Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Ouran High School Host Club: The Lyrical Beauty ❯ Chapter 2: Kyouya Digs too Deep ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: Kyouya Digs too Deep.
NOTE: This is the first time that we're seeing Hikari act as Hiroki. When the host club is open, Hikari literally becomes Hiroki (she becomes he etc). But when the club is closed, everything is back to normal.
“Don't pick me up till after six o'clock,” Hikari said, “My club doesn't end until then.”
“Alright,” Natasha replied, “Is there anything you're doing in particular today?” She giggled.
“I've told you this last week, Natasha,” Hikari repeated. Haruhi entered the back room with Hikari's boy uniform. “Ok…uh-huh…I know…NO!!!...bye.” Haruhi smiled.
“So she's on your tail as well?” she asked. Hikari let out a sigh.
“Natasha wants to know which member I'm going to get with.” She grabbed her stuff and began to change.
“Natasha wants to look out for you. That's all.” Haruhi folded Hikari's dress that she threw outside the curtain.
“I know,” she replied, “but I don't want her to get any ideas. I'm doing many things behind their backs. So if they find out about this-”
“I know,” Haruhi finished sympathetically. “Don't worry though. Kyouya-sempai will be able to protect your secret.”
“I still don't know why I'm even doing this,” Hikari added. Haruhi looked around the room.
“Honestly,” she said, “We're low on business. We need to bring in more money.” Hikari drew back the curtains. She was wearing her guy uniform, but didn't put her hair up yet.
“You guys take money from innocent girls?” She asked. Haruhi nodded.
“I was upset too, when I first found out.” Hikari put her hair up. “Ready…Hiroki?” Haruhi asked. Hikari focused.
“Yea,” she said in a deep voice.
{The Host Club is now open}
Hiroki walked over to his table. It was full of three girls who were eager to see their host. As they saw him walking, they all blushed.
“Hiroki-kun,” they said with a sigh. Hiroki smiled gentle and bowed.
“A pleasure as always ladies,” he said. His voice carried the girl's hearts away. “What brings such lovely creature to this table?” the giggled.
“Umm…” one of them stuttered, “I-I read your story…It was…It was…” Hiroki lifted her chin so that she could look into his dark, mystical eyes.
“Was it to your liking?” He breathed. He thought that this girl had forgotten how to breathe. “You're beginning to look as red as a sunset, my dear,” he said in amusement, “Is there anything I can get for you?”
“Hiroki-kun?” the seconded one asked. He stood up and sat down next to her. “Can you write another story?” Hiroki took a pencil and notebook that was on his table and opened it.
“What you want me to write about?” he asked. The girl thought for a while and then decided.
“I want to be a mermaid princess and for you to come and rescue me from the evil witch that has imprisoned me in her palace.” Hiroki wrote it down and laughed. All three leaned in close to each other.
“You girls are too cute,” he said, “Your wish will be granted. I'll write it for you as soon as I can.”
“Can you write a story about me being a fairy queen?” And the questions continued to pour over Hiroki. He accepted all three different proposals and made them feel giddy in the end. Once the girls had left, he helped Haruhi bring out coffees and cakes.
“Hey, Hiroki?” a twin had asked from behind.
“What is it, Hikaru?” Hikaru looked a little shocked, but shook it off.
“I want to try and talk to you later. Can we?” Hiroki placed his hands behind his head.
“We'll see,” he said and walked around to help with the club.
{Host Club is now closed}
“Good work, Hikari,” Kyouya said, “I'm thinking that maybe we should sell your stories at a good price.”
“My stories for the girls are not for sale,” Hikari said pulling her hair down. “I give my words out for free.” I can't even do that in that house I'm living in, she thought to herself. Haruhi seemed to have read her mind.
“Kyouya-sempai, what's the next cosplay?” she asked. Tamaki appeared behind her with sparkles around him.
“We're having a new type of scenery.” He flung his arms out, “A scenery that's from the tropical islands from.” He claps his hands “Hawaii!” Silence filled the room.
“Why Hawaii?” Haruhi asked.
“Because,” Hikaru said, “the lord wants to see his precious girl in a bikini.” Tamaki arose from his shock and began to strangle Hikaru.
“Lord,” Kaoru said, “Why Hawaii? Isn't that similar to the Bali theme last year?” While Tamaki explained to Kaoru the difference between the two, Hikari looked at Hikaru and Kaoru. She grabbed her notebook and started to write furiously.
“So you can tell them apart?” Haruhi asked over her shoulder.
“Yeah. At first I couldn't, but then I saw the way Hikaru looked at Kaoru during their…” she tried to find a word for what they did. “…'brotherly love' act and noticed that Hikaru has a stronger sense of protection in his eyes. It's as if he's saying that no one has to protect him from any harm. But Kaoru, on the other hand, has a more sensitive side to him. He understands things better than Hikaru.”
“Wow. You can tell all that from one look?” Haruhi asked. Hikari smiled.
“Yep.”
“That's a good sign because usually they'll want to play this game when-” but Hikari was taken away to the other side of the room.
“Hikari,” the twins said together, “Let's play a game.” Hikari shrugged.
“What is it?” she asked.
“It's the `Which one is Hikaru-kun game'. You have to figure out which one is which twin.”
“Don't force her into this game,” Haruhi preached, “She already-” but they placed their hats on their head and began to switch around the room.
“I tried to stop them,” Haruhi added.
“It's okay,” Hikari said, “Besides, now I can show Hikaru that I'm more than I appear.” Haruhi didn't understand what she meant by that and sighed. Once the twins were done switching, Hikari looked into their eyes. She was able to distinguish the different meaning that was beyond their eyes. She wandered behind one and whispered, “You're Hikaru.” And spun around the other and pointed. “You're Kaoru.” The twins didn't react at first.
“Come on guys,” she said, “It's not a totally shocker that I figured that out.” Kaoru took off his hat and began to laugh.
“Yea, I guess we should stop playing that game with people who had just joined our club.” Hikaru slowly took off his hat. Hikari felt his hot glare going down her back. She swallowed hard. I've got a feeling that I'm gonna know more about Hikaru than I already know now.
“Hiri-chan, are you excited about the Hawaiian theme this week?” Honey asked. Hikari thought for a bit.
“I dunno,” she said, “I couldn't wear anything that's Hawaiian because then people would know that Hiroki doesn't exist.” Suddenly, a motor sound began to fill the room. The ground began to shake laughter filled the room.
“~OHOHOHOHOHO~” it screamed. Hikari covered her ears. Haruhi came up from behind and tied her hair back.
“Be Hiroki,” she whispered. Hikari nodded and changed characters.
“A Hawaiian themed cosplay? How romantic,” said a girl on a spinning platform. “The girls should come in swimsuits and the boys as Hawaiian surfers.” She gasped. “How terribly romantic! It's MOE!!!!” Hikari leaned into Haruhi.
“Who's she?” she asked.
“That's Renge-kun, the host club manager,” Kyouya said. Regne turned to Kyouya and saw Hikari standing next to him.
“Who're you?” She asked. Hikari took a deep breath a bowed.
“Excuse me for not properly introducing myself,” she said in her Hiroki voice, “I'm Hiroki. Pleased to meet you.” Renge took out a pair of opera binoculars.
“OO” she squealed, “You look a bit like Haruhi-kun.” She put them away. “I defiantly hope to see you two working together in the near future. That would be perfect.” And she descended into the ground. Hikari didn't know what to say to what she just saw. Haruhi tapped her shoulder as if reading her thoughts.
“Haruhi,” Tamaki said, “Will you be wear this lovely bathing suit and-?” Haruhi didn't let him finish. She instead pulled Tamaki to a corner of the room and spoke to him in private. Hikari took her hair down and went into the back room to change.
Once she had finished changing, she looked at her necklace again. “Dad,” she said aloud, “Your talent is saving my butt over here. I hope that you're watching me perform.”
“Why don't you tell him yourself,” said a male voice. Hikari pulled back the curtain and saw Hikaru closing the door behind him.
“It's nothing,” Hikari said. Hikaru looked frustrated and annoyed. “Are you okay?” she asked.
“How can you tell us apart?” he mumbled.
“What?”
“HOW CAN YOU TELL US APART DAMMIT!” he screamed. Hikari jumped back by the sudden volume in his voice. He clenched his fists. “You barely know us and you can suddenly tell us apart. The only person that can tell us apart is Haruhi. Slowly, people are remembering that I'm Hikaru instead of confusing me. YOU'RE TAKING AWAY MY FUN!” he grabbed Hikari by the shoulders and slammed her into the wall and stared at the floor. Hikari felt a little bit of fear running through her veins.
“How?” He asked calming down. Hikari waited until his hands would loosen their grip on her shoulders. “How can you tell us apart?” he asked again. “Even before you knew us…you whispered my name.”
“You're eyes,” she said in a soft voice. “You and Kaoru have different meanings behind your eyes. Kaoru is more sensible, responsible, caring person. Your eyes said something different.” Hikaru looked up at her. She saw into his eyes and said what she saw.
“You're eyes…needs to protect someone. Kaoru particularly,” she said, “But there's something more that you want. Not only do you want to protect your brother, but someone else. Unfortunately, you know that she's with someone else.” Hikaru placed his forehead on hers.
“…'someone else'…huh?” he released her from her corner and left the room. Hikari didn't move. The only sound that could be heard was the beating of her heart in her ears. Once she was able to stand, she wobbled out of the room. Her head was spinning in confusion when she crashed into Mori-sempai, who was carrying tea for Honey and himself. He dropped the tray and the tea set broke along with it.
“I'm so sorry, Mori-sempai,” she said, “Are you alright?” He nodded.
“You're unfortunately not alright,” Kyouya said from behind, “That tea set was ¥500,000,000. But I'm sure you could ask your father to help you.”
“Huh?” Hikari throat began to tighten. Kyouya opened his book.
“Niwazaki Yuuji and his wife Niwazaki Kira: Business partners that have recently been buying out small stores and creating one large shopping center. The father handles the marketing while the mother distributes and organizes the stores into their own liking. Their goal is for Hikari to become accomplished so as to help them bring high school kids into their working force.” He slaps his book shut. “And they despise writing.” Hikari didn't know what to do. She bit her lower lip to hold her tongue.
“You're father can pay for this, but then I'd have tell him you're doing exactly what he's against. I don't think that he or your mother would approve of you doing something like this?”
“Kyouya,” Haruhi warned, “Stop it.” But Kyouya went on. “Is Hikari paying you to defend her, Haruhi?” Hikari lost it.
“What do you know,” she said, “What do you know about me?” He placed an evil smile on his face.
“I have my sources,” he replied.
“Then your sources are wrong,” Hikari screamed. The Host members became frightened.
“Kyou-chan, I think you should stop,” Honey suggested.
“And how do you know that my sources are wrong?” He asked in a calm, cold tone.
“Because only a few people know the truth.”
“Oh really?”
“Kyouya,” Tamaki said, “Just leave it. She's obviously uncomfortable-”
“And what is the truth then? If you know?” Hikari hesitated. “Exactly, because there isn't anything-” Hikari felt Natasha's words of wisdom creep into her head. She came right up to Kyouya, raised her hand, and slapped him across the face.
“I was told that when a man starts to get personal and you don't like it, you slap them.” Kyouya held his check. He didn't seem angry at all. His eyes had widened as if he had seen a monster.
“There's only one other girl that was able to slap me,” he said putting on his glasses, “And she said the same thing.” He got up and wiped his clothes.
“I'm not surprised,” Hikari said, “and FYI: I'm adopted. My real name is Hoshiyama Hikari. And my real, loving parents died trying to save me.” Everyone but Haruhi froze. “They tried to save me and I was adopted by the stupid Niwazaki family. My real father was an actor and playwright, my mother was a reporter, and her best friend, Natasha, is supposed to be my guardian. But the Niwazaki family is trying to keep her away from me and now she has to disguise herself to be with me. I'm forbidden to fulfill my dream anywhere now that my family is gone and one of them is trying to survive there by acting like a man.” Everything fell silent. Hikari was panting and walked towards the window.
“I'll do anything to write. I want to show my parents in heaven that their lives weren't taken in vain. If you still want to tell those people, fine, but then you'll never see my face anywhere again.” Hikari put her hair up and headed towards the door.
“Bye, Haruhi. I'll call you later.” And she left.
[Inside the host club]
“How could you be so careless?” Haruhi yelled. Kyouya wandered to the window. “You think you know everything but you don't.”
“Haruhi,” Tamaki gently grabbed her shoulders, “Just leave it.”
“How can I just leave it when Kyouya made Hikari dig into her past too deeply?” Haruhi broke away from him and started to pack her things.
“Poor Hiri-chan,” Honey said.
“Mhmm,” Mori added.
“I wouldn't have guessed,” Kaoru said. “She seems so normal and composed. It's hard to believe that she has suffered at all in her life.” He turned to Hikaru and noticed that he hasn't said anything yet. He was leaning against the table with his hands in his pockets.
“She didn't take any of her things,” Haruhi mentioned aloud, “I guess I'll take them to her house.” She walked towards the back room, but Hikaru stopped her.
“Don't worry about it, Haruhi,” he said, “You've got to study and keep your grades up.” Haruhi tilted her head back.
“I promise,” he said, “I won't forget.”
“Fine,” she finally said. She grabbed her things and began to leave.
“Haruhi, I'll take you home,” Tamaki said.
“If you take me home again, Dad's going to kill you.” Tamaki seemed offended.
“But since we're together, he should get to know his son-in-law,” Haruhi blushed.
“I'm not marrying you.”
“Yet,” Tamaki added. Haruhi didn't fight it. Instead she said, “Fine, but only half way.” Tamaki was pleased to hear this and quickly followed Haruhi to the door. They were about to leave when Kyouya's voice stopped them.
“Orihara Natasha…I haven't heard that name…for such a long time…”
“Kyouya,” Tamaki said sympathetically.
Hikari let the hot water relax her muscles. So much happened today, she thought. I promised them that I wouldn't say anything. Kyouya would probably tell them and then I'm not gonna be able to stay at that school. She began to play with her necklace.
Mom, Dad, This past week has been weird, but it's been different than from the other schools I've been to. And I think that Haruhi is an amazing person and I want to know her better. And… She sank into the water. …I wanna know more about the host club. Especially… A knock came from her balcony door. Hikari shot straight up and looked at the clock. 9:30. It must be a squirrel or something. The knocking continued.
“Oh my god,” She mumbled in frustration. She grabbed a towel and dried herself, put on a night gown and slippers, and began to brush her hair while walking to the door.
“I'm gonna seriously try and-” Hikari stopped dead in her tracks. The knocking wasn't a squirrel, but someone else. Even in the dark, she could see his auburn hair and golden eyes shine in the night.
“Hikaru?” She said opening the doors, “How did you get up here?” He didn't say anything. He just stared at her. “Hello?” she said again.
“Is that what you wear to bed?” He finally asked. Hikari blushed.
“Well sorry that I try to wear something comfortable to bed,” She said in a shaky voice.
“That's okay. I sleep without a shirt. Sometimes without anything, really,” He added entering her room.
“I didn't need to know that,” She said squeezing the bridge of her nose together to prevent a headache.
Hikaru looked around her room. It was white with a king size bed in the center. Her white bureau was to the left with nothing but school books and a desk light. Her bathroom, on the right, had the lights on, which (apparently) invited Hikaru to walk in. Hikari ran in front of him and slammed the door.
“Boys aren't allowed in,” she said.
“Why?” Are you hiding something?”
“Yes. It's called `my privacy'. Why are you here anyway?”
“To drop this off.” He handed her school bag and her and her girl uniform. “You left it in the club room when you left.”
“Oh,” Hikari said feeling a little stupid. “Thank you.” Hikaru placed the stuff on her bed and looked around the room.
“Not much here,” he commented.
“And I'd like to keep it that way,” Hikari countered. Hikaru chuckled.
“This room…has no life,” he added
“I know that.”
“You don't want to decorate it?”
“Why would I want to?”
“It's your room,” Hikaru pointed out, “Jazz it up a little.”
“It's not my room,” Hikari added. “Can you leave?” Hikaru came over to her and lifted her chin. She saw that he was trying to look through her eyes to see what she was thinking, or what she was hiding.
“I'm sorry about your family,” He said, almost as a whisper. “I admire your…bravery.” He glided his smooth fingers around her neck and traced the butterfly necklace that rested on her bare skin. She felt goosebumps rising in her skin and the fine hairs standing on the back of her neck. He smirked.
“You worry about protecting me, but who's going to protect you?” Hikari felt her body heat up. Hikaru moved his hand onto her shoulder and bent down. She felt his warm lips touching her skin along with the necklace. He looked up at her with a triumphant smile. Her mind became cloudy and she felt her body beginning to feel a little weak, just like it had in the music room.
“I'll see you tomorrow,” he said and began to leave.
“Wait,” she said. He turned around. She suddenly realized that she spoke without even thinking. “Oh, n-nothing. See you tomorrow.” Hikaru smiled and disappeared into the night. Hikari closed the door.
“WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT FOR!?” she screamed.
“NO WAY!” Natasha screamed. Hikari almost dropped her coffee.
“Yeah. He came up into my room through the balcony, dropped off my stuff, and… kissed my necklace.” She blushed as she remembered what happened the night before.
“I think Hikaru's got a thing for you.”
“I don't think so,” Hikari said. Natasha laughed.
“Hikari, would he kiss your necklace if he didn't like you?” Hikari didn't answer.
“But he does that to trick people. He's probably not serious.”
“Are you?” she asked. Hikari's face turned completely red.
“NO NO NO NO NO!” she screamed. Natasha sighed. “Can we change the topic?” she asked. Natasha nodded.
“You seemed really upset yesterday when you got in the car,” she pointed out, “Did something else happen?” Hikari took a sip of her coffee.
“Yeah,” she took a bit of her muffin, “One of them, the `vice president' of the club, thought that he knew everything about me and `my family'. And when he began to think of me being as low as this family, I lost it.”
“How did you lose it?”
“I began to tell him about mom and dad…and you too.” Natasha gasped.
“But what if he tells them?” she asked.
“I dunno. I'm gonna talk to Haruhi and see If she knows a way to get out of this.”
“Maybe you should also ask Haruhi if she can give you Hikaru tips, since she is in his class and is in the grade above you,” she added.
“Change of topic for 500 please,” Hikari emphasized.
“Alright, alright. So who's this guy that made you speak about your past?”
“His name is Ootori Kyouya. I swear, that guy's got issues.” Natasha fell silent. She continued to drive, but didn't look in the rear-view mirror.
“Natasha?” she asked. Natasha snapped out of her thought and smiled.
“Oh, sorry,” she said, “So did you do anything else to Kyouya?” she asked.
“Yeah. I slapped him, like you always tell me to do if I guy got too personal and you don't want him there.” Natasha laughed again, but it was different. Hikari knew that that laugh was forced out to try and brush over the topic.
“That's my girl. I bet he looked really shocked.”
“He did,” Hikari said with concern in her voice. “Natasha, did I say something wrong?” Natasha stopped laughing and looked at Hikari. She opened her mouth as if she were going to speak, but quickly shut it and began to think again.
“I'll tell you that story some other time,” she said. For the rest of the trip to Ouran, they were silent.
Throughout the morning, Hikari was concerned about Natasha. What is it that she can't tell me? The bell rang for lunch and Hikari went to the cafeteria. She grabbed her food and carried it to the library. As she sat it down and began to eat, she heard the door open.
“Hikari,” said a feminine voice.
“Haruhi,” Hikari said with delight. “I'm glad that you're here.” Haruhi took a seat next to her. Hikari explain wheat happened to Natasha in the car and Hikaru the night before.
“HIKARU DID WHAT?!” she yelled in shock. Hikari covered her mouth.
“Shhhhh,” she said, “Keep it down, Haruhi. It's not something that I want known.” Haruhi opened her bento box and began to eat. Hikari offered some of her food in exchange for some `normal' food. Haruhi didn't mind.
“So,” Haruhi said after helping herself to some of Hikari's food. “Hikaru kissed your necklace. Did you slap him?” Hikari hesitated and shook her head.
“I was too shocked to do anything,” she moved her food around and Haruhi took another bit of food.
“Well, he seems pretty normal today,” Haruhi mentioned. “He acted like his normal self.”
“Well I'm glad that he found it satisfying,” Hikari said pushing her food away. “And I wonder what's going on in Natasha's mind.”
“Judging by her reaction,” Haruhi said, “There was probably something that brought back a bad memory or something.”
“I don't know.” Hikari placed her head on the table.
“When did she start to act strange?” Haruhi asked.
“After I mentioned Kyouya's name.” Haruhi placed her chin on her hand.
“Then there's something that involved her and Kyouya-sempai in the past,” Hikari lifted her head.
“Are you crazy, Haruhi?”
“No I'm not. I think that it makes sense.” The lunch bell rang and the two girls stood up.
“Don't worry,” Haruhi said, “Renge-kun made it so that you and I are working together during the cosplay. So don't worry about Hikaru and Kyouya-sempai.” Hikari nodded and they left the room.
The afternoon classes went by quickly for Hikari. She was so devoted to finishing her work, she had forgotten about her troubles with her two fellow host members. She entered the third music room and saw that everyone had been ready before her. Tamaki, Kaoru, Hikaru, and Mori-sempai were wearing bathing suits and holding onto surfboards. Honey wore a flower reef around his neck and a hula skirt with a flower anklet. Kyouya and Haruhi wore Bermuda shorts and Hawaiian shirt, as if they were tourists. The room looked as if they had taken Hawaii and dropped it in the host club room.
“It's just Hikari,” the twins said in unison. Hikari didn't say a word and started to head to the back room.
“You're costume is on the table in your changing room,” Kyouya said, not looking up from his notebook. “It will cost you for borrowing the costume.”
“Does everyone in the host club have to pay?” Kyouya didn't respond at first, but he adjusted his glasses and answered, “Of course.” Hikari didn't talk back and entered the room. She saw her costume was similar to the ones that Haruhi and Kyouya were wearing. She took a deep breath and began to change.
{The Host Club is now Open}
“Welcome,” said the Host club members. The girls screamed with joy as they saw their favorite host members. Everyone went to their designated area and were flattered by their hosts.
“Here's your story,” Hiroki said as he gave it tone of the girls. She gasped with joy.
“Oh my,” she said. She read the first few sentences and, when she was done, her eyes sparkled. “Thank you so much, Hiroki-kun.” He smiled.
“The pleasure is all mine.”
“Your stories are so detailed, Hiroki-kun,” Haruhi said picking one up.
“Of course they are. They're supposed to make the reader believe that they are in the story and that anything is possible.” The girls sighed.
“Keep up the good work, Hiroki-kun. I'm going to take this tea to Sempai's table,” Haruhi motioned towards Tamaki's table.
“Alright, Haruhi.” He waved, “Don't take long.”
Soon, Hiroki's girls left and he wandered around the club. He was beginning to help Haruhi with some of the tea things when Honey jumped on his back.
“Hiro-chan!” he said, “Do you know what next week's cosplay is?” Hiroki shook his head. “We're doing Cinderella themed.”
“How can we do a Cinderella theme cosplay?” he asked, “are we going to look like the cast or something?”
“Wrong, Hiroki,” Tamaki said from behind. He placed his hand on Haruhi and Hiroki's shoulder.
“Our Dance party is next week and we must prepare for it.” He spun around. “In the past, we had just typical parties, but now we're going to spice it up by adding a romantic theme.” He struck a pose as rose petals fell around him.
“Renge-kun offered that idea, didn't she,” Haruhi guessed. Tamaki turned pail, but recovered.
“The host club is having another dance party?” asked one of the girls.
“Of course. And with our Cinderella theme, all girls must look their best for their favorite host. It's next week.” He held the girl close and lifted her chin.
“Once we know more, I will personally let you know.”
“Oh, my prince.”
Hiroki and Haruhi turned the other way.
“A dance party?” He asked.
“Yep,” Haruhi answered, “Brace yourself. It will be a long night.”