Please Teacher! Fan Fiction ❯ Onegai Bounty Hunter ❯ Summer Lovin ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Zabaione pulled a small instrument from her pocket. The object resembled a cell phone, although Matagu had never seen one designed like hers. She pressed a few buttons on the keypad, getting readouts from the lake. If she were Kazami, she would have hidden her ship below the surface near the bottom. The fugitive's Marie-siel vessel, while undetectable to Earth's inhabitants was easily locatable by Galactic Federation technology of Zabaione's caliber. Kazami did not own a warship, so the cloaking device was not that advanced.
 
Matagu watched her, sensing she was a thousand miles away in thought. He felt awkward, unused to being alone with a woman. “How long have you been a Planet Inspector?” he struck up a conversation.
 
“Four years,” she replied, not fully lying. Her career track did match the fugitives in length of service.
 
“What was your training like?” he asked.
 
“It was challenging,” she admitted. “I graduated at the top of my class, though.”
 
“Are all your races humanoid?”
 
“Intelligent life you mean?” she wondered. When he nodded, she continued. “There are many beings that aren't humanoid who are members of the Federation.”
 
“I believed that before I even met you,” he smiled. “I did have an encounter with a ghost last year that fed off my life force, leaving me in the hospital for a time.”
 
“A wraith?” she commented, seeming to understand.
 
Hyosuke Magumo sat in the projection booth of the movie theater, glad he had a job that kept him cool all summer. He let the air conditioner blow right behind him as he leafed through materials related to his move to Tokyo University. Having already taken the entrance exams, the bleach blond student only had to work out what classes he would enroll in and where to live. His quiet time was interrupted by a ring tone on his cell phone. Kaede.
 
“Hello sweetness,” he greeted good naturedly.
 
When it came to his friends, he was always in an upbeat, rosy mood. With her, it was magnified.
 
“Hyosuke,” her soft voice spoke. “How's everything at work?”
 
“Good for a change. The new movies are out today,” he replied.
 
“Don't forget later, we're invited to a cook out at Kamishiro's place,” she reminded him.
 
“I haven't! I'm the barbecue master!” he declared mightily.
 
“Guess what, this morning your best friend came into the café with a pretty woman,” Kaede informed him.
 
“One of his many relatives, I'll wager,” dismissed the other. “He has more cousins than Carter has liver pills.”
 
“No, it was an American girl; she was very striking,” the red head continued.
 
“That dog!” Hyosuke proclaimed loudly, then checked himself. He hoped the movie goers had not heard his outburst. “I've been his boy for ten years and he's holding out on me? Hell, I told him about us after that time in Okinawa right away!”
 
Kaede paused in shock. “You could ask him to bring her to the barbecue.”
 
“That's what I'm gonna do, babe. And when he gets there, he's gonna get an ass whuppin'.”
 
“I'll talk to you later,” she said with a chuckle.
 
“Bye hon,” he bade her then hit “walkie-talkie” to connect with Matagu.
 
“You dirty dog!” Hyosuke's voice erupted in his friend's speaker.
 
“Hyosuke!” Matagu's said nervously into the phone. He glanced at Zabaione who remained focused on her own device.
 
“Why'd you hold out on me, you bum?”
 
“What do you mean?” the other asked, feigning innocence.
 
“I know you're with a hottie right now! What are her measurements?”
 
His cheeks flushed, but his companion remained nonplussed. “Er, so how are things at the theater?”
 
“Do I sense the dissolution of the Virgin Federation?” teased the aspiring statesman.
 
“Come on, bro,” the black haired teen winced.
 
“Anyhow, you better show at Kamishiro's crib tonight. They're having a cookout before Karen's recital.”
 
“I'll be there,” Matagu assured him. “Got to go, later.”
 
He pocketed his cell then turned to Zabaione. “Just my goofy pal, Hyosuke.”
 
“Your best friend,” she surmised.
 
The male nodded.
 
Miaku Kamishiro parked his scooter outside Herikawa Groceries. He had spent all morning at his data processing job, but took this afternoon break to pick up the supplies for the barbecue he and the girls were throwing that evening.
 
Miina brightened noticeably when she saw him enter the store. Despite their living arrangements, her feelings for him hadn't wavered in over a year. Both of them were very much in love, but their relationship had yet to progress to a more serious one. Something also seemed to prevent the two of them from spending quality time together. Karen always made sure to keep them at bay when they were in the house and whenever they went out, she always tagged along as a chaperone. Miaku juggled his computer job and school work very well. He was also planning ahed, trying to decide where he wanted to attend college.
 
“Hey Mike,” she gave him a radiant smile.
 
“Good afternoon,” his baby blues stared at her with affection.
 
“I took some time to put everything we needed into bags,” she told him. “There's more than enough for twelve to fifteen people.”
 
“Great,” he smiled. “What's on the menu?”
 
“Yakitori, hamburgers, hot dogs, homemade salads, watermelon,” she replied, pointing to the huge green shape on the counter.
 
“I've been wanting to try out that new grill,” he told her, as he wondered how he was going to lug the watermelon home on his bike. “Remember, I'll help you two out by doing the grilling.”
 
He handed her the money.
 
“That means you might have to kiss the cook,” Koishi said, appearing at the counter. “Hey Kamishiro!”
 
“Sempai,” the younger man acknowledged the brunette Herikawa.
 
“My cousin is visiting this summer. Miina and I decided to have him come tonight to your house then the recital,” she told him.
 
“The more, the merrier,” shrugged Mike.
 
“He's a skilled musician and aspiring composer,” she winked. “Maybe someone who can catch your little sister's fancy,” she grinned conspiratorially.
 
He seemed okay with the idea then noticed Miina's shy smile and flushed cheeks.
 
“See you later,” he nodded at the girls, then departed with his arms quite full.