Other Fan Fiction ❯ The Lion King 4: A Single Step ❯ The Great Kings Of The Past ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
This chap is a short one. A little corny I guess. It will be familiar, but I also thing it is a necessary thing. What I do shows the relationship the parent has for the child and how it's passed from generation to generation.
Chapter 3 The Great Kings of the Past
A few days later, Kiara knew it was time to tell Kivu about the Great Kings of the past, and about his grandfather. She and Kovu had decided as King and Queen, to make it tradition to tell the heir about the watching skies during the cub age. Simba had told Kiara about them when she was Kivu's age, and Mufasa did the same to Simba.
Kovu and Kiara had talked about which of them should tell him. They both decided that the royal blood, in this case, Kiara, should tell him. They also made this into the tradition, since it also seemed to be happening this way over the years anyway. But if in the event that the lion with the royal bloodline wasn't able to do it, the spouse would have to take the duty.
After thinking about all of this, Kiara told Kovu she was ready to tell him that night.
"Tonight?"
"Yeah tonight, like now."
"Well alright. I'll go with you."
"No, Kovu, this should be time between him and I. It was part of the tradition we established," she nudged him lovingly. "Remember?"
"It doesn't say I couldn't just sit and watch."
"You can sit and watch. Just from a distance."
"Okay, I'll watch from Pride Rock. I'll be sure you won't get into any trouble."
Kiara laughed, "Okay," she said gently. After a nuzzle and a long sweet glance, Kiara turned away and went to look for her son. He had gone of to play with Ciara earlier that day. Kiara could only assume that an adult was watching them. After finding Kanai and Toni, who were grooming, they pointed out the 2 cubs playing a few yards away.
"Oh, I didn't see them over there." Kiara said. She walked over to them, noticing how they were completely engrossed in something that was laying on the ground. Their ears were perked and their tails high. Their noses were close to the dirt, to look at the object.
"What are you two doing?"
Kivu and Ciara jumped and immediately stood as a barrier in front of the secret object.
"Nothing!" They said in unison.
"What's that you're hiding there?"
Kivu stepped forward, "It's a secret."
Kiara smiled and decided to let them have their secret. "Okay," she said skeptically, then to Ciara, "Sorry Ciara, but I'm going to have to take Kivu from your play time."
"Oh," Ciara said disappointed, but then said, with a slight attitude to cover it up, "okay."
"Aw man, am I in trouble?" Kivu asked his mom.
"No, just come with me. Say good-bye to Ciara."
Kivu turned to his friend "Aww, man. Bye, Ciara."
"Bye," she returned.
Kiara then led Kivu into the dark fields of the night. She found the place where her father told her about the Great Kings. She laid down, and looked at her son, who was looking enthusiastically into the sky.
"Wow, Mom look at all the stars!"
"Yes, Kivu, aren't they beautiful? Do you know what those stars are?"
Kivu looked at his mom in wonder, then shook his head. Kiara thought back to try to remember what her father told her.
"Each one of them was once a Great King of the past. They now look down at us from those stars."
"Wow…and all of them are watching?"
"Yes, and if you ever need help, they will always be there to guide you." After a moment, Kiara remembered the last part, "And so will I."
Kivu then smiled up at Kiara and nuzzled under her chin. Kiara put her head over his body lovingly.
"I love you, Kivu."
"Love you too, Mom."