Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Basil ❯ Chap One: Enter Basil ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Enter Basil
“Basil!”
“Huh?” asked a delirious twenty-five year old ginger-haired woman as she awoke from her nap. She looked up to see her boss. He looked concerned. Basil was at her job, Catsmeow.com, a huge store and on-line company that sold feminine products. She was one of the people at the computers.
“Had a good nap, Joobarausagi-san?” her boss asked. “I'm sorry Miura-san. It won't happen again!” Basil exclaimed. “Uh-huh. Did you organize the orders?” Miura-san asked. “Yes sir.” Basil answered. “Well let me see.” said he. Basil opened the orders file on the desktop. Every file was nice and straight. “Excellent. I knew I could count on you!” said Miura-san. Then he patted her on the shoulder and walked off. “Whew! I need to keep from slipping up! I'm lucky to be one of the reliable ones!” Basil thought once he left. Then she got back to work.
Once the workday was over, Basil took the subway home. This was a typical day for her. Get up, get ready, go to work, go home, and wind down. Simple and normal. Basil never expected anything but soon, that was all about to change.
It started with a trip to the mailbox. Basil went to get the mail. She opened the box and got the mail. Basil bored looked through the bills and junk mail until… she stopped in her tracks when she saw a royal purple envelope addressed to personally. “This looks like one of daddy's business envelopes!” Basil thought. So she quickly ran back into her apartment.
Once inside, Basil set down the other mail and sat down with the envelope. Her hand trembled as she opened it. A letter was inside. This is what it said:
Dear Joobarausagi:
We have looked through your father's documents. Since your parents and aunt died, the money now belongs to you.
Basil paused in shock. The money… now hers? And who were these people to look through her family's records? Delirious with offense, Basil read on.
You will also inherit the manor.
The manor. Sweet and bitter memories flooded her head. Basil vowed never to go back to the manor again. She read on.
Servants will take care of your apartment while you're at work. Your money will be coming in tomorrow.
Sincerely, T.H. co.
That was enough. “I need to lie down!” Basil thought. Then she ran to her bedroom.
Basil collapsed onto her bed. What to do? The money. The manor. The servants. It was all hers now. Now what? The money was coming tomorrow. The place she never wanted to go back to was in her possession. Her family's workers were coming to clean her place while she was gone. “How did this happen?” Basil thought. She drifted off to sleep as she got lost into her thoughts.
The telephone awoke Basil the next morning. She reached for the phone. “Hello.” she said when she was on the line. “Joobarausagi-san.” said the voice on the other line.
“Yes? Whom may I ask is calling?”
“This is the bank, san.”
“Oh. Uh….”
“We received a check in your deposit this morning.”
“How much money was it?”
“11,813,012.72 yen.”
“That's almost half of the money!” Basil thought. Then she asked:
“Who put it in the deposit?”
“Treasure Hunters Company.”
“Why?”
“They wouldn't say.”
“Okay.”
When the conversation was over, Basil came to a clear decision. “I need to have a talk with the Treasure Hunters!” she thought.
At Catsmeow.com however, this talk came sooner. It started with an e-mail. Basil was looking through the orders when a message addressed to her personally came. Its address was treasurehunters@treasurehunt.com. “Just the people I wanted to talk to.” she thought. Then she clicked on the message. A letter popped up. This is what it said:'
Dear Joobarausagi:
Please be kind and let us explain our actions. We were looking at mansions in the Japanese countryside when we came across you family's manor. It was a beautiful house so we decided to look at it. The servants were nice enough to let us in. We were almost off of the house when we came across you father's office. After looking around, we found an open book on his desk. It was open to the will. My team read the contents in red. We don't mean harm; we're just giving what belongs to its rightful owner. Forgive us.
Sincerely, Goto Hama President of Treasure Hunters
Basil felt at ease. These people explained their doings and apologized. “Well, I guess that's over!” she thought.
But this was far from over. By lunch break, more money came in her account. Basil thought she was going to choke when she found out. “It isn't over yet?” she thought in shock. When she came home, Basil found Midori preparing dinner for her. Basil was stunned. “Hi dear. I made your favorite.” the cook said. Basil didn't know what to say. Her apartment was clean and a home cooked dinner was waiting for her. Tears filled her eyes. “Basil-san. What's wrong?” asked Midori. “It's just like home!” Basil wailed aloud. Then she burst into tears as she hugged the cook.
After dinner in bed, Basil recalled the day. “I've had enough surprises for one day!” she thought. Then she drifted off to sleep.
Owari