Please Teacher! Fan Fiction ❯ Childhood Friends ❯ Prelude and Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“Childhood Friends”
A Please, Teacher! Alternate Universe Fan Fiction
By JDHGamer

Disclaimer: I do not own Please, Teacher!, although I hope to one day acquire the movie rights, and am currently working on a script for it. In any case, I have no connections with the original creators at the moment, and this work is purely for the entertainment of the readers.
The characters Dimi-Chan and Juton, however, belong to me, and permission is required if you wish to use them in your own fan fictious works.

Author’s Introduction: This project started off as something I was thinking about while I was taking a nap one day. I was half-dreaming, and this idea popped into my head. It was a “what if?”, as many alternate-universes tend to be, and I was intrigued by the possibilities it presented. Another change I should mention is the replacement of two characters with Dimi-Chan and Juton. All I’ll say about it is that Juton will be a lot less subdued than usual, and Dimi-Chan will be slightly more subdued, but of course, still Dimi-Chan.
Also, on a note about continuity, I’m using some points from the Manga to help cut down on certain points in the story which are a bit “unnecessary”. If you’re read the Manga, you’ll probably know where they are, if not, you’ll just be surprised. lol
With all that said, let’s continue onto the story, beginning with a prelude.

Prelude:

Since Kei Kusanagi was very young, he suffered from an illness he later came to call “stagnation”. Whenever he became anxious or too stressed, or if a certain situation became too much for him to handle, he’d just stop. Literally, he would go into a kind of coma-like state. But when SHE moved in next door, things changed.
He was seven and she was three years older-ten, but they quickly became best friends. When they were together Kei didn’t stop, his life accelerated. Then, her father passed away.
It was a solemn occasion, but still Kei didn’t stop. It had been six years since they had first met. Kei was now thirteen and she was sixteen. He tried to comfort her as best he could, but then he learned that all her sadness was not just about her father’s passing.
Due to her father’s death, her mother could no longer afford to live in this town, and they had to move away. Although she didn’t say where, she indicated that it was very far away and they would probably never see each other again.
After the day she moved away, Kei started stagnating again. Although most of it wasn’t serious, it was still quite a concern. Then, about a year later, another traumatic even occurred in Kei’s life which sent him over the edge and into a stagnation which lasted three years.
When he awoke, his body was still fourteen, and it was like awakening from a restful night’s sleep, but only to discover that it had been one hell of a long nap. He had to move to a new town, go to a new school, make new friends, and all the while trying to keep himself from stagnating again. Then, one day, things changed, and, as Kei would later discover, mostly for the better.

Please, Teacher! – Childhood Friends

Chapter One:

Kei was now eighteen, and in his sophomore year in high school. However, to everyone else, to all his friends, and by appearances, he was fifteen. He was sitting at his desk and contemplating whether or not what he thought he saw last night was just a dream, an illusion, or if it had actually happened.
That aforementioned night he saw something strange in the lake, a ripple as though something were landing in it, although no such object could be seen. He’d seen Star Trek and enough similar science fiction films and TV Shows to consider that it might be some kind of alien space craft using a cloaking device of some sort to make itself invisible. Of course, he then mentally slapped himself thinking that was ridiculous and there must be some logical explanation for what he was seeing that didn’t involve beings from other planets. However, the next thing he saw made him reconsider his earlier theory. Right in front of him, a bunch of blue, fire fly-like things started rising from the ground. Out of it, a figure materialized, a figure that looked…somehow familiar. However, he didn’t give himself much time to look closely enough to discover the reason why, because he started running like hell.
“Heeeeeey you guys!” said a voice Kei recognized very well as belonging to Juton Herkin, one of his friends and classmates, “Listen up, I’ve got some really big news!”
“What, the new issue of Hot Tails Xtra Extreme came out today?!” Dimi-Chan, also known as Dilim Rydre (but only to people who didn’t know her personally), said hopefully.
Juton was tall and had a Harry-Potter haircut that tended to look just as disheveled as described in the books, he also wore glasses, and if they were round and somewhat geeky-looking, you might say he looks like a grown-up Harry Potter, one that decided also to grow a goatee on his chin. Another thing that differentiated him from the big HP was his hair was slightly lighter-colored, but still a reasonably dark brown color.
Dimi-Chan was his girlfriend (and still is, actually), and was much shorter than Juton. She has dark-blue hair that she tends to wear in different ways, but her favorite is when it’s put down, and hanging to about the bottom of her neck. When she was out of school, she’d wear a ball cap that would complete her look. Occasionally, she would have pony-tails and such, but today was not one of those days.
Obliviously, they are quite a perverted pair of people, as made apparent by Dimi-Chan's mention of a hentai manga featuring hermaphrodites and other strange and kinky things.
“No, that’s not coming out until next week. Oh crap, I’m late!” Juton replied.
“You just realized that now?” said Ichigo Morino, the shortest girl, or even person for that mater, in Kei’s circle of friends.
“Yeah, whatever. Anyways, you won’t believe the big news I’ve got!” Juton exclaimed.
“When it comes to you, it seems all of your news is big,” Koishi Herikawa, a dark brown-haired girl who sat in the desk next to Kei commented.
“That’s not true!” Juton retorted.
“So, what’s the big news?” Matugu Shido, a black-haired boy and the last out of Kei’s group of friends asked.
“Well, I’ve heard that our old home room teacher, Mr. Takahashi quit his job!”
“No way!”
“That is…big news…”
“But that’s not the biggest part…drum-roll please!” Juton said, and Dimi-Chan started tapping the desk with her hands for dramatic effect, “Our new home room teacher is…(the drum-roll reaches its crescendo)-A WOMAN!”
“Oh c’mon, she’s probably an old hag like the others.”
“Nope! She’s supper young! And quite a hottie too, I’ve heard!” he said, then added after a bit of a look from Dimi-Chan, “Probably not as hot as my super-sexy girl friend, but definitely a close second!”
“But you haven’t actually seen her?”
“Yeah, but that’s the rumor I’ve heard going ‘round!”
“Don’t you think it’s kind of weird that Takahashi is quitting now? It’s the middle of the semester.” Kei said.
“Whatever, who cares about that old bastard if our teacher is a hot chick!”
“At least you’ll have more motivation to come to class on time.” Ichigo said.
The bell than rang to signify the start of class.
“Hey Juton! Class is starting!”
“Yeah! This is it! The big moment!” Juton said, sitting down, “Are my eyes by a-err, I mean, a second gorgeous presence?!”
Kei just sat down and sighed. Like something like that could even actually happen, it’s not like this is some kind of a fan fiction. Nothing is going to change. With those thoughts, he felt himself starting to stagnate again.
‘No, not now…’ He thought to himself.
Then, the door opened, and everyone stared at the vision of absolute beauty that was entering the classroom. But no one ended up staring as hard as Kei did.
‘No, it can’t be her…can it?’
She stood there for a moment, looking very nervous, and taking a quick glance in Kei’s direction. And, if one looked closely enough, an instant of recognition could be seen within them, combined with a slight amount of confusion before she quickly returned them to the rest of the class.
“Um…I…I am…” she stuttered, “Uh…um.”
Then she quickly turned to the chalkboard and scribbled her name on it. She sighed to herself when she finished.
The black board said “Mizuho Kazami” and she turned around to face the class. Kei nearly fell out of his desk.
‘It IS her!’
“Good morning, class!” she said, “I will be your new home room teacher. My name is Mizuho Kazami. I will be your English teacher as well. I’m new here so I’m sure there’s a lot I still don’t know…but I hope we can all get along.”
It HAD to be her! The voice, the cute pink hair and lavender eyes, not to mention her bountiful bounty, which had increased in size just noticeably since the last time he’d seen her. Was it about two out a half years ago? No, with his stagnation it must’ve been closer to six years-coincidentally equal to the time he had known her.
‘So, she became a teacher, I always thought she might…’
“Um…” Mizuho said to the collectively gawking classroom, “Did I do something wrong?”
“Ahhhhhhh!!!” Juton suddenly cried out, “GREAT! She’s great!”
“Even I have to admit she’s more attractive than me…” Dimi-Chan grumbled to herself.
That day, Kei never got a chance to talk to Mizuho during school, but awhile after he got back home, fate presented him with one.
Walking out onto a balcony after being checked up on by his uncle, Minoru, he noticed a moving van, and then a familiar figure lifting up one of the boxes.
“Huh?” Miz…I mean, Ms. Kazami?” he called down, deciding not to risk calling her by her first name in case she didn’t recognize or remember him.
“Huh? Oh…you’re uhm…one of my students, right?” she asked.
‘Maybe she really doesn’t recognize me…’Kei thought, then said to Mizuho, “It’s uh…Kei, Kei Kusanagi.”
Mizuho almost dropped the box she was holding.
“Uhm…shall I give you a hand?” Kei asked.
“What? No, no! Don’t worry about me!” she said, obviously having trouble keeping her balance.
“Let me…let me…please let me give you a hand!!”
Once they finished, they both took a chance to wipe the sweat off their brows.
“Thanks so much, Kei! You were a great help!” Mizuho said.
“My pleasure…but boy that last box was heavy-what’s in it?” Kei asked.
“That’s a secret!” Mizuho replied with a cute little wink, “Anyway, I’ll make you some tea. Please make yourself at home.”
As Mizuho went over to a nearby Kitchenette, Kei decided to speak up, “You know, when I was a kid, I knew a girl who looked a lot like you, even had the same name, first and last. I think…you wouldn’t happen to be-?”
Mizuho dropped the tea cup she was preparing and fortunately it was made of plastic and didn’t break.
“B-but how? Aren’t you supposed to be eighteen and a senior this year?” she asked.
“So it IS you?!” Kei said, and Mizuho nodded before he continued, “And as for my age…do you remember that condition I used to have before I met you and we became friends?”
“Uh, I think so. Didn’t you call it stagnation?”
“Yeah, it happens when I get stressed. I go into a sort of coma, and it stopped happening when we became friends, but after you left, well…it sort of came back with a vengeance. About a year after you left I had a major attack that had me stagnated for three years. So even though I’m chronically and legally eighteen, my body and mind are like a fifteen year-old’s,” he explained.
“Oh, I’m so sorry!” Mizuho said, setting the tea cup back upright and starting over with her preparations.
“Well, I don’t really think it’s your fault, some other things also happened at the time and set it off,” Kei said, “But, it’s just so strange that you’re my teacher now, and not only that but living next door, just like you lived next door to me when we were kids. It’s like we’re tied together by fate or something. I really thought I’d never see you again…uh?”
Mizuho just handed him some tea, and she had put her hair down.
“Y-your hair…”
“Oh yeah, I put it down. Does it look weird?”
“No, it’s just that, uhm…”
His mind flashed back to the girl he saw at the lake, and how familiar she had looked to him.
“It looks like you remember that too…” Mizuho said, “Last night, you were the one who saw me…”
“No, now way. You…have you been taken over by body snatchers or something?! Or have you always-?!”
His head was spinning.
‘Oh no, I’m going to stagnate again…’ Kei thought as everything around him turned to blackness.
“Kei…Kei?...Kei?!”
Kei awoke in an unfamiliar environment, the walls looked completely white and shaped like some kind of octagonal dome.
“Are you awake, Kei?” Mizuho asked with obvious concern.
“Mizuho, where am I?” Kei asked.
“Perhaps I should answer the question you asked me before you stagnated first. Yes, I have always been an alien…well, half-alien, my father was human. Remember the ‘Piloted Mars Probing Project’ in 2009?”
“Oh yeah, it disappeared for reasons unexplained. So you mean he was one of the crew members?”
“Yeah, the crew was taken under the care of the Galaxy Federation. My father met my mother, they fell in love, and I was born. Then it took about ten years to convince the Federation Council to let us live on Earth as a family. We finally were able to after a few cosmetic alterations were made to my father so no one on Earth could recognize him as one of the missing astronauts. So we moved next door and that’s when we met…”
“So, when your father died-“
“The Council no longer saw a reason for us to live on Earth, so they ordered us back into space. My mother did most of the protesting on my behalf, but it all fell on deaf ears.”
“So how’d you get back here?”
“I dedicated my life to becoming a resident reporter.”
“Resident reporter?”
“My purpose is to observe and study the life style of beings on underdeveloped planets, so that we won’t make the mistakes that races such as yours have been making on their planets.”
“Ah.”
“I could’ve taken several much more prestigious positions or even gone to observe a more interesting planet, but more than anything, I wanted to go back to Earth,” Mizuho said, “And I came here specifically because I’d…uh…heard you lived here now.”
“Is that why you’re in the apartment building next door, and the home room teacher of my class?”
“Actually, those were just coincidences…”
“But how did you know I lived in this town? Do your people actually keep tabs on everyone living on Earth?”
“Well, actually, my mother secretly took a scan of your bio-signature so she could track you for me. Although I suppose your three year stagnations explains why we thought you might’ve been dead for awhile because we lost your signal. Before I got to choose where I was to be stationed, I decided to just check one more time, since we’d had a few ‘signal disruptions’ before, although they usually only lasted around a couple hours. In any case, to my surprise I found your signature, albeit in a different town than where you were before. So I asked to be posted here, just on the chance I might be able to meet you again. I just didn’t expect to find you the instant I teleported out of the ship!”
“You probably didn’t expect me to be in your new home room class either, huh?” Kei said.
“No, I did the math and figured you’d be eighteen, and I was kind of happy about that too, since we probably could-“ she then stopped herself.
“Probably could what, Mizuho?”
“Oh, never mind. It really doesn’t matter, anyway.”
“Okay…whatever,” Kei said, “So, uh…I guess I’ll have to keep this whole alien thing a secret, huh?”
“Yeah, well if you DO tell anyway, I just might have to eat you!” Mizuho said with a little giggle.
Kei, however, took it seriously and started backing away from her.
“No! Trust me! I don’t taste good! Ahhh!”
At that moment, Mizuho regretted neglecting to close the door to the chamber as Kei ran off through it.
“Kei, I was only joking!” she said, ‘And even if I wasn’t, I’d mean it in a different way than what you’re thinking, hehe!’
“Oh yeah! Marie! Emergency! We’ve got an intruder! Give me his location, this is a priority one command!” she said.
Meanwhile, Kei had just stumbled into a control room and was trying to fiddle around with the control panel.
“This is a life or deaf situation!” Kei said out loud to himself, “I will do whatever it takes to get myself out of here!”
“Marie?! What’s going on, Marie? Inform me of the intruder’s location immediately!” Mizuho’s voice rang over an intercom system.
“Oh…what am I doing?! I bet she was just joking about eating me…I mean, that would make her a cannibal…well, half cannibal, anyway,” Kei said, “But, who the heck is Marie?”
“Noh.” Kei heard a small voice say before seeing an odd-looking face in front of him.
“Noh?” It said again, staring at him, then it made the mistake of landing on his hand.
“Ack! What the hell is this thing?!” he said as he swapped it away violently.
Then the ship started to tilt over, shifting the center of gravity and throwing both Kei and Mizuho off-balance.
“Eeek!” Mizuho screamed, “Oh no, we’re lifting off! We aren’t even cloaked, someone might see us! Marie, what’s going on?!”
Then she started floating in the air.
“Now gravity control’s messed up!” she said as she floating conveniently into the control room where Kei was clinging for dear life to the railing around the control panel.
“Y-you were j-joking about eating me, right?!” Kei asked.
“Of course, childhood friends are my least favorite flavor of human! Hehe! Oh…uh yeah, you should probably hold on, okay?”
“You don’t need to tell me twice. Heck, you probably didn’t have to tell me at all!”
“Marie? Get up Marie! MARIE!”
“Noh…” it said, floating downwards, away from Mizuho.
“Marie! Set the system to default! This is a priority one order!”
“Noh…”
“Nooooo! Marie’s broken too!”
“Uh…Mizuho!” Kei said as bright lights formed around him.
“What? Why are you teleporting?” she said, “No! You can’t teleport now! I won’t be able to track you down!”
So she “swam” and grabbed hold of Kei’s hand.
“Okay, Kei. Hold onto me. Don’t worry, no matter where we end up, I’ll get us out of there!”
SPLASH!
“What the?” Kei said.
They had landed in a bathtub, with Kei on top of Mizuho and her arms wrapped around his neck. It was quite a compromising-look position, good thing no one else was-
“KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIII!!”
To be continued…

Author’s Conclusion: My favorite change in this fan fiction has been the way Kei refers to Mizuho by her first name. I always thought it was a bit corny that Kei always referred to her as Ms. Kusanagi, and it was even worse in the English dub with him constantly referring to her as “Ma’am” (If I eventually do make the anime into a movie, that’s the main thing I want to change-the way Kei addresses Mizuho). I’d also like to mention that in my written draft, I’m actually only about halfway through Chapter One, but I’m compressing this based on the length of the episodes so I can make the chapters a little shorter. The next chapter will have more interesting things happening, and will diverge a bit more from the plot of the anime and manga. At the moment I’m pretty pleased with how this first chapter has unfolded and hope you like the work I put into the alternate back story. Just one more thing I’d like to note as a story change is the time of Mizuho’s father’s death. Whereas in all other versions of the story, he died when Mizuho was very young, in this alternate universe, he died when she was a teenager. Also, Mizuho’s age is pretty much established as twenty-one, although it’s not actually said, if you do the math that’s how it turns out. The back story for that I’ll go ahead and mention here because I don’t think there will really be an opportunity to in the story itself.

Mizuho’s Fabricated Background: She was a child prodigy in school and was skipped ahead a few grades and went to college at about sixteen and graduated with honors and a major in teaching when she was about twenty. After a bit of time as a student-teacher, and taking a few jobs as a substitute, she finally landed a job, coming highly recommended by the schools she had worked in previously, at the school in Kei’s town. This entire thing, of course, is just something that the Galaxy Federation forged into Earth records, and implanted memories in several people at different places so it all checks out. Hence, her Earth age is currently twenty-one, and in fact, she does have a similarly good academic record with the Galaxy Federation Academy, which gives some truth to the falsified information.

I hope that gave you a bit of insight, and I can’t help but feel I’m getting really good at this alternate-universe back-story thing. Lol

Cya next chapter!