Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ New Home, New Brother ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Let's see, am I Japanese woman? No? Then I'm not Bisco Hatori. If asked to take this fic down I will do so as soon as possible.
 
Chapter 2
 
“Come in,” Kyoya said as he sat at the desk in his room when he heard his father knock. His father opened the door but did not enter right away.
 
“Haruhi, I'd like you to come here,” his father called.
 
`That must be the name of the girl who's to live with us,' he thought. For the first time in quite a while Kyoya had been unaware of everything that was going on. His father had mentioned briefly in the morning that he was going to bring his friend's daughter to live with them for some time. Normally he would have found out something about the new arrival before she got here, but since his father did not mention a name or anything he could use he had nothing.
 
“I'd like you to meet my son Kyoya. I hope that you both get along as long as you stay with us.”
 
Kyoya turned to face Haruhi from his seat, noticing as her breath caught for a second when she looked at him. `I suppose now is as good a time as ever to find out if she is like the others.' He stood up, swallowed some of his pride and some of his dignity, and put on the best smile he could. “It is a pleasure to have you here Haruhi. I hope that you find everything to your liking,” he said as he took her hand in his. It should have followed the normal routine with most of the girls his age. The blush will slowly appear on their face, a stutter will appear in their speech, and they will be reduced to the mental state of an eight year old. However that was not the case. Instead silence filled the room, his father with a confused and slightly horrified look on his face and Haruhi completely dumbfounded as to what to make of this.
 
“T-t-thank you very much for the warm greeting Mr. Ohtori,” she said. `Is this guy for real?'
 
“Ah Haruhi, would you mind waiting outside for a minute? My son is horribly awkward around women,” he said laughing nervously
 
`No kidding,' she thought as she walked outside the room.
 
 
“Would you care to tell me just what that was? Because honestly I have no idea,' Hazuo said as he closed the door.
 
“I was simply seeing if she was like most of the others I've met. If she's going to be here for an extended period of time I wanted to know what I'd be dealing with.”
 
“I suppose that asking me about her never crossed your mind did it?”
 
“It is considered ill-mannered to ask your father if the daughter of a friend loses control in the presence of a good looking man when she is in the room.”
 
Hazuo sighed and his hand came up to cover his eyes. “Well I hope that you're curiosity has been satisfied Kyoya. I trust that you will treat her with a little more respect than you just showed, right?”
 
“Of course father.”
 
A moment of silenced passed before his father spoke up once more. “Just where did that little display come from Kyoya?”
 
“You remember how you wanted me to get to know Mr. Suoh's son when he came over from Europe a few months ago? He has a gift for such displays, although much more…expressive than the one I gave.”
 
“Well for my sake at least, please refrain from doing that again. I don't know if I could take it. Now if you don't mind, please give Haruhi a proper introduction. I can only guess what she thinks of you after that.”
 
Hazuo opened the door back up and saw that Haruhi was no longer in the hallway. “You should be able to find Haruhi near the front of the house. Oh and before you go let me discuss some things with you.”
 
 
Haruhi was sitting in what she believed to be a reception area for guests not far from the entrance. She had not heard much of Hazuo's discussion with Kyoya, but she felt it was a matter between the two of them. She didn't want to risk offending them by thinking she was eavesdropping. It wouldn't be difficult for them to find her once they were done talking.
 
“So here you are,” Kyoya said as he looked into the room.
 
`Oh great,' she thought remembering the display that had happened several moments before.
 
“I would like to apologize for my actions earlier. I have found many women my age to be easily overcome men and wanted to see if you were like them. I am glad that you are not.”
 
“What would you do if I was?” Haruhi asked.
 
“I would avoid you like a disease except when I couldn't avoid it,” he said almost as soon as she finished her question.
 
Haruhi was taken aback some as the brazenness of the reply. When Kyoya noticed her reaction he continued. “I have no real desire to deal with women who let their emotions overflow at the slightest stimulation. Unless there is a reason for me to do so I would much rather deal with those who can control themselves. But enough about that, my father told me that you will be attending Ouran with me. Are you planning to try for the high school after you finish?”
 
“I'm not really sure yet, I still have three years left before that,” She said.
 
“I would highly recommend that you at least try. It is one of the best schools that you could hope to go to, though their requirements for entry are stricter than the ones for the primary school. Even though you will be living with us, they most likely would require you to take a test in order to see if you will be allowed to attend the school. If you decide to try, I would be happy to help you prepare for it.”
 
“Thank you very much Mr. Ohtori. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.” She said smiling.
 
“Please call me Kyoya. I'd like for us to have some level of familiarity between us. Since you will be almost a member of our family, you can think of me as your older brother.”
 
“Thank you very much Kyoya,” Haruhi said as she got up to head back to her room. `A little weird, but definitely better than earlier,' she thought
 
`She is definitely an interesting one,' Kyoya mused to himself as she walked away. `Very interesting.'
 
AN: This chapter was kind of hard to write as in the manga most of Kyoya's interactions is with the group as a whole and not a whole lot with Haruhi one-on-one except for the scene in volume 3 (which is being used for a different purpose as another one-shot) so I tried to keep as in character I could. Kyoya is a very difficult character to read at times so I hope that I did a decent job at writing him. Since this is AU some of the characters will act differently, but I will strive to remain as faithful as I can. As one reviewer pointed out Ouran runs from at least elementary school all the way to high school, though it seems that the high school is not mandatory since Haruhi managed to get in. If there is anything you feel needs to be fixed feel free to let me know and I'll work on right away.
 
Now onto those of you who reviewed. Thank you so much. Checking my e-mail today and finding 10 review alerts for my stories is what got this chapter written. You made me want to get this done so you can enjoy it and I hope you do. If any of you want to talk to me on AIM I go by the name merc2k9. I'd be glad to talk to you and maybe bounce an idea or two off some of you. I like talking to people who read my stories and the pm system here is a bit slow.
 
PS. If you are an Eva fan, watch for a fic co-written by me and my personal friend Kraven Ergeist. Still brainstorming, but this one should be big.