Please Teacher! Fan Fiction ❯ Onegai Bounty Hunter ❯ Duel at the School ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was midway through the concert at the school, when Mizuho excused herself to go to her office and check on any sign of the wayward Marie. Sure, he disappeared from time to time, usually spending it at the Kamishiro place, but he would usually respond to her summons. Haruko's story of another being like him made her think her mother and sister had returned for a visit. Maybe they were up to their spying games, trying to record material of her and Kei engaging in marital activity. She began to feel a sense of dread, when a search of her workspace came up empty. So, she went through the teacher's lounge then into the locker room. Winding the combination lock, she could still hear Karen's brilliant piano playing from downstairs. The girl was the third performer of the music club, who had worked with the Student Council to arrange for the recital.
“So, this is your work place,” said an ominous voice.
The young teacher froze, she hadn't even been aware of being followed or any doors opening or closing. Every muscle in her body tensed, her heartbeat began to race.
The lean, lithe woman stepped into view, her shoes not making any sound. Her movements were fluid and graceful, her face impassive, eyes intensely focused.
“This is my work place,” Mizuho agreed warily. “Why did you follow me up here? This area is off limits to non employees.”
“Kazami, I just wanted to see why you chose this simple life over a promising career,” Zabaione reasoned.
The other's worst fears were realized. Standing before her had to be one of her own people, come to arrest her. She knew that there was no reasoning with her kind.
“I take it you're the reason behind Marie's disappearance,” she spoke in a low voice.
The marshal nodded, while reaching for a set of restraints in a pouch on her belt.
“You will find I'm quite willing to stand up for myself!” Mizuho bellowed, whipping out a can of mace and spraying a stream at her adversary.
Zabaione, a seasoned professional, had been anticipating anything. She stepped aside, avoiding the crippling burst. In a blur, the teacher rushed out another door, running down the empty hallway. The law woman followed, a little perturbed she hadn't been able to apprehend her immediately. Rushing into the nearest classroom, she closed the door behind her and locked it. It would take her pursuer a few moments to pick the lock or break the door handle. Breathing heavily, she activated her space outfit, a skintight black garment that accentuated her curvaceous body. It could adjust itself to her needs, showing cleavage, giving her shorter sleeves, etc. She rushed over to the window and opened it just as Zabaione dashed through the opened door. Looking down, she wondered whether to take the two story plunge.
“Kazami, there's no sense in fleeing. You know I can track you anywhere on this planet with Molly-seil,” the hunter sternly told her.
“I don't want to go back!” the other screamed. “Just go away!”
“You know that's impossible,” sighed the green haired female.
The teacher produced what looked like a laser pointer from a compartment on her outfit, only it wasn't just a laser pointer. At the click of a button, the tool expanded in size to jumbo flashlight size and could emit a solid blade of energy.
“Resisting is another charge I can add to your list of crimes,” Costada warned. “Don't make me hurt you.”
Mizuho's eyes narrowed. This person meant to take her away from everything she held dear. Normally a kind and gentle soul, when faced with the prospect of losing Kei again, she had to resort to extreme measures. Swinging the makeshift alien sword in random patterns, the former planet observer rushed at the bounty hunter, who did a backflip to avoid the initial attack. The deadly slash cut through a student's desk as if it were made of paper.
Zabaione took a defensive stance in the back of the classroom. “Okay, you want to play rough?” She touched her interface with Molly.
Soon, her own silver skintight leotard suit replaced her Earth casuals. Unclipping a baton from her belt, she took a grip with both hands then ignited her own blade to parry Kazami's wild swings. Despite the half human's relative inexperience in combat, the lethal weapon itself made up for some deficiencies. Still, Zabione wondered how her superiors would react if she brought Kazami back in pieces. That was something she never intended to do.
Kei looked at his watch, noting his wife had been gone for a bit too long. She had missed most of Karen's pieces. He wondered if she felt sick and was in the bathroom. She had probably gone to the teacher's lounge for privacy. A sense of unease came over him when he saw the empty chair next to Matagu.
The latter wondered if Zabaione had decided to leave without notifying him. She had abruptly stood up and left mid concert. He wondered if the music had offended her in some way or if something he had done made her angry. Maybe the barbecued food she had eaten didn't agree with her.