Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ Saying Goodbye ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
That last chapter was one of my favorites. Hope you liked it too. Thanks for reading.

Chapter 15: Saying Goodbye
Kovu went back to the Pride Lands, drenched in and out. There was a glum look on his face when he stepped into the cave. He shook off the water in his coat. Several lionesses got sprinkled by him, and acknowledged his presence.
"Kovu's back." Tikana, one of the eight former outlanders announced.
Tikana walked up to him and then noticed his expression.
"What's the matter?"
"Uh..." Kovu started, then made up an excuse. "The rain makes me sad; that's all."
"Oh.." Tikana said. "Well, be happy! Even if they aren't." Tikana pointed at some other lionesses licking their fur. They gave Kovu dirty looks for getting them wet. Tikana laughed.
"Sorry." he told the lionesses, smiling sheepishly.
Kovu walked over an empty space in the cave. He wanted to be alone. His sister was gone, and it made his chest hurt. He had figured she might have been seeing that lion, but he hadn't known what to do about it. He wasn't expecting these turn of events. Now she was gone. Kovu felt empty and ashamed for not telling anyone. Now what will they think?
Kovu went to Simba and gave him a brief report about the herd animals he met outside. He tried to appear normal instead of what he actually felt. It seemed to work, because Simba didn't say anything about his demeanor. After he talked with Simba, he went over to Kiara who was laying down. He noticed her breathing was slow, indicating that she was asleep. He sat by his beautiful wife.
"Why did Vitani leave us?" he thought. "Did she like that lion that much?"
Kovu put a paw lightly on the top of Kiara's head and moved it down her neck. He loved her more than anything, and he would never leave her. He laid down next to her for a nap. Kovu could hear the rain outside. Would Vitani be okay?
Later that day, it finally stopped storming. There was only a light rain left over. Kovu awoke to her sister's name.
"Where is Vitani?" someone asked.
Kovu opened his eyes and saw some lionesses talking.
"I don't know. I haven't seen her in a while."
Kovu stood up and realized that Kiara wasn't laying there anymore. She was up; walking around. She looked like she as in pain. Kovu walked over to her.
"Are you okay?" he asked, very concerned. "Is it cramps?"
"Yeah, I'm trying to make them go away. Some experienced lionesses told me to get up and walk around."
"Anything I can do?"
"Nah." She then looked through the mouth of the cave. "At least it stopped raining hard." she said trying to look on the bright side. She walked closer to him and put her head under his chin. Kovu was still looking outside, in the direction Vitani took off to.
"Hey Kovu, is there something wrong?" she asked, noticing his far off look.
"Nothing."
Kiara looked skeptical. "Come on. What is it?"
Kovu looked at her. Could he tell her? Would she tell her father? And if she did, would Simba insist on hunting them down? Kovu didn't want to lie to Kiara. But Kovu also didn't want his sister to be caught.
"Well...?" Kiara said.
"Well, Kiara, don't tell anyone this, and I mean anyone."
A confused looked appeared on her face. "Okay..."
"Vitani left the pride."
"WHAT!" Kiara looked around. "She is gone. Why did she leave?"
"She went to run away with her boyfriend."
"Oh." Kiara said. "Did she tell you who her boyfriend was?"
"I found out on my own. Kiara, this is what you cannot tell...It's that lion that killed Timon and Pumbaa!"
Kiara looked shocked. Her eyes widened and took a step back.
"What?" she whispered, utterly shocked.
"You can't tell Simba. He'd kill her!"
"He won't kill her." she said turning in the direction of where Simba lay with Nala.
"No! Kiara, no. Don't! He might kill the lion."
"Exactly! If we don't tell him we could be punished."
"I knew I shouldn't have told you." Kovu said sitting down. Kiara turned to face him.
"So should we just let them be? My dad will be happier with him dead!" she said forcefully.
"But Vitani won't!"
There was a moment of silence. Kiara looked into his eyes. She had noticed how sad Vitani was before she met that boyfriend that Kiara didn't even know about until now. Kiara lowered her head, giving in.
"I wont tell. For Vitani."
"Thank you." he said nuzzling her.
Suddenly, Nala walked up to them.
"Hi guys." she said.
"Uh hi, Mom." Kiara said nervously.
"Have you two seen Vitani?"
"No, I haven't." Kovu said.
"She's been missing for a while. I hope we won't have to send a search party out for her. I'll ask the others if they've seen her. See you around." she finished, walking toward the other lionesses.
Kovu and Kiara gave each other a look of concern.

A week passed with (of course) no sign of Vitani. Nala had indeed sent out a search party to look in the Pride Lands everyday during that week, but no one found her. Kiara and Kovu knew why. She was gone and probably very far away.
After about two weeks had passed since Vitani had left, they stopped searching. Simba announced that she either left the pride on her own, or lost her life, possibly during the storm. A ceremony in her honor was going to be held soon. The ceremony was just for the lions. All gathered on Pride Rock. A few of Vitani's closest friends spoke at the ceremony, saying the nicest things about her. After each lioness had finished speaking, they placed flowers on the peak of the rock. Soon it was Kovu's turn. All looked at him as he walked in front of everybody and he sat facing his pride. He placed the flower he had in his mouth on the ground. He cleared his throat and spoke.
"My sister and I were very close. We played when we were little, we did everything together. She was my sister...and my best friend."
Some lionesses were wiping away tears.
"If someone took her life...uh...may they live a...uh... cursed life. If she had chosen to leave on her own then I hope she is the happiest she has ever been. We will all miss her." He then picked up his flower with his teeth and ascended pride rock. When he got near the peak, he lowered the flower to the ground where several other flowers were.
"Goodbye, my sister." he whispered.
He rejoined the other lionesses and all started singing the traditional song they sang when someone died.
After the ceremony, Simba went to see his mom. Lately, she had been sleeping all day, so she had missed the ceremony.
"Mom? Are you awake?" Simba said softly.
She opened her tired eyes.
"Yes, Simba, I'm awake."
"How are you feeling?"
"Simba, I'm getting old. It'll be time for me to see your father soon. I really wanted to see Kiara's cubs, though."
"Don't worry, mom, you'll make it. Don't even worry about it."
Sarafina walked over.
"How are you, Sarabi?"
She leaned down and nuzzled her.
"I'm old. I don't know how much-"
"No, mom, don't talk like that!" Simba said, trying not to cry. "You aren't going to die. You are going to see my grandkids, and you are going to be a great-grandmother."
She looked up at him with big eyes.
"Simba, you are a great son."
She then put her head down in her paws.
"I'm going to nap now. I feel a bit tired. Thanks for coming to see me." She closed her eyes. Her steady breathing seemed peaceful.
Simba walked away. He didn't want anyone to see him cry. Kings shouldn't cry, right? He couldn't even think about life without his mom. It would be very depressing when she left. He would miss her dearly.
Simba stepped outside. It wasn't raining anymore. It was nice; the temperature was just right. He walked to the water hole, feeling miserable. When he got there, he lapped up some water. A tear rolled down his cheek. After a moment, someone joined him. It was Kovu.
"Hello, sir." he said.
Simba sat up.
"Hi, Kovu. Sorry you saw me like this." he sniffed, wiping away a tear with his paw. "My mother is getting old, and will soon pass on. I don't want to lose her."
Kovu sat down.
"I know what it's like to lose someone." he said. Simba looked at Kovu. His mother died, and so did his brother. And now his sister was gone. Kovu had it worse than he did.
Simba put a paw on Kovu's shoulder.
"Thank you...son."
Kovu smiled.