Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ When arranged love becomes true! ❯ Sweet moonlight ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
When arranged love becomes true!
Chapter 20
Sweet moonlight

They were back to Ides kingdom and it had passed like nothing. They came back with Selyann, on his demand. The travel was easily made since the cruel whims of winter were finally over, bringing nature back to life. Nathanyel had revealed the sad truth of his step-father’s disappearance to Kohaku, which he didn’t took too happily. In fact, since the departure he had been awfully quiet. (More than he usually is anyway…)

Flashback.

“-What do you mean gone?!”

The small group around him suddenly found the floor very interesting. In his mind though, a voice was screaming his failure to the heavens, trying to find some help there.

“-I’m truly sorry my men couldn’t find him Kohaku, stated Nathanyel.
-I guess it’s not your fault, you did what you could to stop him…”

As he crossed his brother’s evil stare, a thrill of guilt made his way up his spine and quickly added:

“-And I’m sorry for killing half the soldiers who were in the throne room…”

The new king seemed surprised by that. But still, a warm smile crept his way up his features and he answered calmly:

“-They followed the way they believed in. As you just said, you killed half of the soldiers in the room but half didn’t attack you simply because they didn’t believe in
his way of thinking…And probably because they weren’t insane…”

End of flashback

The scene was still playing over and over again in Lyra’s head. She couldn’t think of a way to cheer Kohaku up. Ever since Nathanyel stated that Kohaku’s step-father was gone, something in him had changed. She stared at the moon from the balcony of her room in the royal castle of Ides. The night was beautiful; no cloud was hiding the shinning stars. Once again, her thoughts went back to Kohaku; was he okay all alone in his room? She heard a soft melody through the cold spring wind.

Once she was sure that she wasn’t dreaming, she exited her room and followed the music through the thick walls of the castle. Passing in front of the child’s bedroom, she suppressed a thrill of horror. “There was a murder here…”

Ignoring the room, she continued her quest for the mysterious melody; it seemed so sad and yet so alluring at the same time. Her search led her to the library. She listened carefully to try to identify the instrument; it was a flute. She had never known anyone playing so magnificently. Opening the door just enough for her to see what was inside the room, she gasped from surprise when she saw the long blond hair covering the pointed ears of the musician. (As if you couldn’t see it coming…)

Kohaku (You must have discovered it by now…) stopped dead in track. She saw his ears move up and down, trying to listen to her mere heartbeat.

“-Who’s there?”

She felt the blush appearing up the skin of her face. She was discovered, not that she really had a chance of hiding from him. She walked into the room and opened the door, completely exposing herself to the light. Kohaku was seated on the floor his legs crossed before him, in front of a hot fire in the fireplace, holding the flute she craved for him to play again. He obviously heard her footsteps because when she entered, he turned around and the frown disappeared from his features.

“-Ah! It’s you. What do you need?
-I wondered if you were okay, I haven’t seen you since we arrived in Ides…
-Yes don’t worry for me; I can take care of myself…
-Yes...Of course...Would you play again? Please…”

The blond haired prince’s eyebrows rose at her request, but he lifted the flute back to his lips and, closing his eyes, he restarted to play. It was the same song she heard from the balcony. She went to sit beside him and listened to the soft melody.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Unknown to the young couple, a pair of dark brown cat eyes was watching them intently from the end of the hallway. When he saw the young maiden enter the room and after the music restarted, the king returned to his chambers, now sure that the princess could ease his brother’s pain.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“-Could you teach me to play?”

Kohaku smiled at her demand and pulled her by the waist into his lap so that her back would be pressed against his chest. He positioned the flute under her bottom lip and whispered hotly in her ear:

“-Now I want you to blow down into the flute as if you were blowing a candle light to close it.”

The blush quickly returned to her cheeks and, nodding, she did what was asked of her. A sound exited the instrument and Kohaku started to play different notes which formed the familiar melody. Once the song was finished, the man delicately laid the flute in its place. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he brought the girl closer to his body and breathed in the scent of the maiden.

“-Where did you learn that it’s amazing…”

At that question, Kohaku placed his head upon her shoulder and hesitated before answering but finally said:

“-My mother was a musician before she met my father. She used to play for rich guys and sometime dance while playing. She was only eighteen years old when they married…
-I don’t think that’s too young…
-But...My father already had twenty-eight.
-Twenty-eight? How come he didn’t marry before?
-He wasn’t the kind to believe in love anyway, well, before he met Mary…
-Which is your mother…?
-Yeah. You can say that she truly changed his life…
-How did they meet?”

A sad smile appeared on his features and a thrill of guilt ran up her entire body.

“-But if you don’t want to answer I’d understand…”
-Don’t worry, it actually brings good memories, it makes me remember the good times we had with our parents before he came…Anyway, they meet when my mother was engaged by the captain of a ship… You can guess why obviously, thinking she was a whore, they decided to bring her aboard to calm down the men… When she refused, they complained about it to my father… He says it was love at first sight.
-How cute…
-…Anyway, he threw the captain out the castle and permitted to my mother to live around. Soon after, he engaged her to play for him and she gladly accepted…
-She fell in love with him too?
-Actually, I think it was the enormous salary he was offering to her who convinced her…
-Oh…
-After a couple of weeks, he asked her to live inside the castle, and she accepted. I guess it came gradually, after she accustomed to his feline appearance, his friends organized the wedding without the two of them to know. They forced Jackal, my father to propose to her and she smiled as an answer… I can’t remember ever seeing or earring them say “I love you” to each other…

-Were they in love for real?
-Yeah, they just didn’t need to say it to let it know to the other I guess…”

Kohaku seemed gloomy (A new word I just learned.) for a moment, but the princess took his hand and his eyes moved to hers before a small smile appeared on the boy’s features. He turned and stared outside, his grip tightening on her small hand. He lifted her as he stood and lead her outside to the balcony. (Yes, there is a balcony there too, I know, there is every where, but live with it!) He took her waist and led her into his embrace in front of him.

“-The moon is beautiful tonight…
-Yeah…
-But it’s chilly outside.
-Hum.
-But being in your arms makes me feel warmer.
-…
-Kohaku…
-No. Don’t say it. I know. Don’t talk, just stay like this, please.
-…Okay.

Kohaku bent his head on her shoulder and closed his eyes, overwhelmed by the sweet scent of the girl in his arms. They stayed like that a long time, until Lyra stated that she was tired. They slept in Kohaku’s bed, (SLEPT) in each other’s warm arms, welcoming the soft cloud of sleep.