Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 4: A Single Step ❯ Trouble ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Sorry I'm late. I promised the update yesterday, but don't worry, I'm here.
Chapter 4 Trouble
The next day as planned, Kovu woke early to show Kivu the sunrise. Kovu told Kivu about the Pride Lands and the boundaries. He explained about what to do incase of an intrusion.
"Do you get to beat 'em up, Dad?" Kivu asked with enthusiasm.
"Ha-ha, only if they don't leave. That's when you can chase them out."
"Cool!"
Next, Kovu told him about the Circle of Life, something Zira never told him about. He had to learn about both the Circle of Life and the Great Kings of the Past from Simba.
The Circle of life confused Kivu.
"If our bodies become the grass, and the animals eat the grass, then aren't they eating us?"
Kovu was caught off guard with the question.
"And if we eat the animals, aren't we eating ourselves?" Kivu inquired.
"Well, technically, yes, but that is why it is The Circle of Life. We are all a part of each other. That is why…" he paused, "We are one."
Kivu looked up at his dad and smiled.
"Mom says that sometimes too!"
Kovu smiled, and then became serous, "Son, there will be a time when your mother and I wont be here, and you will be called to carry on in our place."
"You won't always be here? How come?"
"Well, we'll be here for a long while yet, but it's when we're gone that you'll become king."
"You mean when you…die?"
Kovu paused. "Yes."
"Oh. But didn't Grandma and Grandpa hand over the throne to you? They didn't die."
"You're right. That was a special occasion."
"Oh come on, you mean you wont give up the throne for me?" Kivu said playfully with his tail waving.
Kovu grinned, "We'll see, Kivu."
Later that day, Kivu went to go find his friends. He looked around the base of Pride Rock and found Jai.
"Hey Jai, what 'cha doin'?"
"Waiting for my mom to come. She told me to wait here."
"Oh." Kivu sat, "Where's Ciara?"
"With my mom. They should be here soon."
Sure enough, just as Jai said, Toni showed up with Ciara following behind. Ciara joined her brother and Kivu.
"Hi guys," she said. "Where's Tali and Mani?"
Toni answered, "They're with Kanai, getting some early hunting lessons. You know, Tali and Mani won't be able to play cub games with you much longer. They're on their way to becoming adolescents."
"Oh," Ciara said looking disappointed. She had felt a great friendship with Tali, and thinking of not spending time together hurt her.
"It's okay Ciara," Kivu said, going to her side and touching her shoulder with his paw. "You still have Jai and me."
Ciara shrugged him off. "Let's go, " she said and led the way.
Kivu looked at Jai and he shrugged. They followed Ciara.
"Make sure to stay in my sight, kids!" Toni called after them as she laid down for a nap.
Ciara made way to a small clearing nearby. She stopped and laid down on the soft ground, and put her head in her paws.
"Ciara, we still get to play with Tali and Mani for a while," Jai said, "They aren't grown up yet."
"I know," she said, but not unkindly. Jai nuzzled her. Suddenly, Ciara stood.
"Oh I just remembered, there's something cool I wanna show you guys." she said and started off in the direction away from Toni. Kivu looked at Jai questioningly, but followed.
"What is it, Ciara?"
"You'll see."
"Ciara we aren't supposed to leave your mother's sight." Kivu said.
"It's just over here a little ways. We wont get in trouble."
Ciara seemed sure, but Kivu worried. What had gotten into Ciara all of a sudden? He felt like they were about to walk into some trouble.
Sorry its short again. Hopefully it'll start picking up in a few chapters.