Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Basil ❯ Chap Five: Up and Out ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Up and Out
Aneko was helping Ginko clean the living room when the doorbell rang.
“Coming,” the princess called out. Then she flocked to the door. Kris was at the door.
“Oh Kris!” Aneko said when she saw her.
“Hi,” she said.
“Uh… What are you doing here?” Aneko asked.
“I came to visit ya of course!” Kris answered. And before the princess could say anything, Kris walked right on in. Aneko followed behind. Kris sat herself down in a blue chair. Aneko just looked at her.
A few minutes later, Basil came down the hall. Kris and Aneko looked up.
“Oh hi Kris!” said Basil in shock.
“You're just the person I was looking for,” said Kris.
“Uh… Why is that?” the twenty-five year old asked.
“You see, I'm going out on date Friday and I need someone to watch my younger brother and sister,” Kris explained.
“Well, I can't do it,” said Basil.
“Why not?”
“I've got work Friday.”
“Aw sorry.”
Aneko cleared her throat. Basil and Kris looked up.
“I'll watch `em,” said she.
“Really?” Kris asked.
“Yes,” the princess answered.
“In that case, I'll help you by checking on you,” said Basil.
“Great,” said Aneko.
“Okay. I'll drop them by here in the morning,” said Kris.
“Excellent,” said Aneko. Then Kris left them.
“Do you know anything about taking care of kids?” Basil asked her roommate after Kris had left.
“Relax! I had experience with all of my family. How hard can it be?” Aneko declared. *Sweat drop on Basil's head*
“That's what I was afraid of!” she thought. Then Basil sighed.
By Friday morning, the doorbell rang. Aneko got the door. Kris, a boy that looked fifteen and a girl that looked six stood at the door.
“Come right on in,” said the princess. The three complied. Basil came down the hall.
“Hello,” she said.
“Hi!” said the girl. The boy was silent.
“Yo!” said Kris. Then she turned to her siblings.
“Behave now!” said she.
“Yes,” they grumbled. Then Kris left them. The boy and girl looked at Aneko and Basil.
“Hope you know what you're doing,” Basil whispered to her roommate.
“Relax. Everything's in good hands!” Aneko whispered back.
“Okay. Good luck,” Basil whispered back. Then she left for work.
“So…” said Aneko. Silence.
“Tell me your names and how old are you?” the princess asked.
“My name is Madeline and I'm six years old. This is my brother, Joe. He's fifteen,” the little girl answered.
“Big mouth!” Joe yelled as he tried to cover her mouth. “You weren't supposed to tell her anything!”
“U-hm,” said Aneko. Joe and Madeline looked up.
“My name is Aneko and I too am fifteen…” said she.
“You don't seem like it!” Joe cut in.
“Huh? What do you mean?” Aneko asked.
“You seem older,” he answered. The princess became nervous.
Can he sense that I'm an immortal?” she thought. Then she relaxed and said, “I've got it! Let's all go down to the arcade!”
“Yay!!!” said Madeline.
“Well let's go!” said Aneko. Then the three headed out the door.
While at the arcade, Aneko had her own senses about Joe. “He's a mortal. But why do I sense great power from him?” she thought.
“Aneko!” a small voice called. The princess looked down to see Madeline.
“Come on and play,” said the little girl.
“I can't,” said Aneko.
“Why not?” Madeline asked.
“I don't know how to play,” the princess admitted.
“I'll show you how! Come on!” Maddie said. Then the girl grabbed Aneko by the hand and dragged her to a game.
“Like racing games?” Madeline asked Aneko.
“They're okay,” the princess answered.
“Try this one,” the child said.
“Okay,” said Aneko. Then she sat down in game chair.
“What do I do?” the princess asked. Madeline gave her the low down on the steering wheel, brakes, gas pump, and the whole nine yards.
“Got ya,” Aneko said at last. “I think!” she thought. Joe watched from the corner of his eye.
A few minutes later, a whole crowd was gathered around Aneko. She was almost at the final level.
“See? It's easy!” Madeline exclaimed.
“Yeah! It is!” Aneko said. In five minutes, she won the game. The crowd was stunned. This raised suspicion in Joe.
She must be an immortal!” he thought. Aneko heard his thought. She became tense.
He knows!” Aneko thought.
When the three when going home, the confrontation came fast. “So tell me…” Joe addressed Aneko. She looked up.
“What are you exactly?” he continued. But she knew she couldn't play dumb any longer. So Aneko told Joe and Madeline the truth.
“You're an immortal?” Maddie asked. Aneko nodded.
“Wow!” said the girl. Joe stayed silent. But Aneko could tell he was okay with it. She relaxed. But she was still baffled by one thing. How did Joe know about her?
That evening, Basil asked her roommate, “So, how was it?”
Aneko just said, “It was fine.”
Owari