Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 3: Royal Journey ❯ The Heir, Kivu Is Born ( Chapter 42 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 42: The heir, Kivu is born
It was bright and beautiful as Simba stood on Pride Rock. He gazed down at his kingdom and at the awaiting animals. Simba took one step back, and dark clouds started rolling in. Distant thunder sounded. Simba turned and started descending the throne and the sky grew darker and darker with each step he took. It was now pouring rain.
As the mighty red maned lion descended, an even mightier dark lion ascended. With each step of this lion, the thunder grew fiercer and the rain fell harder. Nearby trees could be heard moaning in the strong, howling wind.
He ascended with an evil grin. Blood fell from his long fangs as he finally reached the top. The scar on his left eye shown brightly even in the darkness. Kovu looked down over the animals who were now his subjects with narrowed eyes and shining teeth. He then roared with the might and power of a world of pain and suffering.
The animals flinched at his roar, and no hoots of agreements were heard. After the new king's long threatening roar ended, he turned and descended the throne with even more hate in his eyes. His pace quickened and then he quickly went into an all out run directly at the old king, who was waiting by the mouth of the cave. Claws and teeth stretched out, yearning to taste his blood. Then everything went black.
Simba awoke with a jolt. He panted hard and looked around. He was in the cave, and it was dark. Nala lied peacefully at his side. The rise and fall of her chest and belly told him she was at a steady sleep. Other deep breathing could be heard from all over the cave.
"It was a dream." Simba breathed quietly. "I hadn't had one like that in a while." Although this dream would have been traumatizing to any other lion in his situation, Simba rightfully took it very lightly, and easily went right back to sleep.
The next day looked promising. The sky was clear, and the sun was out. Birds chirped their beautiful melodies. Kiara and Kovu took this opportunity to take a walk. It was more of a waddle for Kiara, which Kovu kindly pointed out.
"Kovu, you are always making fun of me."
"Well I just work with what you give me." He laughed to himself. Kiara growled playfully. "Oh hush, what are you going to do?" he said, "Are you going to waddle over here and talk me to death?"
Kiara laughed "Hey!" she said, "I don't talk that much."
Kovu got into a playful crouch with his tail in the air. "Then your ears must clog when you start talking, so you have no idea when to stop because you didn't even know when you started!"
"Kovu!" she said trying not to laugh, "Why you!"
He wiggled his tail end in the air and laughed. Then ran when he saw playful anger on Kiara's face. "Betcha can't catch me, Waddles!" He ran laughing. Kiara didn't chase him.
"If he thinks I'm going to chase him, he's got another thing coming!" she said to herself. She suddenly felt immense pain in her lower stomach.
"Oh Kings." She said when the pain didn't go away after a few moments. "Oh this is it, okay, stay calm." She gently and painfully lowered herself to the ground and carefully laid on her side. She clenched her teeth in pain and squeezed her eyes shut.
"Kovu!" she managed to squeak. When he didn't come, she panicked. "KOVU! Kovu, hurry!" The pain increased and she squealed in pain. Then Kiara heard what sounded like thundering paws. It was Kovu who was racing toward her. He stopped abruptly beside her.
"Ohhh, crap." He said.
"Yeah," Kiara said, "Just what I was thinking!"
"Does…Does it hurt?" he asked quietly as she clawed the dirt.
"Ya think?"
"I need to get help."
"But, Kovu, don't leave me!" Kiara felt a slight de'ja'vu. Now she knew why Toni didn't want to be left alone when she was in labor. But, suddenly, the pain in Kiara's lower stomach ebbed. She slowly let out a whoosh of breath she had been holding in. Then she looked at Kovu.
"What's happening?" he said.
"It doesn't hurt anymore."
"Is…is that a good thing?"
"I don't know, probably not!"
"Oh no," he said, "What do we do?"
"I want to go back where everyone else is." She tried getting up and found it easy to do. She slowly got to her feet. Kovu steadied her.
"Will you be okay to walk?"
"Yes."
They both slowly walked back to the cave. Some lionesses caught sight of them and wondered what was up. Kiara, with Kovu's help, gently climbed the step-like stones to get on Pride Rock.
"Here," Kiara said as she lowered herself in front of the cave opening. Tima padded over.
"Hey, what's going on?" She asked curiously.
"Get the others, the cub is coming!" Kovu announced. Tima slightly gasped and ran to get the others. Soon, Simba and Nala were at Kiara's side along with Kovu. Simba looked ruffled to say the least. The rest of the pride also arrived and gathered to watch. Toni and Kanai looked happy that their friend would finally experience the joy of child birth. Ciara and Jai were behaving at Toni's side, Tali and Mani at Kanai's. Kiara wasn't feeling any pain yet, but she felt that it was time. She felt slightly nauseous. Mairu quizzed her about how she was feeling and reminded her to breathe deeply.
Rafiki soon arrived with the seemingly forgotten Zazu on his shoulder. The two had been spending much time together, as they grew older. Zazu had returned from the Mountain Pride after a couple days. He reported all were sad to know Thresh was dead, but Zazu made sure to tell them he died a hero. Zazu said he noticed one small lioness in particular who burst into tears...
Rafiki sat by Simba and smiled.
"Now is the moment, ay Simba boy?" He laughed in his particularly creepy way.
Simba could only nod with huge eyes.
Rafiki laughed again at Simba's distress. Herds of animals were now gathering around Pride Rock. Word spread fast among the herds. More and more animals appeared below the rock.
Kiara now felt the pain again. "Ohhh!" she moaned.
"Okay, Kiara, remember the breathing," Mairu reminded.
"Okay…okay," she breathed. Kovu moved to her head.
"It's okay Kiara, It's okay." He obviously didn't like to see her in pain, but there was nothing he could do.
She closed her eyes and strained to breathe. The pain was uncomfortable and of course in large amounts. The pain and pressure in her lower stomach lasted several long minutes. When almost half an hour had gone by, Kiara felt Kivu was almost here.
"He's coming!" she squeaked.
Mairu then nodded to Rafiki who moved to Kiara's tail end. He told Kiara to push. Kiara strained to push as hard as she could. She grunted in pain.
"It's okay, it's okay." Kovu kept repeating.
"Push!" Mairu said.
Kiara could hear everyone talking at once. She wished they would all be quiet so she could concentrate.
With one final effort, a tiny cub slid from Kiara. Everyone was silenced by his tiny squeeking. Kiara let out a whoosh of breath and laid her head down. She felt the movement of Rafiki's hand as he removed the baby. Everyone looked over to see the cub in her arms. Kiara would have looked also, but she felt very tired. In her heart, despite her fatigue, she was jumping for joy. A smile formed on her lips.
"A healthy baby boy, and de Prince of de Price Lands." Rafiki said.
All were awed at the sight of the future king. Rafiki brought Kivu over to Kiara's arms. She managed to raise her head and watch him place the small cub into her arms.
"Kivu," she breathed. Kovu was looking down over her shoulder with awe. Kiara smiled and looked at Kovu. He looked at her and returned the smile. They shared a nuzzle and a purr.
"Look at our son." He said after a moment. Kivu was a light shade of brown. He had blacked rimmed ears much like Simba when he was born and through his cub life.
"Hello, Kivu." Kiara said. Kiara looked at her newborn baby. Se couldn't think of words to say to her new son. Tears formed in her eyes. She could never have been happier. Simba and Nala looked on happily. Simba looked less ruffled now that the cub was born. Nala licked Simba's cheek.
Rafiki then untied one of the fruits from his staff, and broke it open. He dipped his thumb into the fruit and gently turned Kivu's head toward him with his other hand. He crowned Kivu with the fruit's inner juice. The orange juice was then lightly sprinkled with dust that Rafiki gathered from the rock. The cub reacted to the dust by squirming. Kiara couldn't stop smiling. Rafiki then turned to Toni, who was sitting close by. She had both her cubs in front of her paws. Rafiki re-dipped his thumb and then crowned the small orange cub. Ciara looked as if she were wondering what he was doing. Jai also looked curious and tried to lick the juice off of Ciara's head. Toni quickly whispered for him to behave. Rafiki then put the fruit on the ground and then lightly put one hand on Kivu's head and the other on Ciara's.
"May dese two grow togedda in friendship and love, for one day dey will be married and share the throne as King and Queen of the Pride Lands."
He then removed his hands from them both and then stepped back, as if to say he was finished for the moment. Excitement was soon spread all around. All were talking and congratulating the new parents, as well as Kivu's grandparents.
"Isn't this great!" Toni said to Kiara, "We finally have our cubs!"
"I know. I'm so happy." Kiara said looking at Kivu once more. "And I'm ready for a nap."
"Not quite yet," Simba said as he came over to his daughter and grandson. Lionesses moved out of the way to let the King and Queen to approach the heir. "There's still one more thing to do."
Both Kiara and Kovu knew what it was. They looked at each other with apprehension.
"Kivu still needs to be presented to the Kings, and then…you will become King and Queen of the Pride Lands."