Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ New Home, New Brother ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Ouran High School Host Club is the property of Bisco Hatori. If asked to remove this I will comply as soon as possible.
 
“Ryoji, are you sure this is what you want to do? It's not a decision to be taken lightly. Maybe you should think this over more,” the voice on the other end of the phone said.
 
“I've thought about this as long as I care to. I can't take it any more. It's for the best,” Ryoji Fujioka said as he slumped into the chair in the kitchen. His daughter Haruhi slept soundly nearby, unaware of the crisis that faced her father right now.
 
“Have you even talked to her about this? You can't do this without speaking to her Ryouji. She lost her mother already. How do you think she'd feel about losing her father?”
 
“I can't be a father to her anymore. People are talking. I don't want her to have to deal with this. You can do better for her than I can,” he pleaded with his old friend.
 
“I don't really feel like helping a friend take the coward's way out Ryoji. You knew how some people would react to your lifestyle and you knew that Haruhi would find out eventually. Do you honestly think she would care? Do you think that little of your daughter?” he said with anger evident in his voice.
 
“I didn't call you for a lecture Hazuo, I wanted your help. Please, just for a little while. Help me,” he begged.
 
Hazuo was silent for a moment, hating to hear the helplessness in his friend's voice. “Alright Ryoji, have it your way. We'll come by in the morning.”
 
Ryoji put the phone down as soon as he heard the click on the other end and breathed a sigh of relief. He got up and walked into his daughter's room, sitting on the floor by her bed as she slept. “I know you're not going to like what I'm going to do Haruhi, but I can't think of anything else to do. I have no regrets for who I am, but I don't want anyone to give you problems because of it. I love you.” He kissed her forehead and headed to his room, waiting for sleep to come.
 
 
Though the residents of the neighborhood weren't abjectly poor, they couldn't help but stare at the car pulling in. It was the kind that most of them only dreamt of being able to afford. They were all the more confused when they saw it park at the apartment complex nearby and the people inside entered the apartment of the Fujiokas.
 
 
“Thank you for coming Hazuo. Haruhi is almost ready,” Ryoji said as he pulled a seat out for him. “You don't know how much this means to me.”
 
“So what did you tell Haruhi? Anything I need to remember when talking to her about this situation?” Hazuo asked him as he sat down. While he didn't agree with doing this, he wanted to keep Haruhi's discomfort as low as possible.
 
“I just told her that a friend of mine was going to take care of her while I go away for a job. I think she knows something's up, but she seemed to accept it. Did you hear anything from the school?”
 
“Her grades were good enough for them to accept her with my recommendation. Are there any plans you had for school down the road?”
 
“We haven't really discussed anything yet. I just figured we'd go with what we could get,” Ryoji said somewhat dejected. He was thinking about what he would miss without her. `No, don't have second thoughts now. You've got to do this,' he thought
 
“Well, if you have no objections, I could see if I could get her into the school my son is planning to attend. She'd have to test in, but I'm sure if he tutored her it should be no problem.” He turned when he heard the door open behind them. A young girl with shoulder length black hair and large eyes stood there with two cases of luggage at her side.
 
“Ah Haruhi, you're finished packing. This is Hazuo Ohtori, a friend from a while back. He's the one you're going to stay with while I'm gone, so be on your best behavior alright?” her father said as he picked up her bags to take them outside.
 
Haruhi looked up Hazuo, as though she were appraising the dark haired man in front of her before following her father out the door.
 
“This could be difficult,” Hazuo said to himself before heading outside.
 
 
“So how do you know my dad?” Haruhi asked as they were riding back to his home.
 
“We were friends when we were younger. I saw him walking along the path I took back from my school and started talking to him. We got along quite well. Unfortunately he wasn't really motivated to do much with is life so he never went to high school but we stayed in touch.”
 
Haruhi stared at him for a few moments before speaking again. “What's the real reason I'm going with you?”
 
“I suppose what your father told you isn't going to suffice, is it?” He asked. She looked him dead in the eyes until he finally continued. “Your father is having some personal issues that he thinks will come back to hurt you. I thought he was being a bit rash with his decision, but I couldn't refuse him. I'm sure it won't be long until things are back to normal.”
 
Haruhi turned her gaze to the window, remaining silent for the rest of the ride.
 
 
Haruhi could barely believe her eyes, although she didn't let it show. She'd never imagined staying at a place like this, much less actually seeing one. The land surrounding the house was at least twice the size of any park she'd been to, and the house itself was much bigger than the apartment complex at which she had lived. She followed Hazuo as he led her through the hallways.
 
“This is where you'll be staying Haruhi,” he said as he opened the door to a nearby room. She walked inside it, setting her things down near the bed, amazed that it was bigger than the apartment she had lived in. As she was looking around she heard Hazuo knock on a door outside.
 
“Come in,” she heard someone say.
 
“Haruhi, I'd like you to come here,” Hazuo called. Haruhi entered the room a little hesitantly, not wanting to offend whoever was in there. Her breath caught for a second as she saw a very handsome, dark haired boy sitting at a desk in the room.
 
“I'd like to meet my son Kyoya. I hope you two get along as long as you stay here.”
 
AN: I hope to carry this one on for several chapters. I was inspired by the picture in the third volume of the manga where it had a long haired Haruhi in a schoolgirl uniform clinging to Kyoya, with one of the little notes saying it looked like the forbidden love between a brother and a sister, so I decided to make this fic where they are family in a sense. I know that Haruhi's dad was out of character, but I needed something to get Haruhi to live with Kyoya. I'm kid of picturing him keeping his bisexual nature under wraps as much as he can before this event happened, and it's just getting hard to keep people from knowing. If there are any improvements that can be made please let me know and if any of you are interested in pre-reading I would be very grateful. In terms of age, I want it to be Haruhi-13 and Kyoya-14. I think they said that Hunny was 18 somewhere in the manga so a first year in Ouran would be 16. If I'm wrong let me know, but it will probably stay that way for the story. I suck at writing young children. Well, I hope to get another chapter out in a few weeks. Thank you for reading and please leave a review.