Outlaw Star Fan Fiction ❯ Cassiopeia ❯ Know the Enemy ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Seven: Know the Enemy:

Ruthie and Lizzie followed Jim back to his place. He locked his bedroom door. They didn't speak until he booted up his laptop.

“Did you feel it too?” Lizzie whispered. Ruthie grabbed her gem.

“Yes,” Jim answered.

“Who's after us now?” Ruthie asked. Jim went straight to the internet.

“There's been nothing weird in the news lately,” he said. Jim pulled out his crystal. “It doesn't make sense.”

“Our gems wouldn't be reacting like this unless there was something,” Lizzie said. Ruthie looked at hers as well.

“What can we find on Lily?” she asked.

“Not much,” Jim said. “Aside from her mom offing her dad, she's just a moral student.”

“No records?” Ruthie asked.

“I've checked twice,” Jim said. “And I still have a sea of nothing.” Ruthie furrowed her brows.

“That can't be right,” she said. Jim showed his laptop screen. Ruthie narrowed her eyes as she read the file.

“How did you find this?” she asked.

“I hacked into a couple of databases,” he said.

“What?” the brain asked. Jim waved her off, clicking away to another tab.

“I don't get it,” Lizzie spoke up.

“Get what?” Jim asked.

“Why are our gems reacting to Lily?” the heart asked. “She has nothing on her. No magical powers, no spirits, nothing.” She sank to the floor. “It doesn't make sense.”

“We know,” Ruthie said. “But what can we do about it?” Lizzie held up her crystal.

“What are you trying to tell us?” she asked. Jim's laptop made a loud ping noise.

“Hm?” the body asked. He brought up the tab with his e-mail.

“What is it?” Ruthie asked.

“I just got a new e-mail,” he said. Jim clicked open the message. He narrowed his eyes. “What is this?” The girls came on either side of him.

“Do you hold the dragon?” Lizzie read aloud.

“Who the hell is Washu?” Ruthie asked. Jim stared at the screen, tempted to write back. Suddenly, a chat window popped up on the screen.

“Hello? Do you hold the dragon?” the message read.