Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ The Queen's Dismiss ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 16: The Queen's Dismiss
The rest of the day, Simba sat with his mother. She woke up to eat every now and then. The next morning, Rafiki was called over to see Sarabi while she was sleeping.
"Ah." he started. "She is aged."
"Yes, Rafiki, but what should we do? How much longer does she have, if we can't do anything?"
"She will keep going in and out of sleep. Den, she will sleep...and never wake up."
A shiver went down Simba's spine.
"Oh...no..." Simba muttered. "How do I know she's not going to die right now?"
"There is no way to know when."
"Mother..."
"It's the circle of life, Boy. It's her time."
Just then, Sarabi's eyes fluttered open.
"Simba."
"Yes, Mother, I'm here."
"Simba, I'm dying. I don't know how much longer I can hold on."
"Please, Mom, stay awake. I want to be with you as long as I can."
"Have you learned nothing?" Sarabi almost yelled.
Simba jumped back. He was suprised that she had the energy to shout.
"I will always be with you." she said softly. "Your father and I, we will always be there for you."
Simba's eyes softened. Tears rolled down his face as he licked his mother's head.
"Where is my granddaughter? I need to see her."
"I will get her." the forgotton Rafiki offered.
He walked out of the den.
Kiara and Kovu were having a flirting fit. They were telling each other how cute the other one was and how much they loved each other when Rafiki walked up.
"I'm sorry to inturrupt, but Sarabi wishes your presence, Kiara."
Kiara jumped up. "Oh no! It's not her time is it?"
Not waiting for an answer, Kiara sped off to the cave. Kovu followed. When he got there, Simba was outside the cave, trying to hide his tears. Kovu sat by him.
"Any news?" Kovu said hopefully.
"Rafiki thinks it will happen soon." Simba sniffed, not wanting to say any word related to death.
"Oh." Kovu said hanging his head. Kovu didn't know Sarabi well, but it was sad all the same.

-meanwhile-

"Hello Kiara, How are you?"
"Just fine, grandma." She said sitting down beside her.
She was laying down and looking up at Kiara with sad, dying eyes.
"I'm sorry, Kiara, but I won't see your cubs on Earth."
"Oh, Grandma!" Kiara said hugging her the best she could while Sarabi was laying down.
When she pulled back from the embrace, Kiara was crying.
"I will see your cubs in heaven, Mufasa and I. I will always be watching them grow. I will watch you become a great queen."
Kiara nodded, trying to be strong.
"I'm going to miss you grandma."
"I will always be with you, My Darling."
Kiara and Sarabi talked about old times, like back when Kiara was a cub. The rest of Sarabi's day was spent with her friends and family. Sarabi was was tired, but she didn't want to let go. Very early the next morning, she was still awake. No one had slept for fear of Sarabi's death. Rafiki approached Sarabi.
"You are feeling tired, arent you, Sarabi?" he asked her.
"Yes. I think it might be my time to go." she said quietly.
"No mother!" Simba said. "I don't want you to go."
"Simba. We must let the Circle of Life happen. We can't stop it."
"Good bye, Sarabi." Sarafina said, in tears. "I'll never forget you. You are the kindest, best friend I've ever had."
"You too, Sarafina. I've always treasured our friendship." Sarabi smiled.
Sarafina nuzzled her. Then, Nala came up to Sarabi.
"I'll miss you, Sarabi. Mom."
She nuzzled her mother-in-law.
"I'll miss you too, Nala. You are such a great kid. Make sure you keep Simba out of trouble."
"Of course I will." Nala said, chocking back tears.
A few other lionesses said their goodbyes. Then it was Simba's turn.
"Mom." he said.
"Simba." she said smiling.
Tears came to Simba's eyes. They spilled down his cheeks and muzzle. He leaned down and hugged his mom.
"Be strong, My Son. I will always love you. I will always be watching you."
Simba didn't want to let go.
"I am very proud of you, son. Your father was proud. He told me often. You are a great King."
Simba finally broke the embrace. A few lionesses sniffed. He looked into his smiling mother's eyes.
"You are a great King...and a great son. You've made me so proud."
Sarabi licked her son's cheek.
"I love you, Mom"
Sarabi smiled, and then closed her eyes. Everyone was silent as she breathed her last. Simba hung his head. His tears fell on her face. Nala leaned over and nuzzled his neck, while Kovu put his paw on Kiara's. Sarafina then started the ceremonial song. All Simba could do was cry. Rafiki walked over to Sarabi's body and said a prayer. He took one of the fruits on his staff and opened it. He dipped his fingers in the juice that was on the inside, and put a stripe on her forehead. He said one final prayer, and the joined the lionesses in their sad song.

A/N: In case anyone thought this, no I don't hate Sarabi. She was one of my favourites as were Timon and Pumbaa, it's just that they don't fit into the plot as all.