Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ The Scream ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 8: The Scream
That night Vitani decided to sleep by the waterhole. She felt too out of place back at Pride Rock. She also didn't want to bother anyone with her crying. She sobbed pitifully by the edge of the water. If felt horrible to be alone. The heavy feeling in her chest was eating at her, picking at her wounds, hurting her already hurt heart. She was empty. She fell into a disturbed sleep, one she had grown accustomed to over the past few days.
Vitani awoke the next morning to a kind voice.
"Vitani." The male voice said.
She opened her eyes and saw Kovu. He was looking at her with deep concern.
"Vitani, where have you been? I was worried."
The skinny lioness sat up. "I went looking around because I just wanted to go walking." Vitani said, realizing she wasn't making much sense. But she didn't care. Nobody cared.
"Vitani, you don't look too good. I think you need some rest."
Vitani realized she had a pounding headache. She put her paw to her head as it throbbed in pain. She felt dizzy, and her vision began to blur. The last thing she saw was Kovu looking alarmed, and he had started to call someone over to help. Vitani collapsed.
Later that day, while Vitani was still unconscious, Simba called for another meeting. In this meeting, he announced he was feeling much better and told everyone he was ready to search for the lion who killed his friends that day instead of the next. Simba had recovered quickly because he was ready to avenge Timon and Pumbaa's deaths. He also announced that Vitani was ill and that Kiara would stay and watch over her and Kanai's cubs. Kiara protested at first; she wanted to go with them, but Simba would not allow a chance of injury to his daughter. Just before all lions were about to set off, Kiara said her goodbyes to Kovu. After seeing them off, Kiara went to the den to see the cubs and Vitani. There were two cubs, a girl and a boy. They were Kanai's first cubs. Kiara looked at them longingly.
"It's going to be great when I have cubs just like you." She said to them.
The two cubs looked up at her with curious looks.
"Why do you want cwubs?" the little girl said. "Mommy said that we are full of twubble."
Kiara smiled. "What's your name?" She asked her.
"My name's Tali. And this is my brother, Mani."
"Well, Tali and Mani, I want cubs because I love my husband, Kovu, so much. Maybe one day you two will marry someone you love too."
"Ew! Not me! Girls are so gwoss!" Mani said.
"Yeah, boys are gwoss too." Tali said.
"No we're not!"
"Yes you are!"
"RRR! You're making me mad!"
Kiara smiled as the cubs tackled each other and started play fighting. Kiara decided to go visit Vitani who was laying in the other side of the cave. She was sleeping, but her breathing was labored. She was twitching her paws and legs. Kiara touched her forehead. It was very warm. Too warm. Vitani must be running a high fever. Kiara didn't know what to do. Rafiki had told everyone to just let her rest. He couldn't do much else.
Kiara looked skyward. "Please let her be okay..."

"I found his blood trail." Simba declared. "Follow me!"
Simba's head was low and his eyes were alert as he followed the trail. Soon the pride came upon the place where the lion had collapsed and where, unbeknown to the others, Vitani had helped him.
"He's been here. He laid right here." Simba said, stomping his foot on the folded grass. "I smell herbs. Someone helped him! He must have been healed enough to get away..."
Some lionesses cursed in frustration, others murmured quietly to each other. Sumba realized he could not tell which direction the lion went after that. The scent trail was gone.
"He's escaped us this time." Then Simba turned to his pride. "Next time he will not be so lucky. If any of you see this lion, alert me immediately. Let's go."
Simba didn't want to show his pride how down he was. He really wanted to avenge Timon and Pumbaa's deaths. He felt he had let them down. When the pride returned to Pride Rock, they checked on Kiara, the cubs and Vitani. Everyone was just as the pride had left them. Vitani's fever had seemed to gone down while they were gone. She still slept.
It was the middle of the day; the sun was high in the sky. Nala sent out a hunting party, but this time she didn't go with them. She tested them by letting the group make their own plans. After sending the party, Nala went to Simba. He was sitting at Timon and Pumbaa's grave. Simba spent a lot of his time there, but this time he looked sadder than usual.
"I'm sorry... I failed you..."
Nala approached him quietly, and put her head under his chin. They didn't say a word as they stared at the grave.

Kiara and Kovu were laying down facing each other in a nearby field. They were planning their future while basking in the sun.
"So how many cubs to you want?" Kiara asked.
"I don't know. How many do you want?"
"One or two at first. Then we can have more if you want."
"Yeah." He said quietly.
Kiara smiled. She moved closer to him and nuzzled him. "I'm so happy, Kovu, I love you so much." she said.
Suddenly, Simba walked over. Kovu and Kiara sat up quickly.
"Uh...hi!..uh...Sir..." Kovu stammered.
"Hi Daddy! ...uh... what are you doing here?"
Simba chuckled. "I came to see how you were."
Kiara decided to take this opportunity to ask him about cubs. "Daddy, I have something to ask you... Can Kovu and I ha-"
Suddenly, there was a scream coming from the den. The three lions turned their heads. Kovu's heart skipped a beat as he shouted, "VITANI!"
Kovu ran with all his might with Kiara and Simba following.