Pet Shop Of Horrors Fan Fiction ❯ Denial ❯ Denial Pt 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Pet Shop of Horrors and I make no money from this or any other fanfic I write. One of These Things (Is Not Like The Others) is a Sesame Street song. Words and Music by Joe Raposo and Jon Stone.
Pairing: Leon + D
Category: General/Romance
Warning: Shonen Ai, Language
Title: Denial
Author: yellowhorde
Status: In Progress
Notes: Feel free to send comments/constructive criticism to me at yellowhorde@hotmail.com
 
 
DENIAL
Part Nine
 
 
When D returned a short while later, Leon was curled up in the corner of the couch, shivering. His legs were drawn up to his chest and his chin rested on his knees. The blanket he had been given was now draped over his head like a cowl casting his handsome face into shadow.
 
'He looks so much like his brother sometimes.' D thought, unable to suppress his smile.
 
"Comfortable, Detective?" he asked, settling himself gracefully into the chair directly opposite from where the police officer lay shivering.
 
"No," Leon snapped, glaring at him from beneath the blanket. "I'm sitting here in a dress freezing my ass off. Not exactly my idea of comfortable, you know."
 
"I do apologize for any discomfort on your part, dear Detective." D murmured as he reached for the teapot near the center of the table, his black hair falling forward and brushing his cheeks. "Your clothes are drying in the other room. They should be done before too long. Please, have a little patience."
 
He smiled up at Leon, his unique eyes peering out through a dark spill of hair. Leon's breath caught in his throat as he felt those eyes burning into his own. He could feel them delving deeper... diving into his very soul, uncovering his deepest, darkest thoughts, feelings... desires.
 
D's eyes tugged at something deep inside Leon with gentle insistence, something he hadn't even known he possessed, something that had laid dormant for so long. Lust, yes, desire, yes, but something that went beyond the carnal needs of the body. Confused, he shook his head as if trying to clear it. Looking into D's eyes made him feel like he was drowning. It was both scary and exhilarating at once. Like riding a roller coaster. But there was also that oh-so-small taste of very real danger. One small screw up and someone was going to get hurt... and hurt badly.
 
"Patience..." Leon parroted, and his voice felt dim and distant even to his own ears. "Right."
 
D smiled again, then reached for a small brown glass bottle that sat next to the sugar bowl, his long fingers moving with a grace that was almost inhuman. Leon peered at the bottle suspiciously, almost certain it hadn't been there before. He knew he would have noticed it before now because it stood out stark and boring amongst the highly decorated dishes surrounding it. 'It's almost like a scene out of Sesame Street. One of those silly learning games they always played,' he thought, as part of one of those long ago songs drifted through his fuzzy brain.
 
One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?
 
"Shit." Leon muttered, pressing the palm of one hand against his forehead as if checking for fever. "My mind's totally whacked out today."
 
D glanced up at him, his expression one of confused curiosity. "Pardon me?"
 
"Nothing." Leon mumbled. "Just forget I said anything."
 
When D continued to stare at him, Leon held out his hand, palm up. "No wait. Let me see that bottle for a sec, will you?"
 
"Of course, Detective." D pressed the tiny bottle into his outstretched hand, then leaned back with a look of smug amusement. He folded one leg over the other at the knee and laced his long fingers together, the very picture of a patience. Leon ignored him, and carefully examined the bottle.
 
There were handwritten Chinese characters on both the label and the old-fashioned cork but that didn't tell him anything at all. He only knew a few spoken Chinese words and he couldn't read the language at all. He glanced at D feeling exceptionally foolish then returned his suspicious gaze to the bottle in his hand. Just an ordinary glass bottle as far as he could tell.
 
Leon sighed softly to himself as he stared at the bottle in his hand. He didn't know why he was acting like an asshole all of a sudden. It wasn't like Count D was going to poison him or anything. If he had wanted to do that, he could've done it on any of the countless other occasions he had shared tea with him. He knew he was being foolish, but he was nervous and on edge and if he wanted to act like a suspicious old woman, than so be it. His gut was telling him something was up. He didn't know what exactly, but it was definitely something. And he was a man who always followed his gut instincts. Even if they seemed to be wrong more often than not these days.
 
'This could very well be just another harmless package,' he reasoned, 'or it could be something truly horrible.'
 
Leon gripped the small neck of the bottle in one hand and the cork in the other. "Do you mind?" He asked, glancing over at D.
 
"Not at all."
 
Slowly Leon worked the cork free then set it down on the table. He then gingerly held the now open bottle lightly under his nose and fanned the air towards him with one hand, so that the freshly disturbed air currents would carry any lingering scents. The faintest hint of citrus tickled Leon's nose and he relaxed marginally, feeling more than a little foolish for his suspicious thoughts. A second, fuller breath confirmed his findings - the scent was that of lemons.
 
Lovely gold and violet eyes met blue and D smiled gently at the man sitting across from him. Leon lips pressed together in frustration as he handed the bottle back to its owner.
 
"Satisfied now, Detective?" D asked as he carefully added first a teaspoon of honey then three drops from the brown bottle into one of the ornately decorated cups.
 
"Yeah, I guess." Leon replied, unconsciously pulling the blanket about his shoulders just a bit tighter. "What's up with the lemon and honey, Count? You know I don't add sugary stuff to my tea."
 
"Just a little something to help sooth you." D smiled happily and, picking up the teapot, began to pour the steaming liquid into the cup. "We wouldn't want you getting sick now, would we?"
 
"Ha, that'll be the day. I'm healthy as a horse!" Leon boasted, pounding one fist solidly against his chest. "It'll take more than some snow and wet clothes to get me under the weather."
 
"Yes, of course." D murmured as he stirred the tea carefully before handing the teacup and saucer to Leon.
 
"Thanks." Leon said, grateful for something warm to drink.
 
The delicate porcelain cup, which seemed ridiculously small in his hands, radiated soothing warmth into his calloused palms. Absently he gripped the handle of the spoon and stirred for several seconds. Then with a sigh he brought the cup to his lips and inhaled the fragrant steam that wafted lazily up from the amber liquid within. He was feeling a little bit warmer, but a cup of hot tea, even one sweetened with honey, would definitely hit the spot.
 
Leon paused, cup almost touching his lips. He noticed D watching him, one shapely brow arched and he smiled at him, and it was a comfortable smile, one that was came easily and was full of a warmth he hadn't known he possessed. D hesitantly returned the smile and Leon was surprised to see the faintest hint of a blush touch those pale cheeks.
 
He raised the cup of tea to the Count in silent salute then grinned wolfishly. With exaggerated care he took the spoon by the handle and withdrew it from his cup making sure he didn't spill. He then set it down carefully on the saucer Seeing the almost shocked expression on D's face caused him to chuckle.
 
Leon sipped his tea noisily and the heady mixture of lemon and honey was surprisingly pleasant, each flavor balancing out the other smoothly. He could actually feel the warmth from the tea spilling down his throat and into his stomach. From there it exploded and flowed effortlessly through his entire system. Before he even finished his first cup he was feeling much warmer and more relaxed than he had felt in a long while.
 
Almost lazily he let his mind and eyes wander as a comfortable drowsiness settled over his body. He found himself watching D with something close to fascination as the other man prepared his own tea. Each movement precise, graceful, like the choreographed steps in a ballet. Here he pours the tea as steam rises like mist from a waterfall. Now he adds one sugar cube. And another. His eyes fell almost helplessly to D's hands and he found himself admiring those long slender fingers. How graceful they were with their blood red nails manicured so neatly.
 
In his mind's eye he pictured those hands pressed against his bare chest, so warm and pale against his surfer boy's tan. Somehow he knew they would be smooth and soft as they gently explored the planes and ridges beneath them. Tracing fingertips down along the ridges of his abdomen. Mentally he followed the image of D's hands as they strayed lower, following the soft golden hairs along their southern path.
 
Guiltily he tore his eyes away from D, ashamed of his thoughts and the feelings they invoked within him. He cast his eyes downward, staring into the empty depths of his cup as if it was the most fascinating thing he'd ever seen. But his guilt, though very much real, seemed far off and unimportant somehow. His thoughts began to fade and his body felt unnaturally heavy, as if sand flowed through his veins and not blood.
 
Leon glanced at D who sat across from him, sipping his tea. His eyes were closed and his face held such contentment. Leon opened his mouth as if to speak but no words came out. Blearily he gathered his thoughts and tried again. This time he was able to find his voice.
 
"Did... did you drug the tea... D?" he asked and his voice sounded distant and faint even to his own ears. "I'm so... tired."
 
D's eyes opened and his eyebrows rose at this unexpected question. "Why in heaven's name would I drug your tea, Detective?"
 
"Don't know. For shits and giggles?"
 
"You should know me better than that, my dear Detective." D's voice was soft but there was the barest hint of reproach.
 
"Yeah... I do... But..." Another wave of heaviness dragged at him, threatening to pull him under. "What did you put in the tea?"
 
D set his cup down on the table with a sigh. "A few drops of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey. Just a little something to help you relax. Nothing more."
 
"But..."
 
"Your body's energy reserves have been drained." D explained patiently as he stood and walked over to where Leon was sitting on the couch. He sat down besides him, close enough that Leon could feel the heat of his body through the blanket. The warm scent of his skin made his head reel almost drunkenly. He blinked slowly, his eyes getting heavier with each passing second. Like a bird trapped in the hypnotic gaze of a cobra he stared into D's eyes, feeling dazed.
 
"You need to replenish yourself."
 
"Replenish..."
 
"That's right." D murmured softly as Leon's head dropped slowly to his chest, his hands falling limply to his side. Skillfully D scooped up the tea cup from the Detective's loose grip before it could fall to the floor and break. He set it carefully on the table a safe distance from the edge.
 
"Yes, that's a good boy, Detective." D whispered softly as Leon slumped over, his head slowly coming to rest in his waiting lap. "Sleep now."
 
Leon's breath became slower, deeper, as he drifted into the darker waters of slumber. The tiny lines on his forehead smoothed away as all stress and worries slipped away from him. D smiled tenderly and shifted his position minutely so that both he and the American would be a bit more comfortable. From somewhere deep in the pet shop came the sounds of one of the antique clocks chiming the hour, a not so subtle reminder that time was not on his side.
 
For many long minutes D gazed down at the sleeping man as his own thoughts and emotions waged war with each other. A pain like none he had ever felt before thudded through his heart and he shivered at its implications.
 
"What is the meaning of these feelings?" he whispered, his voice trembling as water filled his eyes. "Could it be that I....that he..."
 
'Be careful,' his mind whispered and it spoke with the calm and somber tones of his grandfather. 'that you do not start down that forbidden path.'
 
With a sad, wistful smile D smoothed Leon's bangs from his forehead, stroking his long fingers through the smooth strands, enjoying their texture. He worked his fingers through his blond hair, as he described slow and gentle circles along the heat of his scalp.
 
A single tear fell against the back of his hand, followed shortly by another...and another. D closed his eyes and wept as unbearable pain pierced him, heart and soul. He focused his mind and tried to block out everything from the world save for the heat and feel of the man who slept now under his protection. But he could not for his heart ached knowing that there were dangers ahead that would test the limits of even his endurance and that those he cared for may very well be caught up in the fray. He wept because he was already walking that most forbidden path.
 
He had taken that very first step the day he had met Detective Leon Orcot.
 
 
TO BE CONTINUED...
 
Sorry about the wait. The Holidays are always so hectic! And I apologize in advance because I know there will be a wait for chapter 10. I have a paper that's due in less than a week and I really need to get it done, hell, getting it started would be a good thing! Unfortunately, grades and school stuff have to come first... Pity.
 
But I'll get chapter 10 done just as soon as I'm able. I promise!