Pirates Of The Caribbean Fan Fiction ❯ A Pressing Engagement ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Pressing Engagement
By LadyLark
 
Chapter 5 - In Which Jack Has a Conversation with a Dead Man
 
oOo
 
Jack Sparrow slunk further back into the shadows and sent a prayer up to whatever gods were listening that he wouldn't be noticed. He was surprised to see James Norrington on board the ship, but not as surprised as he was to see Cutler Beckett. He had heard from Elizabeth of the man's death while helping her escape from the Dutchman, but he had assumed that the man had crossed over into whatever was waiting at the end of this life.
 
It turned out that Jack had assumed wrong yet again. With Norrington was another sailor who Jack thought looked vaguely familiar, but he couldn't place the face. Probably someone who he had the misfortune to meet at some time or another. Shaking his head to clear the cobwebs, he noted that the two seemed to be on a patrol of the ship.
 
Norrington's eyes flicked left and right taking in everything around him and Jack felt his heart sink a little. The man would likely notice the change in Jack's dinghy's position, but there wasn't anything he could do to remedy that. He didn't have any way to provide a distraction that wouldn't reveal his hiding spot. So, he was stuck. He would just have to wait and see if Norrington would raise an alarm or write off the change as a side effect of the wind.
 
The former commodore did neither. He motioned for the other man to continue his rounds and went and stood by the rail of the ship. Norrington waited for several minutes while Jack held his breath. Finally, he turned and glanced to where Jack was hiding.
 
“You might as well come out here, Jack Sparrow. I've known you were there the whole time.”
 
Jack started in surprise but stayed where he was hidden. He wasn't sure if the man was bluffing and didn't want to give himself away if he was.
 
Norrington sighed. “I don't want to have to drag you out, but I will, and that would alert the entire crew that something was amiss and you really don't want that.”
 
Considering his words, Jack concluded that Norrington was correct. He had a better chance of overpowering and out-thinking one opponent than a whole shipload. He carefully stepped out of the shadows of the Dutchman's lifeboat, taking care to keep the dinghy between himself and the rest of the ship's view. He didn't want to be spotted by another sailor.
 
The dreadlocked pirate smiled wanly. “Fancy meeting you here, Commodore. Or is it Admiral now?”
 
“It's actually just James Norrington, Jack. I lost all claim to my titles when I chose to become a member of the crew,” he corrected. There was pain evident in his tone and Jack knew that he had hit on a sore spot.
 
“And why would you be doing that? Seeing as the members of said crew were responsible for your demise.”
 
Norrington sighed. “I see you've heard about that.”
 
“Elizabeth told me,” Jack said simply.
 
“Ahhh,” Norrington replied. “I should have known. I imagine you were quite pleased by the news seeing how I foiled your plans for the heart.”
 
“Not really, mate. I'd have done the same if I was in your place,” Jack said feeling uncomfortable with the whole conversation. “I wasn't happy to hear you had been killed.” He hadn't been either. He had liked the man, even if he was a thorn in Jack's side.
 
“That is something, at least.” He paused, fixing Jack with a needy look. “You said you heard of the news from Elizabeth?”
 
Jack nodded, not sure where the man was going with his question.
 
“How is she?” Norrington asked hungrily.
 
Stuck by how much like Will the man sounded, Jack blinked at the man in surprise. “She's willful, sneaky, and pretty much your typical Pirate King.”

”She's the Pirate King?” Norrington said in shock.
 
“Yeah, big mistake on my part, I should have voted for meself instead of for her. But that's the rub.”
 
“You voted for her?” Norrington seemed taken aback at the statement. “How does one pick a Pirate King? I would have imagined that the strongest pirate was the king.”
 
“You would think that. However it goes against the Code it does. Must keep to the code and all that rubbish.”
 
“So how is a king chosen?”
 
Jack shrugged. “Each Pirate Lord makes a nomination, and the person with the most nominations assumes the title of king.”
 
“And Elizabeth got the most votes?”
 
“Yeah, two.”
 
“Two? You mean only two Lords voted for her?”
 
“Yeah, each lord voted for themselves. Except me. I voted for her.”
 
“So, in effect, you made her the king?”
 
“Seemed like a good idea at the time. I didn't know then that she was gonna run off with me ship now did I?” Jack started pacing distractedly.
 
“She ran off with your ship?”
 
“Yeah, I was on my way to retrieve me property when I ran into this nasty bit of weather.”
 
“I see,” Norrington said slowly. “So you are once again trapped on the Dutchman.”
 
“Not so much trapped as detained temporarily,” Jack corrected.
 
“Ahhh Jack, you were always one to split hairs.”
 
“Really?” The pirate pulled a greasy dreadlock up to his eye and scrutinized it. “I hadn't noticed before, but you are right. I should have someone look at that,” he said sidling closer to the rail and the dinghy hanging beside it. He turned to leap over the side, when Norrington's voice stopped him.
 
“Jack, wait.”
 
The pirate paused, one leg straddling the rail. “What is it now?”
 
“I'm not supposed to let you leave. You were picked up by the Dutchman; that means you have to make the same choice as the rest of us.”
 
“Yeah, I know. I'm choosing to put off my choice until later.” He paused for a beat. “Much, much later.”
 
“You know I just can't let you go,” Norrington said with a small sigh as he moved closer to where Jack was situated.
 
“You don't have to `let me go,'” Jack started. “You can just refrain from impeding my temporary departure. I promise I will return someday. In fact, I bet you won't even know I was gone.”
 
“I doubt that,” Norrington muttered under his breath.
 
“Why, James, I didn't know you cared. You're going to miss me,” Jack said semi-mockingly. “But it would have never worked out between us. You're far too stuffy. I like my lovers free and loose. And preferably without dangly bits, but that is negotiable.”
 
James Norrington stared at the pirate for several moments in silence. He shook his head sharply before speaking. “I don't believe I ever wanted to know that about you.”
 
“Aw, you're just saying that. But really, I must bid you adieu. I have an appointment with a certain Pirate King that I dare not miss.” The dreadlocked man moved to climb down the ropes to the dinghy below.
 
Before he moved a few inches, Norrington's hand grabbed him and held him firm. “Sparrow, wait. Like I said before, I just can't let you go. It goes against my oath to the Captain and everything within me. But . . .” he trailed off.
 
“But?” Jack prompted.
 
“But, I could be persuaded to turn a blind eye if you give me your sworn word to do something for me.”
 
The pirate assessed the other man warily. “And what would that be, pray?”
 
“Protect Elizabeth in my place,” Norrington said quickly. “Be there for her because Captain Turner and I cannot be. Guard her from her enemies. Keep her safe for us. I do not know if either of us could bear it if it were her ship we were forced meet.”
 
The speech was a little too neat, too precisely delivered to have been thought up on the fly. “Been thinking of that response a long time, have you?” Jack asked shrewdly.
 
Norrington barked out a quick laugh. “I knew it was only a matter of time before one of your infamous escapades would make you end up on the Dutchman. I just had to be patient.”
 
Frowning at the implications, Jack fixed Norrington with a disgusted glare. “Good to know I'm so predictable. I'm going to have to do something about that,” he muttered darkly. It wouldn't do for his enemies to start anticipating his moves. His very unpredictability was what had kept him alive for so long, even after others had written him off as a goner.
 
“What say you, Jack?” Norrington pressed. “I cannot keep other sailors from finding out about you for long.”
 
Jack made several faces before he forced out his answer. “All right, I agree I will watch over her for a time. I cannot guarantee that she will let me, mind. Elizabeth is a very willful woman, as I am certain you are aware. But, I will do what I can.” Jack was trying to find a way to couch his response in generalities and set up several loopholes that he could exploit later. He might have been a pirate, but he didn't like going back on his word if he could help it overmuch.
 
The other man scrutinized Jack's face for several moments, as if he were trying to determine the veracity of his words. Finally, he seemed to find what he was looking for and nodded. “Good. Climb down the ropes into your boat and lower yourself down from there.”
 
“Got it. Out of curiosity, why not wait until the vessel is in the water?”
 
“Because Beckett would sense it on those infernal maps of his and the captain would likely notice as well. You wouldn't make it to your boat in time in order to make any kind of escape,” Norrington explained hurriedly. “Now get moving; I can hear someone coming.”
 
“Right,” Jack agreed quickly. He had no desire to get pulled into a knock down drag out fight with the crew of the Dutchman. “I'll just make me escape before any one notices.”
 
“Too late,” a rough voice called out from the left.
 
Both men started guiltily and turned to face the speaker. He was a heavyset man with a face wrinkled from years under the hot Caribbean sun. Flanking him were two other sailors, one who appeared to be no more than fifteen or sixteen and a lean man with reddish blonde hair.
 
The leader spoke again in his harsh voice. “Where do ye think yer heading ta now, boyo? Dontcha know the rules? Once yer picked up by the Dutchman, ye stay on the Dutchman as either a member o' the crew or as a passenger heading to the great beyond.”
 
Jack shook his head and raised one hand in his best stuffy tutor impression. “Actually, that isn't quite true,” he started pompously. “I, myself, have been aboard the ship several times in the past and always made certain to leave before I overstayed me welcome.”
 
“What was that?” the leader asked, confusion evident in his voice and he blinked at Jack stupidly for several minutes.
 
Jack ignored him and turned his head to address Norrington. “In fact, I think I may have already done so,” he said, motioning discretely toward the three newcomers.
 
Norrington nodded and inched forward to interpose himself between Jack and the sailors. “I heartily concur.”
 
“I'll just be on my way, then.”
 
“Don't forget what you promised,” Norrington reminded, his eyes never leaving the progress of the three sailors.
 
Jack sighed. “I won't. When `ave you known me to go back on me word. I may be a pirate but at least I am an honest pirate.”
 
Norrington started to say something when he was interrupted by the redheaded man. “I think he's going escape, bo'sun.”
 
The heavyset man shot a disgusted glare at the man. “I can see that, ye nitwit.” He yanked his sword from the scabbard at his side. “Get `im!” The other two men drew their weapons and started advancing towards Jack.
 
Norrington swore and pulled out his sword in response. “Jack, get moving!” he ordered while moving to intercept the three men.
 
Steel met steel in a dissonant clash. Norrington was doing his best to maneuver in order to cover Jack's escape but it wasn't easy. He kept having to duck beneath debilitating strikes and Norrington wasn't able to force the three men back and away from the escaping pirate. However, in Norrington's favor, the sailors were surprised to find that they were not making the headway they were expecting given their superior numbers.
 
Jack reached out and grabbed at one of the ropes leading to the hanging boat and missed. He grumbled and looked back at the commotion surrounding him. Norrington's sword flashed out at the three men as he inched backwards towards the rail. Jack admired the man's skill for a moment; he'd forgotten how good of a swordsman James Norrington really was. However he didn't have the liberty to stay and watch the other man; it was time to be leaving.
 
Swinging his other leg over the rail, he couldn't resist getting the last word in. “I'd say it's been a pleasure, but that would be a lie. Instead I will merely like to point out that once again this is the day that you almost caught Captain Ja—“
 
Norrington's free arm cut him off in mid-sentence, elbowing him in the gut hard enough to send him tumbling into the churning seas. Jack landed with a huge splash and frantically propelled himself to the surface.
 
After spewing the water out of his mouth in an arching stream, the pirate shook his head morosely. “I am never going to be able to finish that line,” Jack muttered half to himself and half to the fates whom he was certain were laughing at him.
 
Flipping his sodden dreadlocks out of his face, he looked up in time to see the former admiral cut the rope securing Jack's dangling dinghy to the Dutchman.
 
The boat plummeted into the surging seas, narrowly missing Jack. Instead, it sent a large wave over the pirate, leaving him sputtering. He spat out the seawater and looked over at the boat. It was lurching around aimlessly but it didn't seem to be sinking.
 
“Right. Time to be going then,” he said to no one in particular and started swimming toward the dinghy.
 
After all, he had an appointment to keep.
 
oOo
 
AN:
 
You know, I had the hardest time figuring out how dinghies and lifeboats were stored on Eighteenth Century ships. I figured they wouldn't be towed like a larger ship since that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense but you don't really see them on the Pirates of the Caribbean ships. Silly thing bothered me for days.
 
There are a few in jokes relating to the movies in this chapter, I hope you like them.
 
I look forward to seeing what worked and what didn't for you. One more chapter and an Epilogue and then we are done with this. It is already one of my longest fics to date. And it certainly wasn't supposed to be. ^_^
 
Special thanks go out to HostileCrayon for betaing this for me.
 
Thanks for reading and reviewing!