Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Host Club Love ❯ The plot comes to a steady temperature ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Do you see them?”
 
“How could I miss them? I wonder…”
 
“What happened? Is something wrong with Fujioka-san?”
 
“Why are they here?”
 
“Maybe somebody tried to hurt Haruhi-kun.”
 
“OOOH How romantic! After barely escaping with his life, Haruhi runs to the only person who can protect him. And Kyouya gladly offers him protection, secretly caring for him although maintaining his cold exterior.”
 
“MOE!” Girls squealed at the Moe-ness of it all.
 
Haruhi's hands clenched and unclenched in annoyance. “If it's any consolation Haruhi, this was all Tamaki's idea. Apparently he aims to protect you from Hikaru and Kaoru.”
 
The girl glared at Kyouya. “And THIS was his brilliant plan? Having you use your secret police to dog my every steps?”
 
“Basically. There were other things there too but I really wasn't listening. What's the matter?” Haruhi had stopped walking and abruptly turned to face the officer walking directly behind her. He was so close he barely avoiding crashing into her.
 
“Do they really need to walk this close?” Kyouya waved his hand and all six armed officers took two steps backward. “Wonderful… do they fetch too?”
 
“Depends on what it is you want to retrieve and how many of them it would theoretically take. You're going to be late for class.”
 
“And why do you need to be here?”
 
Kyouya smirked. “I don't know if you noticed, but they don't have much in the form of common-sense. I wasn't here to tell them what to do, you'd be wearing a full-body bullet-proof outfit, the halls would have been emptied and there would be a guard at every door you would need to pass. That is, of course, if they didn't give you an assumed name and whisk you and your father away to the Swiss Alps where you would live under guard in a cabin equipped with laser security, anti-missiles and a anti-telecommunications scrambler to prevent digital spying.”
 
“…Oh…”
 
“Besides, I'm quite amused by this.”
 
“Red Alert! Red Alert! Threat detected, secure target!”
 
“Wha..!”
 
“Just calm down.” Kyouya looked distinctly bored as the two were thrust into a classroom and the door blocked by one particularly muscular officer. “This happens a lot.”
 
“I'm not going to get used to this.”
 
“Sirs, step away from the targets or we will be forced to use violence.” Six weapons were pointed at someone Haruhi couldn't quite see.
 
“We're in the same class! We just want to talk to Haruhi.”
 
“I'm afraid that is impossible. Our orders are to prevent interaction between the target and yourselves. You fit the profile. Two distinctly malicious-looking identical beings.”
 
“Umm… Hikaru, Kaoru?” Haruhi tried to see over the bulky guy's shoulder.
 
“Haruhi! What's going on?”
 
“I don't know. Tamaki-sempai's behind it though.”
 
“Hey Kyouya-sempai, call them off!”
 
“Sorry, I can't.” Haruhi glared at the complete lack of actual sorry-ness behind Kyouya's words.
 
“Let me see this profile.” After a moment debating whether or not it would be alright, the head attack-dog handed over the file to the scowling twins. “What! Unarmed but assumed dangerous? Potential to breath fire or become invisible? This doesn't even look like us!” Hikaru waved the sketch around angrily. “I do not have fangs! And there are no horns on Kaoru's head either.”
 
“Sorry sir but you fit the profile. Please step away before we are forced to fire.” Inside Haruhi groaned and wondered whether jumping out the window to her death would be worth it.
 
Kaoru and Hikaru watched as the Ohtori brute squad hurried Haruhi down the aisle and away from them.
 
“This is low. Even for tono.”
 
“Don't worry Kaoru. I have a plan.”
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
 
The day dragged on for Haruhi. Twenty seven times she had to call Kyouya to stop his men from accosting random red-headed people, disturbing class or trying to follow her into the bathroom. The teachers were beginning to get slightly annoyed until fan-girls of the host club informed them of the `threat to Haruhi's life' and how `Kyouya-sempai's love was keeping him alive'. Kyouya's appearance every time Haruhi phoned didn't help the rumors. By that afternoon, twice the usual number of girls headed for the third music room.
 
Much to Haruhi's dismay, the brute squad didn't leave when it came time for her to go to the host club.
 
“Kyouya-sempai…”
 
“Their presence is attracting more customers. I did not expect the response to this to be this great. This is good for business… or have you forgotten your debt? Be grateful, you are excused from duties today and the usual number of designations will be credited to your account.”
 
So Kyouya would be no help. Well at least she wouldn't have to entertain today.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
 
Honey-chan had managed to get icing all over his chin, and most of the girls in the room were busy squealing as Takashi wiped it off. Kaoru risked a glance over to where Haruhi was finally enjoying some study time. A tear escaped from the corner of his eye. He moved to wipe it away before anyone noticed, but Hikaru was too fast for him.
 
“Kaoru! Are you alright? Is something wrong?” Their clients turned their attention to the twins. Kaoru flung himself into his brother's arms and sobbed.
 
“I'm s-sorry. I'm so sorry Hikaru! I didn't mean to get you in trouble. I'm so sorry!”
 
“Shh, no, it's my fault Kaoru.” Gently he brushed his brother's tears away. “I knew you were tired and I should have held you myself. No, this isn't your fault.”
 
“But I've got you in trouble with tono, and you didn't do anything. Hikaru I'm sorry!”
 
“It's alright. It's alright, I'll be fine. When we get home we can curl up in my bed and we'll forget all about it.”
 
“Is he alright?” One of the concerned clients asked. “Is there anything we can do?”
 
“No, thank you though. It's nothing. Kaoru just over-reacts sometimes.”
 
“Please Hikaru! Tell them the truth, don't try to protect me.” He pushed himself out of his brother's embrace. “I'm sorry ladies, but the truth is Tamaki-sempai is angry at Hikaru now and it's all my fault.”
 
“Kaoru! I mean it. It's alright. You ask me not to protect you, but that is what I am supposed to do! Please, for my sake, forget about it.”
 
“I can't.”
 
“What happened Kaoru-kun?” Another client leaned forward curiously.
 
“Haruhi … was afraid went to hide under the table. I followed him, and Hikaru came too to make sure I didn't do anything stupid. I only wanted to comfort Haruhi but I feel so… comfortable around him. I haven't felt that from anyone but my brother before. After a while I guess I must have… fallen asleep in Haruhi's lap… and tono found us and thought I was doing… improper things to Haruhi. I would never take advantage of Haruhi like that! But I understand why tono was upset. Our position looked very, very bad. Anybody seeing us in that position would have been angry. So in exchange for not telling Haruhi's father about me, Hikaru agreed to stay far away from him. I…I didn't mean for him to suffer for my wrongs! Both of us like Haruhi so much… I think he might be Hikaru's best friend apart from me… I even told him, if anything happened to me, he could let Haruhi sleep on my side of the bed so he wouldn't be lonely… but now…”
 
All three clients were in tears as Kaoru collapsed sobbing back into his brother's arms. Other ladies had started to wander over and soon a crowd began growing.
 
“It's alright Kaoru.”
 
“No it's not! If I die, Haruhi can't take my side of the bed anymore because…”
 
“Don't speak of such things! We're going to live together and die together! And even though tono bribed Kyouya-sempai into having Haruhi-kun protected, I'm sure it won't last long.” By now the room was packed with girls who were hastily called by their friends and friends-of-friends to come quickly. One girl, completely dissolved in tears, mustered up the bravery to approach Kyouya.
 
“Um… Kyouya-sempai? I understand that you have Haruhi-kun's best interests at heart, but please, you can't separate him from Hikaru and Kaoru. They aren't complete anymore without him! I'll… I'll even buy a hundred copies of whatever is coming out next! And I'll pay five times the price for them!”
 
“Me too! I'll take fifty copies at six times the price!”
 
“Twenty at ten times the price!”
 
“Let Haruhi-kun go back to the warmth of the Hitachiin twins and I'll buy whatever you have left in stock right now!”
 
One girl, determination set in her face, slammed her hand down on the table beside his computer. “Five hundred copies at thirty times the price.”
 
Girls clamored their offers and the twins shared a secret smirk as Kyouya crumbled.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
 
“Sorry I'm late! I had to WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!?” An exasperated Haruhi sat sandwiched between sobbing twins as they held her closely. Hundreds of girls shrieked in glee when Hikaru leaned his head against Haruhi's and Kaoru snuggled up against her neck.
 
Tamaki's mouth dropped open. “But… the security…my plan… Kyouya… Mommy! What have you done?!?”
 
Kyouya's eyes never left the increasing figures on his screen. “Sorry Tamaki.”
 
“But… we had a deal…”
 
“I never said I'd only co-operate with you. And the Hitachiin brothers had a more convincing argument. Oh, and I sold all those replicas of your teddy bear that we had left over. And all our merchandise for the next two months is pre-ordered and paid for. I'm going to have to order five times the number products.”
 
“Kyouya… you traitor. Alright, I'll have to put phase two into operation!”