Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ In The Jaws Of Death ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 17: In the Jaws of Death
The rest of the early morning was spent burying Sarabi's body. Long ago, Mufasa's body was moved and buried behind pride rock. Sarabi's body was put beside Mufasa's. Everyone said their final goodbyes as they dropped flowers that they had found on the path on Sarabi's body. Simba kissed his mother for the last time, and then she was buried. Dirt was kicked over her, and the lions continued singing the song. Then, after it was done, all lions went to go to sleep. All but one.
That one lion was Simba. His mother was gone. Simba wondered if it was the tragic life she had when Scar was king that caused her early death. Scar. He had caused this. Simba's eyes grew angry.
"It was Scar." He said angrily.
He shook his head. His mane flew from side to side.
"Scar." he said between clenched teeth.
"Why! Why Scar?" Simba shouted at the ground.
Scar had hurt him so much. Had he ruined everything? No. He still had Nala. He had Kiara too. That's when it hit him. He realized he had to move on. Stop dwelling on the past. Sarabi was gone, but he'd see her again one day. After a few more minutes, Simba retired to his bed and went to sleep.
A few uneventful weeks passed. Everyone who knew Sarabi well weren't completely over it. Who would be? The two cubs, Tali and Mani were full size cubs at this time. They had become more rambunctious and of course, troublesome. One day, Tali and Mani were playing with Kiara like they used to when they were younger.
Kanai wanted to take a break, so Kovu and Kiara were babysitting the two. As the two cubs got bored, Kiara suggested a game of hide and seek.
"Mani! You're it!" Tali shouted.
"Nuh-uh! Kovu is!"
"Yeah! Kovu! Kiara'll be base." Tali declared.
"Okay, okay." said Kovu. "I'll be it. I'm going to count to thirty, so hide quick!"
"Okay!" they said in unison, and sped off.
"Not too far!" Kiara shouted after them.
"Kiara, they'll be fine."
"Um, Kovu, they were my age when I broke my father's rule and went off his path and met you. If I know anything about being a kid, and I do, those kids will want to get into trouble."
"Kiara, don't worry your pretty little head."
Kiara looked up at Kovu with a smirk on her face. He leaned down and nuzzled her. They smiled warmly at each other. Then Kovu said,
"Has it been thirty seconds?"
What a mood killer.
"More like twenty."
"Okay, close enough." he said hopping off to go find them.
"Ready or not, here I come!" Kovu shouted playfully.
Kiara watched Kovu bound off to find the cubs. Then she clenched her teeth in pain. A sudden cramp had formed in her stomach.
"You sure are creating a problem!" she told her stomach. "But you'll be worth every second of pain."
After about two minutes or so, Mani came running over to Kiara in a laughing, panting fit.
"Ha ha! I made it!"
"Alright! Great job, Mani! Kovu doesn't even stand a chance against you."
"Yeah, I know!" he agreed.
Mani then turned away from Kiara and looked out.
"I know where Tali hid. My hiding spot is so much better than hers. My place rocks!"
As Mani pounced around excitedly, Kiara looked at him. Mani was brown in color. The tuft of fur on his head was dark brown. He had yellow eyes and had a dark brown spot on the back of each of his ears. Tali had the same thing on her ears, but she was more of a lighter brown color. Her eyes were a light blue. Just when Kiara was wondering what her cub would look like, Kovu came running over to Kiara.
"Aw, Mani! You got to base." he said.
"Yep! You didn't find me, I won!"
Kiara giggled at the innocence.
"So where's Tali?" Kovu asked.
Kiara's ears perked up.
"Hm? Tali hasn't come for base yet. She's still out there, Kovu."
"Oh, well, I guess I'll keep looking. We have no reason to worry yet. I'll go look some more."
He turned and left to go look. It hadn't been long but what would they do if Tali was lost? They were a bit of a distance from the others at Pride Rock. If Tali was lost, they would have to run a bit to get back to the others. Kiara shivered. She had a really bad feeling. Kovu had only been gone for about ten minutes when Kiara couldn't stand it anymore. She turned to the waiting Mani.
"Mani, where did Tali hide?"
"Hey, I'm not a snitch."
"No, Mani. Tell me. It's not a game anymore." Kiara said seriously.
Mani understood how serious this could get by the sound of Kiara's voice. He didn't put up much more of a fight.
"She's way over there by that tree. She's behind that bush right beside it." He said pointing to a bush by a tree in the distance.
"Let's go." Kiara said getting up.
"Maybe you shouldn't get up." Mani said concerned, thinking about her unborn cub.
"Nah, I won't lose the baby from walking, though everyone thinks I will." she said as she rolled her eyes. "Now, let's go."
Kiara and Mani started trotting over to the tree and bush. Kiara prayed with her entire soul that Tali would be there, unharmed. Kiara's heart beat grew faster and faster as they got closer to the bush. When they arrived Kiara looked behind it...and...
She wasn't there.
"Oh no!" Kiara said as her heart jumped from shock. "Mani, you said she was right here?"
"Yeah." he said quietly.
"Tali! Tali! You can come out now, you won!" Kiara yelled, looking around. "Tali?"
"Kiara, look!" Mani said, pointing.
On the ground, by the bush, there were small claw marks in the dirt. A sign of a struggle.
Kiara's mouth dropped with her hopes. Kiara tossed her head up, franticly looking for Kovu.
"Kovu! Kovu, come quickly!"
In seconds, Kovu came running.
"What! Did you find her?" he panted, looking frantic.
"Kovu, come here and look at this." she said pointing at the claw marks.
"Tali." Kovu said immediately. Kovu looked at Kiara who was now near tears.
"Oh, Kovu, what happened to her?"
"Hey, look!" Mani said.
"What is it Mani?" Kovu asked.
"A paw print! And here's another!" he said walking along a path of dirt. "They lead this way."
"Let's go!" Kovu said following the young cub.
Kovu, Kiara and Mani followed the light paw marks for several yards. The paws were big. Did who ever make these prints take Tali? The trio went several more feet and then heard a deep growl.
"Stop right there." A voice boomed. "Don't move...or I'll kill her."
Kovu, Kiara, and Mani slowly looked up. The sight made Kiara gasp. A few yards away, was Tali, in the jaws of a large male lion.