Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 4: A Single Step ❯ Thought ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Hello again everyone! Thank you for your reviews of the last chapter, though I would like to point out that hurrying me isn't going to get a new chapter up any sooner. You need to understand and realize that I have other priorities, like school and friends. Thank you 3 And also, yes I am fully aware that my chapters are short. They will start getting longer as they go along.
Chapter 6: Thought
Many suns and moons passed peacefully over the Pride Lands…
A young adolescent lioness was staring into a leafy tree. Her tail twitched irritably. Her green eyes glared at the tall challenge before her.
Ciara was bored alone at the waterhole before, but then decided to test herself by trying to climb a tree. She pictured it to be easy. Now she readied herself, shook her hind quarters and leapt. With the strength of a growing adolescent, her claws strained, but held. She felt the muscles pull on all four legs as she tried to hold on. When she rose a paw to go further, reaching for the nearest thick branch, her claws gave way, and with a grunt, fell to the ground. She landed on all fours, just in time to hear someone chuckling.
"Ciara, don't you know that lions cant climb trees?" the lion said with an amused smile. The lion with red eyes and a brown pelt sat in front of Ciara. The tuft on his head had grown thick, and hung slightly over his eyes. Some grew on his neck.
"Kivu, why do you always sneak up on me?" Ciara said playfully, and walked toward him. Kivu rolled playfully on the ground as she neared.
"Because you're fun to mess with," he said grinning. She swatted him with a smile, and kept walking, heading back to the pride.
Later, Kivu was laying around near Pride Rock with Jai, Tali and Mani. Jai now had a larger tuft of his yellow-orange mane on his head, and down the back of his neck. Jai often complained how much it itched along his neck, knowing his small mane would soon be getting gradually bigger. Mani had grown a mane, but just slightly bigger than both Kivu and Jai's. He proudly notices a small tuft starting to grow on his chest.
Tali had grown into a fine young lioness. Her thin legs had grown longer, and stronger. Her hunting skills were top-notch, with her agility and cunning. Tali's solo hunting test was to be coming up soon, and everyone knew she would pass wonderfully.
The four adolescents weren't doing anything in particular. They were just laying about in the sun. Kivu and Jai laid their heads down on their paws to sleep. Tali and Mani started talking about their father for a while, wondering what he was doing now. They didn't really chat about their unknown father too often. Their mother had told them little about him, but the two understood that sometimes lionesses mated for the purpose of having offspring. That didn't stop them from wondering.
After some chatting, Tali and Mani started grooming one another. Kivu noted that the two were as close as Jai and Ciara were. Kivu didn't know how it would be like with a sibling, like his friends had, but he often wondered. After sitting in the hot sun for a few hours, Kivu got up and asked Jai if he wanted to go to the water hole. The two headed over, and when hey got there they both took long drinks from the cool water. Kivu felt refreshed as the gulps slid down his parched throat. He then laid down for more rest. Jai followed suit.
Kivu closed his eyes and listened to the crickets and birds sing. He was about to doze when Jai's voice interrupted him.
"Kivu?"
"Hmm yeah?" he said with his eyes closed, unmoving.
"I was just wondering," Jai said, "How does it feel to know you will one day be king?"
Kivu then opened his eyes and rose his head, considering the question. "Well, I don't know. I guess I feel okay about it. I don't really feel like it's a big deal."
"Not a big deal? Kivu, to be king of the Pride Lands is a big deal. My mom said that the Pride Lands are one of the most well known lands all over Africa. To be king of The Pride Lands, is to be king of all."
Kivu looked at Jai, moved by his words. He expected an angry expression on Jai's face, maybe he was jealous of Kivu's future, but Kivu could read no upset expression. "Well I mean, I know it's a big deal. I'm just…not really worried about it."
"Do you wanna be king?" he asked suddenly.
"Well yeah. Its my duty, its in my blood. That's what my mom and dad tell me. Why do you ask? Where'd all this come from?"
"Oh nowhere, I was just thinking. It is a great responsibility, and I thought it must really bother the one whose next in line," he looked and smiled at Kivu. "They have to be sure they can take care of their pride. They must be fit for fighting, and defending. I'm sure its not a lot of fun all the time. They must have most of the responsibility, and must be intelligent. All of that could put a lot of pressure on a guy."
Kivu smiled too.
"But not you, huh?" Jai said and Kivu chuckled.
"Jai, you sound like you would be a good king."
"Ha-ha, no, that's not my future. I'll leave that to you, my friend."
The two smiled at each other and Kivu patted Jai's side with his tail as a friendly gesture. Soon the two were listening to the bugs again, and felt the sun's warm blanketing rays. They drifted off to a peaceful sleep.
Yes, another boring pointless chapter. : )