Petite Princess Yucie Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Kisses: Arc and Yucie ❯ Torn ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: “Torn”
Author: Wish Wielder
Pairing: Arc/Yucie
Fandom: Puchi Puri Yucie
Theme: #8 (our own world)
Disclaimer: “Puchi Puri Yucie” and all respective properties are © Gainax/Yucie Committee. Meg “tN!!” D. (Wish Wielder) does not, has never, nor will ever own “Puchi Puri Yucie.”

“Torn”

Yucie didn’t really understand how it was possible, but she also knew not to question things like this. ‘Never look a gift-horse in the mouth’ and all that, right?
Arc was sitting in the grass next to her, looking out on a field of Sunset Brights. He was perfectly healthy, and he was saying something that she wasn’t really paying any attention to. She was kneeling beside him, watching him in a mixture of awe and curiosity. Just how was he here, anyway? The last she remembered, he had been…he hadn’t been well. Going from that, she knew just how hard it would’ve been for him to be there. So why was he? What was going on? She noticed he had stopped talking, and he was looking at her expectantly.
“So?” he asked. She winced slightly. She had no idea what he had asked, but she did have her own question for him.
“What are you doing here?” she asked. He frowned at her.
“What do you mean, ‘what am I doing here?’ I’m here to see you, Forehead! What else would I be here for?” he asked.
“But you’re…” she stopped, unable to continue. Though she knew the reality, she still couldn’t bring herself to say he was dying. It hurt too much to think about it.
“I’m dying,” he said, voicing her thoughts. Her panicked gaze was enough to tell him everything.
“No, you’re not! We’re going to find a cure!” she said, taking his hand in her own. “I won’t let you die, Arc!”
“You can’t stop Diabolos, Yucie,” he whispered. She shook her head, determined to make him see.
“I can! We can, the girls and me!” she said. “We’ll beat him, and we’ll find you a cure. You will live!”
“You don’t have time,” he said. “I’m going to die.”
“No, you’re not!” she screamed at him. “You big jerk, how can you be so careless about this? I don’t want you to die! I lo-”
The wind was knocked out of her as she realized what she had almost said. She had almost confessed everything to him, even though she had once promised herself she’d remain silent until she could tell him as an adult. Had he caught her last words? Had he realized what she had meant, or was he confused by it all? Did he even care?
She looked up sheepishly, fully intent on explaining herself, when her gaze locked with his. There was something in his eyes she had never noticed before, a hunger, almost. Had it always been there, and if so, why? She was just a child, or at least she looked like one. How could he harbor any feelings for someone who looked so much younger than him? It wasn’t possible - she had to have mistook his gaze.
But when she looked back up at him, that look was still there. A silent longing, a yearning for something, or someone. Who? Her? No…it wasn’t possible. Yet, the more her eyes searched his, the more she saw that it was. He was looking at her with those eyes. He was yearning for her. Her mind went back to her first question: had he always looked at her like that? Why was she only just noticing it? Why…
He jerked her out of her thoughts by snaking his arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him. She scooted forward, her knees stumbling on the grass. For that one moment, while he held her and looked into her eyes, she felt like the world fell away. Their own little world replaced it, one where they were the only ones who existed - who mattered - in the whole place. It was theirs, and she never wanted to leave.
“Arc…” she whispered, his name coming out a quiet sigh that was carried away by the warm breeze. His smile took on a Cheshire-like quality, and he began to gently rub her lower back. She looked at him, confusion in her chocolate eyes.
“You’re gonna forget about me now, right?” he asked. As soon as it had come, their world shattered. Her eyes shot open as she struggled for something to say. Confusion and hurt filled those eyes, and she couldn’t understand how he could still be smiling.
“Arc, I…how can you ask me to do that?” she forced out, fighting back the tears that threatened to spill out.
“Your friends are more important,” he whispered to her. “I’ll be fine. Don’t choose me over them.”
She looked down, and he leaned forward, placing the ghost of a kiss on her lips. She glanced up at him, an immense pain in her eyes, only to find he had vanished.
“Arc!” she cried, fear creeping into her voice. Where had he gone? What was going on? “Arc! This isn’t funny! Where are you? Arc! Arc, don’t leave me again! Arc!!!”
“Arc!!!” she cried as she jerked forward, her eyes snapping open to reveal large, terrified orbs. She shook as she looked around, recognizing the desolate landscape immediately. That’s right…she was in the ruins of the Magical World. Glancing to her side, she saw that her four friends had slept through her little outburst. Good, perhaps that was best. She slumped forward, tears leaking from her eyes as she hugged her knees to her chest.
It was all so unfair! Why had she been placed in this lot? Why did she have to choose between her friends and Arc? It wasn’t fair! She couldn’t do it. If she chose Arc, if she chose to accept the Eternal Tiara, the friends she had made over those past few months would die. If she chose her friends, it was almost guaranteed Arc would die. While she didn’t trust Magazerent, she knew the magician had been right: without the tiara, Arc would die.
But how could she accept the tiara when it would mean her friends’ deaths? She couldn’t return to the Human World without them. Who was she to decide their fates? She wasn’t even a royal! And her father…
Anger towards Gunberd surged through her. He had assembled the tiara. He had brought this upon them, upon her. Yet, she knew she couldn’t blame him. He hadn’t known the consequences, and he still didn’t. He was probably at home, waiting to welcome the new princess home with an elaborate feast. Still, a part of her wanted to blame him.
And what of that dream? What had it meant, and why had she had it? It had seemed so real, but she knew it was impossible. Arc was in the Human World, dying. She was probably the last thing on his mind, even though he was all that was on hers. She felt horrible even thinking it, that he could be thinking of her at a time like this. He needed to concentrate on fighting Diabolos - on living.
“I’m alone in this,” she whispered miserably. Her mind wandered back to the good part of the dream, the part before his unreasonable request. Even if it was just a dream, it had been perfect. It had felt perfect. It had been just them, in that field filled with their flower. And how he had looked at her…she knew she’d only be granted that look in her dreams. Even though she knew that, she still couldn’t help but think about it. It had been their own little world. Well, in a way. He knew nothing about it, but he had still been there. She closed her eyes, a bittersweet smile on her face.
‘Maybe we can stay there,’ she thought. ‘Time can stop, no one will die, and we can be together…just us in our own little world.’

owari

a.n.:
Part of this installment was totally inspired by Shii-chanchick. She’s started an awesome PPY fic, and if you enjoy PPY I highly suggest you get over to her website and check it out (click the link in her author’s profile - it’s not up on FF.net).

Comments and constructive criticism welcomed. Please, don’t flame. If you can’t say your CC without flaming, don’t bother. Flames will be used to fuel Az’s bonfire for the yummy s’mores.