Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Moving on in Life ❯ Phone call ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Okay, I don't own anything of Ouran High School Host Club. I wish I did, but frankly, I'm not that creative to have thought up such a good manga. Please don't sue me. ^^;;
 
--
 
Kyouya
 
I had tried to avoid them, all of them, after I finally left. I had seen how in love Tamaki and the twins were with her, and I knew that I could not compete for her heart. I could see the affection twinkling in her bored eyes as Tamaki embraced her or as the twins teased her. I could even sense how much she cared about Hunny and Mori by her subtle actions. Everything I observed I noted down. I wonder if they had ever noticed that I never let anyone look into what I wrote in my notebook. Sure, there were official transactions and data in it, but there was also a section devoted entirely to the things I did not want to forget, and most of those things were about Fujioka Haruhi.
 
I don't think I was physically attracted to her at first. She dressed as a boy, and sure she was a rather cute boy, but I was pretty sure I wasn't gay. But I believe it was the little actions that she did, like her expressions and especially her smile. She had a knack for being completely honest that made me trust her, and a total innocence that made me covet her. Before I knew it, I had fallen in love with her. And that meant putting distance between us. I couldn't afford any distractions in my quest to be the best son. And besides, even though Tamaki was a bit of an idiot, he was still the best friend I had ever had. And best friends don't steal the other's girl. So, although I'm not proud of the fact, I ran away as soon as I graduated.
 
Speaking of which, I received a letter from Tamaki a little while ago. He was his usual effervescent self, but he alluded to the fact that he was about to propose to a girl that he loved and his father thought very highly of. Of course he had to mean Haruhi. My father had told me about his disagreement over who Haruhi should marry after our school festival. Personally, I would have been overjoyed to marry her, but I would never make her choose me if she truly wanted someone else. Tamaki told me it was going to be a surprise so I couldn't breathe a word to anyone. Although it broke my heart reading it, I had to smile. Tamaki would try his best to make any woman happy, and if Haruhi accepted, I was sure she would be no exception. I was careful not to let anyone see me as I cried. It wouldn't do to undermine my authority.
 
I wonder if I would be able to stand being at Tamaki's wedding. Knowing the idiot, he probably would make me best man and make me stare at Haruhi's face as she smiled at him, never knowing how much it hurt me. No, Tamaki was an idiot about many things, especially his “forte”: love.
 
I opened my desk and fingered Tamaki's letter. It'd been about a week since I had received it. I wonder if he proposed yet. I was still pondering this fact when a maid entered the room and announced, “Mister Ootori, there is a telephone call from you.” I looked up, raising my eyebrow in inquiry at her. She had been with me for awhile and new my nuances, so she smiled and said, “It's a lady; a Miss Fujioka Haruhi.”
 
I must have looked shocked because my maid's smile just widened even further as she handed me the handset. She left still smiling.
 
I hesitantly put the handset to my ear and said calmly, “Hello, this is Kyouya speaking.”
 
I heard her intake a breath (was she afraid I wasn't going to speak to her?) and then her voice instantly became cheerful. “Kyouya! Um, how have you been doing?”
 
“I'm just busy, as usual. And you?” I mentally smacked myself. How impersonal could I be? But then I remembered, this woman was now probably engaged to Tamaki. My heart fell unexpectedly.
 
“Oh you know, this and that.”
 
What was that supposed to mean? Had she been lawyering? Shopping for wedding dresses? Did she sound nervous? But all I could manage was, “Oh.” I could almost hear her disappointment in the inadequacy of my answer. I mentally smacked myself again.
 
“So… anyway, Kyouya I was wondering if you'd like to go do something, you know, for old time's sake and everything. Anything would be fine.”
 
I must say, I feel rather pathetic to admit that my heart really did stop when she said those words. A date with Haruhi. Then I remembered: Tamaki. So maybe it was that she wanted to see all her friends before she got married. So you're a good enough friend that she wants to see you right? Shut up. I'm always busy; I don't have time. But you don't have to worry about getting the business anymore. You already own it. The owner can take time off. But still, it could turn into a bad situation. You know you want to. I can't. I shouldn't. “I -.”
 
“Oh please don't say no.” She knows my mindset too well if she anticipated that. “I haven't seen you in awhile and well...” I could've sworn I heard her take a gulp here. “I miss you.”
 
I must be dreaming. Pinch myself, yeah that should do it. Ouch that hurt! Oh, I'm awake. Wait, did I just hear what I thought I heard? I quickly schooled my voice. I couldn't afford to slip up. This was Tamaki's fiancé. I must be civil. Maybe it's a group event. I did lose contact with a lot of them. They might be holding something and it just happened to fall upon her to call me. Of course, how silly of me. I schooled my voice, “so who else is invited to this outing?”
 
A slight pause. “Oh, I hadn't thought of bringing anyone else.” What? “But if there's anyone you would like to bring that would be all right.” Anyone else I would bring? Not a chance. “Like perhaps your girlfriend or something?” Why did she sound a little hurt?
 
“No girlfriend,” I automatically answered. “But that shouldn't stop you from bringing Tamaki or whoever else.”
 
“Oh, Tamaki is still in Europe. He's touring right now. He's become an international star, you know.” Yes, I know. I received letters from Tamaki still. I used to receive letters from all of them, but I felt it was too painful to write back, so they had dwindled, but Tamaki was stubbornly refusing that his “best friend” would not like receiving letters. He's right, even if nobody agrees with him. His letters make me smile, and think of times gone by and of life other than work. They also, however, make me feel like crying when I read about Haruhi and the others. I guess there is no win-win situation.
 
“Oh, speaking of him, has he asked yet?” I suppose this was an innocent question. I truly wanted to know the answer, because even though my brain said there was no hope with Haruhi, as long as she had not said yes to marrying anyone, my heart still held out.
 
“Ask? Oh he's going to propose? That's wonderful! It's been a long time coming.” She sounded so delighted. Each word was slicing up my heart into battered little strips. I tried to find an appropriate way to answer her, but my throat was stuck so all I could manage was an affirmative grunt.
 
“So we must go out, then. Please Kyouya?” She was pleading with me. Oh god, I could just see her huge brown eyes looking the way Hunny's did whenever he tried to wheedle more budget for cakes out of me in the club.
 
“Okay,” came my reply. You try to say no to that image. It's not possible damnit.
 
“Great! So, let's see…” As she made plans aloud, I berated myself. Why should I put myself through so much pain? She obviously chose Tamaki already. The only woman I had ever fallen in love with was going to marry my best friend. I should try to be happy. Being happy certainly did not include torturing myself. But seeing her would make you happy. You know that you've been secretly wanting this. Shut up. It's not right. Yeah, but don't you want a chance to tell her how you feel? No, of course not. That would ruin her entire relationship with Tamaki. I couldn't do that to him, even if he is an idiot.
 
“You got that Kyouya?” Oh she was done talking. I answered in the affirmative. I had been taking notes of everything she said. “All right I'll see you then. Bye.”
 
“Bye.” I heard the click and sighed.
 
Masochist. Romantic. Lame. She likes lame doesn't she? Shut up.
 
I really hate that voice in my head.
 
 
--
 
A/N: Sorry Kyouya's kinda OOC, but yeaah. Review please if you get a chance. Thanks.