Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 4: A Single Step ❯ A Learning Experience ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]
I am so sorry for taking so long to write! Thank you for your nice comments. I have been neglecting updating here because I have been distracted with being out of school. And other things have been happening. But I will promise to get you the next chapter after this one soon.
Chapter 5 A learning Experience
As Ciara walked further from her mother, Kivu felt more and more dread. He knew they were breaking the rules, and he couldn't help but have a bad feeling. After a few more moments of following in silence, Kivu said,
"Ciara we really shouldn't be out here by ourselves."
Ciara said nothing, and kept on. He had no idea where this burst of mischievousness came from out of her, but he knew he had to stop it. He quickly leapt in front of her and planted his paws to the ground. He stood firm, and lifted his head with strong arrogance.
"Ciara, stop. We're turning back now."
Ciara's expression dropped, and a frown formed on her face. But then as her eyes traveled beyond Kivu's , she smiled.
"Look! We're here," She shouldered Kivu aside and trotted a few more yards ahead. The anxious boys followed, and sat on either side of Ciara. The three of them were looking down a huge cliff. Unknown to these cubs, this was the same cliff that took the great king, Mufasa's life long ago.
"Wow, it looks even cooler up close." Ciara said, looking down the gorge. Kivu hated to admit it, but it was impressive. When Ciara nudged a nearby pebble into the gorge, and it fell a very long way down, he noted to himself that a fall like that would mean certain death.
"Cool," Ciara muttered, as she leaned over to watch the pebble fall to the bottom. She smiled and looked up at Kivu. "Did you see that?"
"Ciara, watch what you're doing!" Kivu shouted, just slightly too late. As he warned, Ciara's footing slipped. She quickly thrust herself around, trying to regain her balance, and lunge away from the gorge but gravity took a hold of her and she slipped off the edge.
"Ciara!" Kivu shouted in alarm. In an instant, Jai managed to sink his claws into Ciara's paw. She gave a protesting squeak, and attempted to pull herself up. Her eyes were wide in fear, her back legs kicked at the earth, desperate to get on solid ground.
"Help!" she choked. She started slipping from Jai. Jai turned his eyes to Kivu, pleading him without words to somehow find a way to save her.
Kivu felt a fear like never before as he searched his mind for what to do. His mind was racing, but clouded by fear and adrenaline. Jai had turned his attention back to Ciara, attempting to grab her other paw. Jai's grip was loose, he could not hold her for much longer.
In her confusion and terror, Ciara could only kick and scream. Suddenly, with a yelp, Ciara dropped.
Kivu didn't know how he did it, but in the next moment, his jaws were clamped around Ciara's scruff, and he tossed her over his shoulder in such a speed never known to himself. Ciara grunted as she landed. To not lose his own balance and topple over the edge, Kivu had to throw his own weight away from the gorge. He landed in utter silence, still full of fear. He scrabbled away from the edge, as he saw it starting to crumble in large peaces down the side.
He managed to make a last leap away from the side, as the rock he had just been standing on disappeared over the edge where Ciara would have fallen to her death.
Kivu immediately jumped up, still wide eyed. He ran over to Ciara's still non-moving side. He quickly nudged her with his muzzle into a up-right sitting position. Her eyes blinked rapidly. Kivu licked Ciara's paw, washing the blood Jai's claws had drawn.
Ciara looked dazed as she watched Kivu Clean her paw. It stung, but she showed no reaction. She was in shock. Jai padded over, "Ciara are you okay," he said.
"Yes I think so…you saved my life." She looked at both boys. Kivu stopped licking, and looked at Ciara. His red eyes glistened with moisture, and Ciara realized how much he cared. Kivu gave a small smile. She wanted to give in and smile back, but she noticed how she and Kivu were only inches apart from one another. She suddenly stood up, shaking her paw from Kivu's grasp. She turned to her brother and rubbed her head on his small chest. She still felt the fear of almost falling over the hideous gorge, and took confort in being close to her big brother.
"You should have listened to what me and Kivu were saying." Jai said to her while putting a paw over her back.
"I'm sorry," she said quietly, and cried into his shoulder. He patted her back, and then broke the embrace.
"We'd better get back."
"Not a word of any of this to our mothers," Kivu said, stepping forward. "We would never see the light of another day if they found out what just happened."
When the trio had padded back to Toni, the lioness stood and looked relieved. Although she had noticed the cubs had dropped out of her sight, she hadn't gone looking for them. Though, if they hadn't shown up then, Toni was about ready to spring up and search for them.
"You kids," she said, walking over to them. "What did I tell you about leaving my sight?"
"Not to." Jai said meekly.
"That's right, and you should know why I set that rule, its so you wont get into any trouble. I was going to let you three have a little extra room to move and play, and I was close to hunting you down." Toni's tone was gentle but firm. "How far out did you go."
Jai looked at his sister, but Kivu spoke up, "It wasn't far at all, we were playing tag, but we forgot to set boundaries again. So we just got carried away and went just a little too far. But we came back when we noticed we were a little to far…that's all."
Toni looked carefully at the King's son. "That's all?" The young prince nodded. "You were just right over there?" He nodded again, the others mimicked his motion. Toni paused, and then heaved a sigh of relief.
"That's okay then. Lets go back to the others now," she turned and led the way, "Because you didn't go far, you aren't in trouble. But next time, make sure to let me know if you are just going a little further."
The three cubs looked at each other with relief, and trailed behind Toni. They'd gotten off easy.
"We'll be good," Ciara promised. Then looked down at her moving paws, realizing she had gotten them into that mess. Jai put his tail to her side, in a comforting gesture. Kivu looked at Ciara, and sighed with relief. Maybe now Ciara will be a little bit more careful. He didn't know why, but he feared for her safety above all others.
A little later, the cubs were laying around together, bored. Soon, Tali and Mani had come back and started happily telling them about what they learned that day. When they noticed their unenthusiasm, Tali questioned them.
"What's the matter?"
"Well," Kivu said, speaking up when the other two looked away, "We had a scary adventure a while ago…" Kivu told his older friends the whole story. Tali and Mani looked at them with understanding.
"But our parents don't know," Ciara added when Kivu finished. "You wont tell them will you?"
"No, we wont tell. Me and Mani had similar experiences."
"And don't feel bad about it, just think of it as…a learning experience. You learned to be a bit more careful."
The younger cubs nodded.
"Especially you Kivu, you're the prince."
"I sure am glad I'm getting a smaller lecture from you than one from my dad," Kivu laughed, lightly swatting Mani, "'Cause I think I would look like this:" He demonstrated by falling to the ground, with his paw over his chest, and tongue rolling out of his mouth. Ciara giggled and Tali poked Kivu's belly with a paw. This ended in a small scuffle, as Jai pounced upon his friend and wrestled with him, as young cubs often do.
The cubs would grow to be and learn everyday.