with two rooms, Kiyams and his fathers. Kiyam explained the whole story to his father.
"I see. Thank you for taking care of Kiyam. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to stay a night or two."
"Just a night."
"Come again?"
"I only need to stay for a night."
The stranger settled himself a cornor in the living room, by then Kiyam's father had prepared dinner.
"Kiyam, pass me the rolls."
"Yes sir."
"So, I never caught your name stranger."
"Saven."
"Saven? Interesting name. Kiyam told me about that little gift of yours."
Saven eyed Kiyam's father.
"He did."
"Yes he did. Kiyam, wash up and go to bed."
"Dad..? But why?"
"Do as I say!"
Kiyam slowly got from his chair and went to do as his father commanded leaving Saven and Kiyam's father alone.
"Saven, that type of power is unnatural."
"Sir?"
"Now... Who are you"
Saven smirked.
"I'm sorry sir, I don't understand what you mean."
Kiyam's father was now also smirking.
"It is actually I should be the one calling you 'sir'... But fine play your games. I'm tired."
Kiyams father got up from his chair and started down the hallway.
"Sleep well."
"...Thank you Saven, you sleep well too."

Several hours later, in the dead of night Kiyam awoke. He couldn't get that scene out of his mind. The power, it was so cool. He wanted it. He got out of his bed and headed torwards the main room where Saven was sleeping. But, he found Saven wide awake and went to sit next to him.
"Kiyam, you should be in bed."
"Yeah.. I now, I just wanted to ask you something."
"What?"
"Could you uh.. Um..."
"You want me to teach you that power..?"
"...Yes sir."
Saven let out a sigh.
"Now tell me Kiyam, why should I waste my time teaching you something so difficult?"
"Because I would do anything it took for that kind of power!"
"... Are you sure? Once I begin teaching you something like this, you can't go back."
"Huh? What do you mean?"
"Kiyam. If you go down this road, there will be consequences."
"I don't care, I want that power."
Saven quited down, perhaps to think. Several moments pass, and he speaks.
"So be it, training starts tomorrow. Now, go to sleep."