Other Fan Fiction ❯ One Jacked Up Story ❯ Loyalties That Lie Elsewhere ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
''Guess so,'' He replied. ''What are you losers talking about? Look, if you're here for the Sheng Gong Wu, take them. I don't want them, and it's better than Wuya getting them. I am through with trying to take over the world. Through with being evil.'' Jack wasn't quite sure why he was telling them this, but it didn't matter. Nothing mattered anymore. His childhood dream seem just that, a dream. Wuya didn't want him, he had no friends, and his parent's idea of love was... well, that didn't matter. Who would even care anyways? ''So Wuya ran off on you, so you throw a hissy-fit and just quit? That is so like you Jack.''
''Hey, shut up Kimiko, he isn't doing anything to you.'' Rai snapped, surprising himself. At the younger boy's defense, Jack was taken aback, embarassed as hell, and flattered all at the same time. The result of which was to, first, gape, then blush madly, and then stare fixedly at his feet. ''Uhh, Rai? Partner? This is Jack Spicer we're talking about. You know, the one who periodically steals (or atleast tries to) Sheng Gong Wu from us to try to take over the world.''
''Periodically? I didn't know such a large word was in your vocabulary Clay, wow, I'm impressed. Didn't you hear Jack? He gave up on being evil!'' Rai yelled. This was typical of Rai, to start on everyone, even people who weren't really doing anything, whenever he got angry or was defending something. And he was both now. Though exactly why he was defending Jack escaped Rai. He knew he could get into trouble if the other Xiaolin warriors found out he had feelings for Jack. Oh well, to late to change sides now. It was a few more minutes before Jack recovered from the shock, embarassment, and pleasure of having someone, especially Rai, defend him to realize that Raimundo was still arguing with the other dragons.''Uhh, hello? Right here?'' Jack half-heartedly waved his hand to get their attention. ''Oh, right! Guess we got kinda carried away.'' Rai said, blushing. After explaining their situation, they began to vote on wether to take Jack back to the temple or not. Rai rolled his eyes,''Listen, Jack's got a brain and he's got rights, he should make the decision for himself. We can't force him to do anything. Jack? What do you say?'' Jack stared at them all, dumbstruck.''Are you seriously going to sit here and tell me that you are actually going to accept me into the temple, even after all I've done?'' Jack said, disbelievingly. ''Just 'cus we'll take you in to the temple, doesn't mean we'll *accept* you.'' Clay said. Jack had expected something like that. Rai looked angirily at Clay. He ripped Clay's hat from his head and flung it away. ''Go fetch, hick!'' Rai said. Clay went to retreive his cowboy hat, muttering nonsensical, angry, Texan sayings the whole way. Jack was trying not to laugh, when he felt a tug at the hem of his pajama tops. He looked down to see Omi, looking at him with big, innocent, Omi eyes. ''*Please* come to the temple with us, Jack Spicer. *I* will accept you. This will be chance to turn your life around, now that you have rejected your evil ways. You can fight for good. And if not to join the hero side, then to get revenge on evil witch Wuya. Jack Spicer, please join us on the Xiaolin side!''
''Uhh, I second that speech,'' Said Rai. ''Same here,'' Said Kimiko. ''Aww, what the heck? Sounds like a nice change of lifestyle. Besides, it will get me away from my parents.''
''Why, what's wrong with your parents?'' Asked Kimiko. Jack looked away, shamefacedly,''Nevermind, forget I said that.'' Clay came back, shoving his hat back on his head,''Great, so the fink is coming with us?'' Jack sighed and got up,''Where are you going?'' Asked Rai, worried Clay might have insulted Jack into changing his mind. ''Don't freak, I'm just going to get dressed.'' Jack disappeared back into his house. When he came back out, he was clothed in his usual, arms laden with Sheng Gong Wu, which he tossed to Clay. ''There, a peace offering from the 'dirty snake-fink'.'' Jack said to Clay, who just harrumphed and had to be helped up on to Dojo by Kimiko (no one else would help him) because of all of the Sheng Gong Wu.
When they arrived at the temple, Master Feng was waiting for them,''Jack Spicer? Would someone care to explain?'' So they told him what had happened. ''Jack? You realize what this means, don't you?'' Master Feng questioned, ''Uhh, no more lazy sundays?'' Rai chuckled into his hand. Master Feng raised an eyebrow at Jack. ''No, it means hard work... blah blah blah (no Jack's not tuning him out, I'm just too lazy to write out one of Feng's long-winded speeches) blahty blah blah... in order to become a successful and heroic Xiaolin Dragon. Now, all that's left for you to do in order to be accepted here at the Xiaolin temple is to swear loyalty to us. Do you swear, Jack?'' Jack swore. Clay looked disgrunteled and walked away from the others, who were telling Jack about the temple and how he wouldn't regret his choice. It was now too late to do anything but sleep, so the Dragons were sent to bed. Since there were no other available rooms, Jack had to share with Rai. Jack leaned his back against the wall, drew his knees to his chest and rested his chin on them. Rai layed down on his back on one of the little mat-things (another one was added for Jack) that was *supposed* to add comfort to the hard floor. He turned his head toward Jack,''You looked depressed,'' He noted. Jack jumped a little, not realizing that Rai was still awake. ''Oh! Umm, why is Clay the only one who doesn't want me here?'' Jack not only wanted to change the subject, but he was also genuinely curious. ''Clay doesn't like change, it's just the way he is. Probably 'cuz of his father. That guy's kind of a redneck. And a stupid bastard. Wait, those are the same things.'' Rai grinned, but Jack didn't react to the joke. He merely nodded, accepting Rai's explanation. "Oh. Errmm, thanks for sticking up for me, no one's ever done that for me before.''
''Well, the way Clay was treating you wasn't right, wether it was his father's fault or not. I mean, you looked kinda depressed... has no one really ever stuck up for you?''
''What was with Omi?'' Jack said quickly, desperate to change the subject now. He hadn't meant to tell Rai that. ''Isn't he supposed to hate me?'' Rai looked curious at the abrupt change in topic, but said nothing concerning it. ''Not since you helped us defeat Wuya, ever since then, Omi has been convinced you belong on the side of good, not evil. He was pretty sad when you didn't show for that ice cream.'' For some reason, Jack found this amusing.''Really? I didn't mean to depress anyone,'' Jack uttered a hoarse, bark-like laugh. The kind of laugh somebody gives when he finds something cruelly ironic. This sent chills down Rai's back. He had never before seen this side of Jack. ''Jack, are you alright?" Jack gave the same laugh again, only in the form of a chuckle. ''Go to sleep Rai.''