Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Ouran High School Host Club: The Lyrical Beauty ❯ Chapter 3: The Princes are Giving a Ball—Hikari Dances. ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: The Princes are Giving a Ball—Hikari Dances.
NOTE: Hikari sees Haruhi as a different person when they're outside of Ouran walls. I hope you readers don't mind my interpretation. Enjoy
[The following week]
Natasha was silent during the drive to Ouran. She's been like this for a week now, Hikari thought to herself. I wonder when she'll tell me this story that she refuses to keep secret. Natasha stopped the car in front of the school.
“Have a good day,” she said, “I'll pick you up after your club's over.” Hikari nodded and was about to grab the handle, but stopped.
“Natasha, what's wrong?” She asked.
“Nothing. Don't worry about it,” she answered.
“You've been lifeless for a week now,” Hikari pointed out. “You've gotta tell me what your thinking or you'll be like this for a while.” Natasha's grip on the wheel tightened.
“Alright,” she said, “I'll tell you, but not now.” She turned around and faced Hikari. “I'll tell you once you and Hikaru are in a deep relationship.” Hikari smiled and gently pushed her.
“We're not dating.” She said as she got out of the car. “By the way, I hope that I see more of this type of attitude, Orihara-san,” Hikari mimicked. Natasha laughed and drove away. At least she'll be like her normal self until the time comes.
“Hikari?” Hikari turned and saw Kyouya staring at the driveway.
“Morning, Kyouya-sempai,” she said. He nodded.
“Who was that in the car?” Hikari began to walk towards the school. Kyouya followed and asked again.
“I'm not telling you anything,” was her answer. “I'm not going to let you black mail me any more than you need to.”
“Are you implying about our conversation in the club room?” he asked. Hikari nodded. “I see…” he adjusted his glasses and leaned on the school building in front of Hikari.
“Alright,” he said after a moment of silence. “I won't tell the Niwazaki family about what you're really doing in school.”
“What's my price?” Hikari asked. Kyouya gave her a confusing look.
“There's always a price when you make a deal, Kyouya-sempai. What's it this time?” He placed one of his hands in his pockets and looked at the road again.
“It depends on the facts that you give,” he answered. Hikari sighed.
“Fine,” she took a deep breath. “That was Orihara Natasha, my driver and guardian over me since my parent's death.” Kyouya's expression remained emotionless.
“What did she do before then?” he asked.
“She was a singer.” Hikari looked at the road and smiled. “Natasha is a singing prodigy. My mom interviewed her when she was only 10 years old. She was always surrounded by adults, but mom was different. She did kid stuff with her so that she wouldn't miss out on her childhood. I met her when I was seven years old. She has always been like an older sister to me. She learned how to disguise herself from dad.”
“What about her parents?” Kyouya asked.
“Her parents were using her to get money. She looked up to my mom and dad as parents…but she looked up to my mom as a best friend, which she was.”
“How could a 10 year old be best friends with someone who's 24?”Hikari shrugged.
“The same way that she fell in love with someone four years younger than her.” Kyouya, for the first time, looked at Hikari. She was smiling at the road. “`For a kid who was four years old, he seemed more like a 12-year-old'. That's what she said about him.”
“How'd they break up?” Hikari looked into Kyouya's eyes.
“Why do you want to know?” she asked, “I've given you a lot of information about her. Does she mean something to you?” She saw pain in Kyouya's eyes. He turned around so that she couldn't see any more.
“Fine,” he said, “As for your price…” He thought for a moment, “…just being a host is enough. If I see a story of yours lying around, though, I'm going to give it a price.”
“Fair enough,” Hikari said and walked off to her class.
Hikari walked her way towards the third music room. I wonder why Kyouya-sempai is so interested in Natasha's life. She pondered this question when she entered the music room. Everyone was huddling around a rectangular table that was not set up there the day before.
“Okay, I've got a question,” she asked aloud, “Where do all of these things come from?”
“You shouldn't ask,” Haruhi answered, “I asked that too, but that question still remains a mystery.” Hikari grabbed a chair next to Haruhi and looked at the paper scattered across the table.
“What's this for?” she asked.
“For the Cinderella ball,” Honey said throwing his hands in the air. “There's going to be so many different types of cakes there.”
“And Ootoro,” Mori-sempai added. Haruhi took a deep breath.
“But how can we plan out a Cinderella ball without any of the characters?” Hikari asked picking up a paper that had a drawing of what appeared to be costumes for them to wear.
“It's quite simple, actually,” Tamaki said, “There're eight princes and one glass slipper. Every girl will dance with the host of their choice, and (in another room) will try on the slipper. The one that has the perfect fit, will dance with her prince until midnight and will receive a kiss from him on their cheek.”
“But that's the same as last year,” Hikaru commented.
“That's true,” Kaoru added, “The only thing that's new is that's different is the glass slipper.”
“And that Haruhi kissed the best dancer,” Hikaru repeated. “Other than that, it's basically the same as last year.”
“No it's not!” Tamaki protested. He picked up another sheet of paper that had different dress designs that looked as if it was from the Victorian age.
“The princesses will dress like this,” he said directing everyone's attention towards the paper. “And the princes will wear the proper suits to match. There'll be waltzing and Victorian age dancing. Completely different from last year.”
“I still see no difference,” the twin said together. Tamaki began to chase the twins around the room.
“What inspired him to choose a theme for a dance?” Hikari asked Haruhi.
“He asked one of the girls what their favorite fairytale was and a lot of them answered `Cinderella'.”
“Wow,” Hikari replied. “Do you know how to dance?” Haruhi shrugged.
“Only a little bit. Nothing fancy like the rest of the host club.”
“Hiri-chan? Can you dance?” Honey asked. Hikari could have sworn that she saw little pink flowers flutter around him.
“Yeah, I can dance. My parents could both dance well, so they taught me.”
“That's cool,” Haruhi commented, “You must be pretty good then.” Hikari nodded.
“Then prove it.” Hikari and Haruhi turned to see Hikaru with his hands behind his head. “You keep on saying how good you are. Let's see?” Hikari shot a glare at him, but accepted.
“Haruhi, be my partner.” Haruhi raised her hands and shook her head.
“I can't dance,” she said. Hikari grabbed her wrist and positioned her the way that girls danced.
“Don't worry,” Hikari said, “I'm just doing this to prove to Hikaru that I can dance. Just follow my lead…literally.” And with that, she began to dance around the room. Haruhi had no difficulties in following her in her steps. Hikari closed her eyes and saw a large ball room and an orchestra playing beautiful music. She imagined that she was dancing with her dad when she was younger. She was showing him that she can lead a man.
Haha,” he said, “You learn quickly, my little dancer,” Hikari smiled. “I wonder if there'll ever be a man that can lead you better than you can?” Hikari laughed.
No way, daddy. I'm the best there is.”
“You're amazing,” Haruhi expressed. Hikari opened her eyes and smiled. She spun Haruhi out and back in. The music in her mind began to slowly die out and she slowly ended her dancing. Applause filled the room.
“BRAVO!” Tamaki said clapping insanely fast.
“That truly was amazing.” Kaoru commented.
“But that was with a girl,” Hikaru said in a displeased tone. “Of course she'd be a better leader than a girl who can't lead on her own.”
“Hikaru,” Haruhi and Hikari said together.
“Hikari should go to the ball as a girl, and dance with a real man.” Hikari felt anger flowing through her body.
“What's your problem, Hikaru?” Haruhi asked.
“Nothing. I'm just posting my opinion, that's all.”
“I just proved your opinion wrong, though,” Hikari pointed out. “Haruhi knows how to lead because she learned it from someone else. She's on the same level as everyone else in this room.” Hikaru still looked displeased.
“Just go as a girl,” he repeated.
“She can't,” Kyouya interrupted. “She's entitled to participate in our activities, so she must come as a guy.” Hikaru clenched his jaw and crossed his arms.
“Oh man, Hikaru,” Kaoru said. “Excuse him, Hikari-chan,” he said, “He's like this when he's stubborn.”
“A gentleman shouldn't act stubborn in front of a lady,” she said. Hikaru gave a death glare at Hikari. She welcomed it and threw it back.
“And you know how a gentleman should act?” he asked.
“Yes. I do.”
“Because you're a guy, right?” Hikaru said sarcastically.
“No, because I've met proper gentlemen before, and none ever acted the way you do.” Hikaru threw his fists to the side. Kaoru jumped out of the way.
“Hikaru, stop this, already,” Haruhi said.
“Hikaru,” Tamaki said “Just calm down.” Hikaru grabbed a chair, pulled it towards the window, sat down, and pouted.
“What's his problem?” Hikari asked.
“Hika-chan doesn't like to be wrong,” Honey said, “Or being called stubborn.” Hikari shrugged her shoulders.
“I'm called many different things, and I don't let them get to me.”
“But not everyone's the same,” Kaoru added. Hikari turned to the table and began to look at the costumes.
After the planning had finished, they set the date for Friday night. Hikaru had stopped pouting and started to help the other members with the planning, but he ignored Hikari the rest of the time. She felt hurt and angry at him at the same time. She felt as if her heart was crying, Notice me. Don't ignore me. But her mind was screaming, You idiot! You know nothing!
“Hikari,” Kyouya said, “Why don't you spend the night at Haruhi's tonight, Thursday, and Friday night?”
“Why?” Hikari asked. Kyouya drew out his notebook.
“Because,” he began, “You need an excuse to why you're arriving at the Niwazaki house later than usual. And also…” he closed his notebook. “Orihara-san's house is closer to Haruhi's than the Niwazaki's. That way, the commute won't be as long for either of you. Plus Haruhi could go with you.”
“That sounds fine by me,” Hikari said. She turned to Haruhi. “Are you alright with that?”
“I'd have to ask my dad,” she said.
“Don't worry,” Kyouya said, “I took the liberty in asking him for you.”
“WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO STOP MAKING THESE CALLS!?” Haruhi screamed.
“Kyouya-sempai really has to stop doing that,” Haruhi said as the two girls entered the train.
“Yeah, but if I was going to be a bother tonight, you would have said something, right?” Hikari asked.
“Don't worry,” Haruhi said, “My dad's been dying to meet you anyway.”
“Really?”
“Yeah.” Hikari smiled.
The rest of the way, Hikari and Haruhi exchanged stories about their past with their parents. As Haruhi opened the door to her apartment, a figure clung around her neck.
“HARUHI! Welcome home!” Hikari looked at the person hanging on Haruhi's neck. The person had long brown hair and was wearing a skirt with a blouse on top.
“Hi dad,” she said, “This is Hoshiyama Hikari.” Haruhi's dad turned around and noticed Hikari.
“Welcome,” he said with open arms. “I'm Haruhi's father, but you can call me Ranka-san.”
“How do you do?” Hikari said with a bow, “Thank you for having me over one such short notice.” Ranka-san ran his fingers through his hair.
“Don't mention it. It's always a pleasure to have Haruhi's friends over. Please, this way.” Hikari entered their small apartment. She took off her shoes and walked barefooted on the carpeted floor. To the right was the kitchen and to the left was the living room. Up ahead were two bedrooms and bathrooms. Hikari felt a feeling of joy. This reminds me of my old house…six years ago.
“I hope that you don't mind the small space,” Ranka said.
“Not at all,” Hikari said with delight. “This house is a perfect size.” Haruhi tapped her on the shoulder.
“Let's get into some regular clothes and have some dinner,” she said.
“I'll help,” Hikari offered. The two got out of their uniform and began to make the dinner. Once dinner was set, Ranka had his hair ted back and wore a “dad” T-shirt with black sweat pants. The three sat down and began to eat. About half-way through the meal, Ranka spoke.
“Haruhi,” he said, “I was told that there's going to be a ball at your school that the Host Club is hosting.” Haruhi made a face.
“Kyouya called, didn't he.” Ranka placed a shocking look on his face.
“But you don't tell me anything, Haruhi,” he said in a whiny voice. Hikari tried to contain her laughter. She picked up her glass of water and slowly drank it down.
“Well, I bring it up because I know that there's a certain host that you might be interested in dancing with.” Haruhi's cheeks turned a little red.
“What are you talking about,” she said, “I have to dance. Therefore, I have to dress up like a boy. So I'm not going to be dancing with Tamaki-sempai.”
“You two are together, so it's only natural that a couple dances together.” Hikari almost dropped her cup. Neither Ranka nor Haruhi noticed.
“Dad,” she said with annoyance in her voice.
“I don't care if he has the most money in the world. I'm not letting that idiotic prince marry you.”
“Why does everyone think that we're getting married? I want to fulfill my dream before anything.”
“What dream is that?” Hikari asked.
“I wanna be a lawyer like my mom.” Hikari smiled.
“That's a strong goal.”
“I thought so too.” Haruhi moved closer to Hikari. “It's like you with your dream to be a writer.”
“The only difference is that I'm not following in my parent's footsteps. But they encourage it either way.”
“Hikari,” Ranka asked, “Is one of the hosts to your liking?” Hikari thought about it before Haruhi elbowed her in the ribs.
“Not really,” she answered.
“Really?” Ranka sounded shocked. “Kyouya-san said that you and Hikaru-kun seemed to be getting locked in rooms alone quite a lot.” Hikari didn't know how to respond.
“DAD!” Haruhi screamed. After many arguments about Hikari and Haruhi becoming future brides of rich men, the two finally got into Haruhi's room. It was simple and small. There were two twin beds (one was a pull-out) in the corner of the room. Haruhi's desk was on the right and was covered with law books, school books, and pictures.
“Wow,” Hikari said out loud.
“It's nothing much,” Haruhi said.
“No, it's just enough.” She looked at the pictures of young Haruhi with her father and mother.
“You look a lot like your mom,” She commented.
“Thanks. She's my role model.” Haruhi said as she placed her stuff on her bed.
“Hey, Haruhi,” Hikari began to ask, “Are you dating Tamaki-sempai?” Haruhi plopped down on the bed and looked around the room. She bit her lower lip.
“…Yes,” she finally said, “We're dating…I guess.” She looked at the floor and blushed. Hikari came over and joined her on her bed.
“How long ago?” Hikari asked. Haruhi grabbed a pillow and hugged it tightly.
“Last year, at the cultural festival, Tamaki-sempai was engaged to this French girl. And I wasn't happy about it and didn't know why at first, but then I heard the story about his past and realized that his character was…sort of a way of surviving the pain.”
“What do you mean?” Hikari asked. Haruhi began to explain about Tamaki's mother and his grandmother (who she hates with a passion), was trying to black mail him to benefit the Suou family.
“That's Horrible,” Hikari said. Haruhi nodded in agreement.
“I was then told about how he was leaving for France…and I felt so heart broken.” She squeezed her pillow. “The thought of Tamaki leaving Ouran made me feel…so sad. So we all followed him and tried to stop him from leaving. Kyouya punched a car. Mori-sempai and Honey-sempai beat up Kyouya's guards blocking us. Hikaru and Kaoru used a horse and buggy half way, but Hikaru broke his arm when he flew out of the driver seat. And I just took the reins and went after him.” Hikari stared at Haruhi as she looked at the floor. Her eyes seemed to remember the pain of losing someone…that they really loved.
“I caught up to him and convinced him to come back. We both fell over a bridge, and got soaking wet, but we went to the festival anyway. I decided to remain a host member and he promised never to leave me again.”
“But when did he ask you out?” Hikari asked. She was eager to know what it was like dating a host member.
“We were beginning to be alone together a lot…and I didn't mind him clinging on to me anymore…and then one day…around Christmas time…he asked me out.”
“But he always calls you his `daughter',” Hikari pointed out, “And if he's `daddy', then he shouldn't date his daughter.”
“Apparently he just didn't know how to comprehend his feelings for me,” Haruhi replied. “We're his family…his and Kyouya's. But I guess now the positions have changed since I'm the one with Tamaki-sempai, but I don't like to think about it.”
“But you act like you don't like him,” Hikari said.
“I do that because he still embarrasses me. But he's a great guy,” she said with a smile. Hikari leaned back against the wall.
“I still can't believe it,” she said.
“Nor can I,” Haruhi said, “But I'm glad he's with me. He knows me better than any of the other person, besides my real dad, of course.”
“It must be great to have that kind of relationship,” Hikari said. Haruhi nodded.
“So how about you?” Hikari felt her body freezing in place. “What's really happening with you and Hikaru?”
“I already told you everything, Haruhi,” Hikari said quickly. “Besides, Hikaru isn't serious. He just jokes around. I bet you he wants me to like him, so that he could make fun of me later.”
“I don't think so,” Haruhi said, “I know he may seem like a jerk, but he really isn't.”
“But what about today with the dance thing?”
“I'm not sure why he decided to pick a fight with you,” Haruhi said in defense, “but I do know that he didn't mean it.” Hikari got off Haruhi's bed and went to her pull-out bed. She didn't speak for a while.
“Haruhi,” Hikari finally said, “Is it weird dating a host when you're acting like a guy?”
“Not really,” Haruhi answered, “It's weird that people expect me to marry him.”
“WHAT?!” Hikari screamed, “But you're only in high school.”
“Tamaki told me that his dad wants me to marry him (which he also said that he didn't mind), but he will let me fulfill my dream before anything happens.”
“Will you two still be together?” Haruhi shrugged.
“I don't know.”
“Do you want to marry him?” Hikari asked. Haruhi was about to answer, but shut her mouth. She opened her bedroom door and looked around.
“Good,” she said in relief, “Dad's asleep.” She closed the door and sat with Hikari.
“Honestly,” she said, swallowing hard. “I wouldn't mind.” Hikari's eyes grew wide.
“Seriously?” Hikari asked. Haruhi nodded. “Why?”
“I'm not really sure,” she answered, “It just…feels right.” Hikari gave her a confusing look.
“Don't worry,” she said, “I'm not going to let this get in the way of becoming a lawyer.” Hikari sighed in relief. “It's something for me to think about when I'm older.”
“Okay,” Hikari said. She got out her notebook and scribbled down some notes.
“You're always writing things down,” Haruhi pointed out.
“A writer is always on her toes,” Hikari said with a wink.
“Hikari?” Hikari looked up from writing, “Can you not…tell people about me and Tamaki-sempai, I mean.” Hikari nodded. “I don't mind if you tell Natasha, since she doesn't keep in touch with our school, but I like to keep my image under the rug.” Hikari smiled.
“No problem. I'm glad that I'm seeing the real you and not some cosplay.” The two of them laughed. “You're a little more girly than I thought you were.” Haruhi shrugged her shoulders again.
“There's a lot of things people don't know about me at Ouran, but I'm happy to share them with a good friend.” They both laughed again. We're so lame, Hikari thought happily.