Ouran High School Host Club Fan Fiction ❯ Rubbing The Lamp ❯ Ch 1b Haruhi's reaction ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Ouran Host Club belongs to Bisco Hatori, not me. I make no profit off this story. If Bisco Hatori-san wishes, I will remove this from the web upon her personal request.
 
Secondary Disclaimer: All characters in this story are at least 18 years of age. While that might seem unlikely - as three of the characters are only sophomores in high school, I figure it this way: if Bisco Hatori-san can ignore the students graduating for two years in a row and keep everyone in the same grade, I can then apply that logic to their ages. Therefore, Haruhi, Kaoru and Hikaru are just 18. Kyoya and Tamaki are about to turn 19. Mori is about to turn 20, and Huni already is 20. (Therefore, according to Japanese figuring, Huni is the only adult. :P )
 
 
And now for the story:
 
Rubbing The Lamp
Inter-chapter Introspection 1
 
 
As she prepared herself for bed, she reflected over the events of the day, almost exactly reliving her meeting with the Vice-President in her mind.
 
It had been nerve wracking for her. He sat in front of her as cool as always. Separated. He wasn't like the rest of the group. Oh, sure, they all had their own qualities. But they all meshed together so well.
 
And yet, somehow Kyoya was like a rock that stood alone. It reminded her of when she had been doing some research on words and their meanings - what they meant today versus their original meaning. The word “holy” originally meant only “set apart”. Then it became “set apart by God,” then “set apart by God toward a purpose,” and finally it came to be known as something “pure and untouchable.” With all the different meanings to the word, it seemed odd to attribute the word to him because certainly several of the definitions did not apply to him. And also, calling him holy Kyoya sounded like a bad animated cartoon. But still…
 
She had wondered if he would ever remember she was there. It might have been annoying waiting for him if she hadn't really expected that type of treatment. Kyoya never looked at her except as a profit center for the club. Free labor.
 
But it seemed it was more than that. She had truly taken money out of the pockets of all six members by breaking that vase. She'd never considered that before. It had seemed like they were all spoiled brats wasting time. But because of Kyoya's efforts, they made a profit, and she had stolen it from them. The shame and guilt of that had been a shocking blow.
 
And to think that her carelessness would be hurting the two club members who had never done anything but be kind and support her - with no ulterior motives. She'd felt faint at the thought.
 
Actually, after a year with them, she considered all of them her friends. So she'd have felt bad at hurting any of them, really. But the thought of her actions stealing money from Mori. And Huni too, of course. Well, that made her feel almost as bad as the disappointment she felt radiating off Kyoya.
 
Her actual debt was still 6,666,666 yen. The amount was staggering. She'd worked so hard, and yet her debt only had been reduced by 3,333,334 yen. At this rate, she wouldn't be able to pay them off until she herself graduated.
 
Of course she knew that Kyoya kept solid tabs on everything she did. Nothing came for free. If she was given something or broke something, the cost was added onto her debt. But she couldn't fault Kyoya's bookkeeping. He was a whiz with that stuff. And everything he did had a basis in reality. The law of TANSTAFL. No free lunches. She actually appreciated his realistic standards there. That was the way life worked - even if only Kyoya and herself (and maybe Mori) seemed aware of the fact.
 
And then he'd mentioned that there had been offers to buy her debt. She couldn't help but wonder who. Who would make that offer? Oh, sure, Tamaki might. But Kyoya had said “offerS." Plural. “A couple members,” he'd said. So who else? And… it wasn't definite it was Tamaki anyway. He was a bit too naïve to think about something like that. And she knew he'd be somewhat offended by the thought of buying her way out. It would be like he thought she couldn't honor her debts. He was honorable if not as bright as some, and respectful in interesting ways. So who?
 
And then Kyoya had said the word, “beholden.” She flushed at remembering. If someone bought out her debt, it could make her “beholden” to that person. A picture of each club member had flashed in front of her eyes as she'd felt… well, that word brought a different feeling with each face she visualized. And really, after breaking that damned vase, wasn't she already “beholden” to each of them? She'd just never thought of it that way before.
 
And then he'd offered a way out. Called her “the princess who broke the vase.” Remembering it, she couldn't help barking out a small laugh. Kyoya. So facetious.
 
The details of the plan were interesting. And compelling. She was certain that the first task for each club member would be completely innocuous. After all, by the time the first round of tasks was done, she'd only have gained 111,111 yen - leaving 6,555,555 yen to be paid.
 
The second round would be a little more difficult, but… her suspicious nature led her to believe that these tasks would be somewhat innocent as well. After all, they wouldn't want her to refuse to do the third round. That had to be when they would really ask for something interesting. Because they were holding half her debt hostage to convince her to agree to all six demands.
 
But what would they be?
 
She couldn't think of one thing that she had to offer any of them at all. Well… maybe she could bake a cake for Huni.
 
And of course, if she was one of the girls who frequented the club, they might ask her for something risqué. Might try to kiss her or something more. But, she wasn't one of the beautiful girls who were entertained by their club. So there really wasn't a chance that they'd even think of something like that.
 
She crawled into bed, unaware that she was scowling.
 
 
XXXXXXX